16" RECOIL vs competitor. Opinions/experiences?

m10882

So, I'm trying to decide if the 16" Recoil would be a better option for me than a competitor. Main/important to me specs as follows:

RECOIL
-
i9 13900hx
32gb
4080 12gb
2560x1600
Competitor
-
i7 13650hx
16gb
4080 12gb
1920x1200
Pricing on the Recoil would be about €300 higher than on the competitor. (An equivalent competitor would be about €700 more, which is out of budget.)
Do you think it's worth it for the increased specs? Does anyone have experience of either model they want to share?
The main factors in my decision are price and performance. I'm not bothered about portability or battery life— I only need a laptop as I will be doing air travel with it a few times a year, so a desktop isn't really an option, but it will be docked almost all of the time. Usage will be strictly gaming, things like BG3 or Cyberpunk 2077 or Starfield. I use a Macbook Pro for my work needs, but had issues with even BG3 on it. If I'm going to go to the expense/trouble of a dedicated gaming machine, I don't want to go back to turning down settings to avoid lag, so I don't see the point in getting something with less power.
Bearing the above in mind, would appreciate any info anyone might want to share on this!

Last edited by a moderator:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
We can only advise on PCS systems, but the Recoil has been benchmarked as the most powerful laptop in class, on the caveat that the "optional" water cooler is really essential, without it it will thermal throttle, so that's an additional cost that needs to be considered.

1440p vs 1080p is a substantial improvement though, 1080p is incredibly weak by todays standards, even on a laptop. But of course it needs far more power to drive.

Last edited:

m10882

We can only advise on PCS systems, but the Recoil has been benchmarked as the most powerful laptop in class, on the caveat that the "optional" water cooler is really essential, without it it will thermal throttle, so that's an additional cost that needs to be considered.

1440p vs 1080p is a substantial improvement though, 1080p is incredibly weak by todays standards, even on a laptop. But of course it needs far more power to drive.

Thank you for your reply! How much of an impact would the throttling have, do you think? I'll be overseas enough the water cooling might not be feasible for a decent chunk of the time.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Thank you for your reply! How much of an impact would the throttling have, do you think? I'll be overseas enough the water cooling might not be feasible for a decent chunk of the time.
There's an in depth walkthrough on performance and thermals here, worth taking a look through