16GB AMD RADEON™ RX 6800 XT Availability

Snuggles

I tried to amend my order by changing from amd standard model to the xfx one. (Just to see)
On the confirmation page, the stock status of the xfx merc 319 6800xt is orange meaning that it’s in stock but there are more orders with this card in waiting list than the number of cards currently in stock which I have to admit think it’s pretty hard to understand.
Why would you let people order cards even though you know all stock will go in the orders that have been processed before you... 🤔
I had ordered a Merc 319 6800xt as part of my build, the order went through with no stock warnings etc. I had an email saying it was all good with an estimated build date of 30/4/21. I never really expected them to meet that build date so when nothing seemed to change on the 30th I wasn't that worried.

A couple of days later I had an email saying my order was processing and they would send an update asap.

I spoke to PSC to clarify what they meant by processing as that seemed to be a step back on the tracker, I was told as far as the rep was aware the card shouldn't have been listed and may have been an issue with the web browser I was using (I used both fully updated Safari and Chrome so not sure if that really was the case). On their end for my order, the card was listed as ETA: N/A.

Asked the rep if they had any of the Merc 6900xt in stock he said there was and there wasn't much backlog, so had them amend the order to that. Not heard anything yet but fingers crossed.

To me, it seems it may have been listed in error or they just had too many with existing orders decide to switch when they became available. Heyho mistakes happen to the best of us :), Fingers crossed we all get our desired rigs soon.

CMP01

Enthusiast
I had ordered a Merc 319 6800xt as part of my build, the order went through with no stock warnings etc. I had an email saying it was all good with an estimated build date of 30/4/21. I never really expected them to meet that build date so when nothing seemed to change on the 30th I wasn't that worried.

A couple of days later I had an email saying my order was processing and they would send an update asap.

I spoke to PSC to clarify what they meant by processing as that seemed to be a step back on the tracker, I was told as far as the rep was aware the card shouldn't have been listed and may have been an issue with the web browser I was using (I used both fully updated Safari and Chrome so not sure if that really was the case). On their end for my order, the card was listed as ETA: N/A.

Asked the rep if they had any of the Merc 6900xt in stock he said there was and there wasn't much backlog, so had them amend the order to that. Not heard anything yet but fingers crossed.

To me, it seems it may have been listed in error or they just had too many with existing orders decide to switch when they became available. Heyho mistakes happen to the best of us :), Fingers crossed we all get our desired rigs soon.

Seems like we both had the same idea. I actually amended to a 6900XT Merc when I originally wanted a 6800XT but both options I found to be preorder only after I ordered/amended to them. Seems that the connect between stock and no stock/preorder only is slow. I actually tried a few mock builds from fresh to see which cards got a preorder only warning and only the 6900XT was good to go asap apparently. Now I wait and see if my order status changes. If not then I dunno but I don't have many weeks to wait nm that taking a 6900XT over a 6800/6800XT is a chunk more for not as much more perf comparatively speaking but for me worth it as I have a tight window to get a lot settled in. I'd guess fewer ppl would spend that much more instead of waiting but then again, look what I did. Difference is a good few folks are coming from only a gen back or prebuilding for the GPU only (yes, that's a thing going by some forums I've seen)

More transparency or a better system of determining stock level/availability from order through the process would be great though, to save days or weeks of waiting in the dark. I know the situation re GPU's is nuts rn but still it's a matter of counting and reporting, can't be that hard.

PS: Yeah, just checked, that 6900XT Merc is now out of stock/preorder only, and there's zero info to let me know if I'm on the list for what's in now or out of luck and on a waiting list until July at the earliest (and then x weeks to build etc) and that's the problem right there. Not knowing from one week to the next. It could've been hours, a whole day even, between accepted orders and the sudden realisation there's no stock.

Last edited:

CMP01

Enthusiast
And another thing I just took a look, via amending order, to see what the down low is on ETA of new stock...
Here's the thing, I already had the 4000D Airflow case, H100i Capellix AiO and 6800XT Merc locked in with no probs over a week ago except what I mentioned in my PS above.

NOW it tells me that particular GPU I amended to yesterday, the 6900XT Merc, is too big for that case with that cooler in it (and same when trying with the 6800XT, which for that model is the same size anyway) when it wasn't a prob before when I went through it either last night, a few days before or the first time I checked a week or so back. So NOW it tells me something that ain't so, what IS this? That cooler should be roof mounted anyway by anybody's standards so what's the GPU length (340mm) got to do with a case that has enough space (360mm) for it 24 hours and longer ago?

Something here is seriously janky and I feel I'm getting my chain yanked.

Last edited by a moderator:
When I originally ordered back in March I was hoping to get it by May, seeing people post in here that they got their build in 19 days got my hopes up.

Yet here we are now, and I'm just hoping it comes before July....

CMP01

Enthusiast
Just amended my build to have no GPU (got a good offer out of the blue right after my last comment here)

Let's hope that PCS can get builds sans GPU out any quicker than ones with.

Snuggles

And another thing (and this is really BS now) I just took a look, via amending order, to see what the down low is on ETA of new stock...
Here's the thing, I already had the 4000D Airflow case, CH100i apellix AiO and 6800XT Merc locked in with no probs over a week ago except what I mentioned in my PS above.

NOW it tells me that particular GPU I amended to yesterday, the 6900XT Merc, is too big for that case with that cooler in it (and same when trying with the 6800XT, which for that model is the same size anyway) when it wasn't a prob before when I went through it either last night, a few days before or the first time I checked a week or so back. So NOW it tells me something that ain't so, what IS this? That cooler should be roof mounted anyway by anybody's standards so what's the GPU length (340mm) got to do with a case that has enough space (360mm) for it 24 hours and longer ago?

Something here is seriously janky and I feel I'm getting my chain yanked.

Interesting, I have the 5000D Airflow on order on order with H100x cooler which I would assume both are almost identical in size, there was no mention of compatibility issues.

When you say now it tells you, was that someone from PCS contacting you to amend your order or just from recreating your order in the configurator? I would have thought if they start building and come up with an issue of compatibility then you wouldn't lose your place in the build order. I would hope anyway :ROFLMAO:

What Cpu were you going for? Is that in stock for you at least?

When I originally ordered back in March I was hoping to get it by May, seeing people post in here that they got their build in 19 days got my hopes up.

Yet here we are now, and I'm just hoping it comes before July....
Fingers crossed bud.

CMP01

Enthusiast
Interesting, I have the 5000D Airflow on order on order with H100x cooler which I would assume both are almost identical in size, there was no mention of compatibility issues.

When you say now it tells you, was that someone from PCS contacting you to amend your order or just from recreating your order in the configurator? I would have thought if they start building and come up with an issue of compatibility then you wouldn't lose your place in the build order. I would hope anyway :ROFLMAO:

What Cpu were you going for? Is that in stock for you at least?

It was the window that pops up after you click on 'proceed'.
I've had it question other things before; PSU wattage, amount of fans ordered vs number of slots in case and case fans already installed etc etc. This was the first time it warned about the GPU length leaving no room re the case with a 240mm AiO but it didn't before when I configured/ordered/amended with the same case and AiO and both 6800XT and 6900XT versions of the XFX Speedster GPU option.
It's almost like it didn't see it before but only now realised belatedly. Even so, going by the manufacturers data it should be ok.
As for build order it's now in day 9 of preproduction so I dunno...

As for the CPU, I toyed around with 5600X and 5800X, no stock/preorder messages came up about those so I assume those are in stock.
I've now amended my order to have no GPU at all, a 5800X, H100i Capellix as before. The case fans I was always going to do myself after the warning (as above) re those being too many if I got the fan kit I wanted and customer service confirming that it couldn't be done as a special request either (but who wants a build with two RGB fans on the AiO and two non RGB out of the 4 left?) Better I buy fans to match the AiO and fit them myself, said AiO comes with enough fan controller (that should be installed) to do that easily enough.

Snuggles

It was the window that pops up after you click on 'proceed'.
I've had it question other things before; PSU wattage, amount of fans ordered vs number of slots in case and case fans already installed etc etc. This was the first time it warned about the GPU length leaving no room re the case with a 240mm AiO but it didn't before when I configured/ordered/amended with the same case and AiO and both 6800XT and 6900XT versions of the XFX Speedster GPU option.
It's almost like it didn't see it before but only now realised belatedly. Even so, going by the manufacturers data it should be ok.
As for build order it's now in day 9 of preproduction so I dunno...

As for the CPU, I toyed around with 5600X and 5800X, no stock/preorder messages came up about those so I assume those are in stock.
I've now amended my order to have no GPU at all, a 5800X, H100i Capellix as before. The case fans I was always going to do myself after the warning (as above) re those being too many if I got the fan kit I wanted and customer service confirming that it couldn't be done as a special request either (but who wants a build with two RGB fans on the AiO and two non RGB out of the 4 left?) Better I buy fans to match the AiO and fit them myself, said AiO comes with enough fan controller (that should be installed) to do that easily enough.
Weird, my order went into the building this morning so maybe the configurator was having a moment. Will see what happens.

My build includes a 5800x as well, I was only a few days ahead of you in the build order so fingers crossed you should be in building soon, if not already. :)

curumo30

Sadly, I really can't afford to change to a XFX 6900XT...

I contacted them 2 days ago to know if the situation changed and once again it really wasn't clear. Firstly, they told me they haven't had any 6800xt cards over a month so that's why they didn't complete any orders.

I then asked them about the xfx 6800xt they received and why they apparently decided to let people order them instead of completing existing 6800xt orders (like before). They answered that, actually, they did complete orders with these GPUs and that it was the reason this model went out of stock that quickly.
So, all in all, I can't say if it's good news or bad news. :confused:

Snuggles

Sadly, I really can't afford to change to a XFX 6900XT...

I contacted them 2 days ago to know if the situation changed and once again it really wasn't clear. Firstly, they told me they haven't had any 6800xt cards over a month so that's why they didn't complete any orders.

I then asked them about the xfx 6800xt they received and why they apparently decided to let people order them instead of completing existing 6800xt orders (like before). They answered that, actually, they did complete orders with these GPUs and that it was the reason this model went out of stock that quickly.
So, all in all, I can't say if it's good news or bad news. :confused:
I think that ship has sailed already anyway, they are out of stock of the 6900x now it seems.

I do have sympathy for PCS though, the sheer amount of orders they are getting and as soon as something changes stock wise everyone rushes to amend their orders. Keeping track of everything must be a nightmare at the moment (I'm guilty of this too).

That said I have empathy for you too, waiting and not knowing is a painful game.

CMP01

Enthusiast
Weird, my order went into the building this morning so maybe the configurator was having a moment. Will see what happens.

My build includes a 5800x as well, I was only a few days ahead of you in the build order so fingers crossed you should be in building soon, if not already. :)

Hopefully. I won't be amending the order any further than as it is now.

As I mentioned last night I managed to source a GPU from elsewhere, almost by chance, and it just so happened to be the make and model that I'd have chosen (Sapphire Nitro+) had I gone for an AMD card via normal ways and times. That's now shipping already so all good there.
I'm waiting for a confirmation of build as it stands before I splash on the planned monitor, light enhancement kit, kb, and case fans I'll be fitting upon arrival. It'd be just my luck now that the build takes so long (even without a GPU) that the above extra parts go out of stock, never to return, or if they do, with an inflated price.

Snuggles

Hopefully. I won't be amending the order any further than as it is now.

As I mentioned last night I managed to source a GPU from elsewhere, almost by chance, and it just so happened to be the make and model that I'd have chosen (Sapphire Nitro+) had I gone for an AMD card via normal ways and times. That's now shipping already so all good there.
I'm waiting for a confirmation of build as it stands before I splash on the planned monitor, light enhancement kit, kb, and case fans I'll be fitting upon arrival. It'd be just my luck now that the build takes so long (even without a GPU) that the above extra parts go out of stock, never to return, or if they do, with an inflated price.
Very nice, hope it all comes together nicely for ya :)

Delta9

It is frustrating with so many people waiting that they separately sell one brand rather than serving everyone in order.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
It is frustrating with so many people waiting that they separately sell one brand rather than serving everyone in order.
Odd comment? You want them to take away choice? If people can afford the higher tier cards, surely it makes sense to offer them?

CMP01

Enthusiast

It's not even that, nm that being in a queue is fine, first come first served with patience is the British way after all.

It's just that there seems to be no fast and accurate collation between stock and sold. What has annoyed me is that I've made or amended an order, message upon proceeding says all is well and stocked, then finding out a day or two later that there is actually no stock for 1-2 months (nm the ne that okayed a build then later informed me it wouldn't fit together...)
That may have even prolonged the pre-production stage of my build, now at 10 days (though again, I have no idea what the average is atm, nm going by parts other than GPU's) Transparency in those ways are lacking, as much as I understand the circumstances that PCS labour under atm.

Anyway, as mentioned, the GPU is no longer part of a build here that need be any concern nor increase wait times unduly imo, so I'll wait a few more days and see if there's any movement at all, then maybe have to think again especially if I check stock and all else re parts is fine.
It's one thing to wait overlong on a build due to lack of GPU stock, another to have sourced a GPU but then have no build for just as long...

curumo30

Odd comment? You want them to take away choice? If people can afford the higher tier cards, surely it makes sense to offer them?
I agree with you, it does seem right that they sell it separately if people want to/can pay more to have this specific model but what's frustrating is that, not so long ago, people ordering the very same non specific rx 6800 xt model than me (among others) used to receive those XFX RX 6800XT MERC. So why choose to complete existing orders before but sell it separately today when the situation is even worse for that GPU ?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I agree with you, it does seem right that they sell it separately if people want to/can pay more to have this specific model but what's frustrating is that, not so long ago, people ordering the very same non specific rx 6800 xt model than me (among others) used to receive those XFX RX 6800XT MERC. So why choose to complete existing orders before but sell it separately today when the situation is even worse for that GPU ?
I can't say conclusively, I don't know the history other than that early adopters were very lucky since the 6800XT is $300 more expensive than a standard 6800XT AT MSRP which nothing is at anyway so that difference is very likely to be vastly more than that nowadays.

So if PCS were giving them as a standard option, then they were taking a ginormous hit on cost to get orders out of the door.

The fact they've split if off should have been the case at the start, it's a bonus they were doing, not a problem that they've split it off now, you're looking at it from the wrong angle.

CMP01

Enthusiast
I can't say conclusively, I don't know the history other than that early adopters were very lucky since the 6800XT is $300 more expensive than a standard 6800XT AT MSRP which nothing is at anyway so that difference is very likely to be vastly more than that nowadays.

So if PCS were giving them as a standard option, then they were taking a ginormous hit on cost to get orders out of the door.

The fact they've split if off should have been the case at the start, it's a bonus they were doing, not a problem that they've split it off now, you're looking at it from the wrong angle.

Good point though. Imagine unboxing and seeing you have a better version of what you thought you had... sweet, right?
It's like a certain company sending along Tangfastics with your goodies, but way better.

That said though, I do kind of like the old muscle car radiator grill looks of the current AMD ref cards more than the Speedster's backplate at least (I'd have had to vertical mount that one) and I hate how not a few partner cards even now go for that multifaceted look Nvidia FE's had a few years back. Ugh.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
It's not even that, nm that being in a queue is fine, first come first served with patience is the British way after all.

It's just that there seems to be no fast and accurate collation between stock and sold. What has annoyed me is that I've made or amended an order, message upon proceeding says all is well and stocked, then finding out a day or two later that there is actually no stock for 1-2 months (nm the ne that okayed a build then later informed me it wouldn't fit together...)
That may have even prolonged the pre-production stage of my build, now at 10 days (though again, I have no idea what the average is atm, nm going by parts other than GPU's) Transparency in those ways are lacking, as much as I understand the circumstances that PCS labour under atm.

Anyway, as mentioned, the GPU is no longer part of a build here that need be any concern nor increase wait times unduly imo, so I'll wait a few more days and see if there's any movement at all, then maybe have to think again especially if I check stock and all else re parts is fine.
It's one thing to wait overlong on a build due to lack of GPU stock, another to have sourced a GPU but then have no build for just as long...
I think that PCS are being as transparent as they can be. There is no way for example, that they can predict what ammendments people ahead of you in the build queue might make. As we've mentioned many times already, parts may well be in stock at the time of your order, but if there are 5000 people ahead of you in the build queue - all of whom could make multiple amendments to their orders - then how are PCS supposed to predict what stock levels will be when your order gets into build?

When you place and pay for an order you've not actually bought anything except a guaranteed place in a build queue.