17.3" Optimus IV how much testing do pcs do

Hi any one with a 17.3" Optimus IV having problems with there laptop, from day 1 all i seam to get is the bsod was told by pcs its a driver thing
updated driver still the same, got to the point did a full format of hd, when instilling windows i got the bsod come up
how did it get passed there test b4 it was shipped to me.
ringing pcs in morning sending it back, to me its got to be a hard ware problem
thanks any way.
window 7
Optimus Series: 17.3" Matte Full HD LED Widescreen (1920x1080)
Processor (CPU)

Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Mobile Processor i7-3630QM (2.40GHz) 6MB
Memory (RAM)

12GB SAMSUNG 1600MHz SODIMM DDR3 MEMORY (3 x 4GB)
Graphics Card

NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 660M - 2.0GB DDR5 Video RAM - DirectX® 11
Memory - Hard Disk

hi run memtest86, it came up with bad ram looks like i had a bad stick off ram new ram in post so hopefully all will be fix tomorrow
thank you pcs

No person (Or company) is perfect, and therefore neither is PCS. However, from what I have seen of them, they help where ever they can. I'll definetly be buying from PCS again :D

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
This is a worry to me too. I've not yet ordered my Optimus IV but I plan to get it minus an OS (I have licensed non-OEM copies of Win7 and Win8 that I plan to use). What worries me is how PCS will test it given that it will have no OS?

It seems the OP had an OS installed by PCS and they missed something as basic as a bad RAM stick. To make matters worse I'll be taking mine out of the UK only a few weeks after I get it making warranty returns an expensive issue.

Anyone know how PCS test laptops with no OS installed?

steaky360

This is a worry to me too. I've not yet ordered my Optimus IV but I plan to get it minus an OS (I have licensed non-OEM copies of Win7 and Win8 that I plan to use). What worries me is how PCS will test it given that it will have no OS?

It seems the OP had an OS installed by PCS and they missed something as basic as a bad RAM stick. To make matters worse I'll be taking mine out of the UK only a few weeks after I get it making warranty returns an expensive issue.

As far as I know they install an OS and test the laptop before formatting the hard drives (I think, or maybe they just set it to "out of the box" mode... I'm not 100% sure of that part).

Toxophilix

Bright Spark

I believe they put a copy of Windows on the machine but don't supply the activation code.

As to the RAM stick, it's possible that it worked when PCS had it. It is quite common for components to fail early in their life. Generally there's a (relatively) high risk of failure early on (as there may be a manufacturing fault), then a lower ongoing risk which ramps up again as the thing gets old.

There is a percentage of every supplier's computers that are DOA.

Last edited:

PokerFace

Banned

I believe they put a copy of Windows on the machine but don't supply the activation code.

As Toxophilix says above. Have a look at an official statement at post #3 HERE.

SlickShoes

Send them a message when you order and let them know what OS you have a license for, they will then use that version of the OS to test the machine and all you will need to do when it arrives is put in your activation code.

I expected the computer to come with no OS so having them set everything up and just have me put in a code was fantastic.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Send them a message when you order and let them know what OS you have a license for, they will then use that version of the OS to test the machine and all you will need to do when it arrives is put in your activation code.

I expected the computer to come with no OS so having them set everything up and just have me put in a code was fantastic.

Never thought of that, great idea. Will do, thanks!

Edit: Just realised that this idea will not work for Windows 8. Unlike all previous versions of Windows you cannot install Windows 8 without a valid key. The first thing the install routine asks for is the key. Win7 will be fine for testing purposes and I'll want t partition the SSD in any case (to separate my OS (which I backup via imaging software) from the active data (which is baked up via file-by-file sync software).

Last edited: