17.3 Recoil laptop does anyone have it ?

fejerm

Hello!
Does anyone have the older Recoil laptop (Clevo x170sm-g) with 2080 Super (or slower) vga AND 300 hz G-Sync screen ?

I would like to ask someone to check something but can't find anyone who owns this config, only the newer one (x170km-g) :(

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Hello!
Does anyone have the older Recoil laptop (Clevo x170sm-g) with 2080 Super (or slower) vga AND 300 hz G-Sync screen ?

I would like to ask someone to check something but can't find anyone who owns this config, only the newer one (x170km-g) :(
What do you need checked?

fejerm

Running this UFO test: https://www.testufo.com/ghosting

and recording the screen with a phone or camera (set to record at at least 60 FPS) and uploading the video to youtube.

Similar to this (just a bit longer):

This is to compare it to the newer model. The X170SM-G had overshoot/corona effect with the 240 Hz and 300 Hz panels which was noticable even in games at certain (dark) scenes. My guess is that Clevo factory enabled LCD overdrive, however does not offer the possibiltiy to disable it in Clevo Control Center. At least I have experienced this with both panels when I owned the SM model.

To be more precise during gaming this issue looked like if textures had an extra white outer line on the edges when moving the camera.
Like this:

Look at the edge of the pillar, when I move the camera an extra white line appears. This is caused by LCD overdrive.

I notified PCS and other resellers about this and they notified Clevo, however to this day I am not aware of a BIOS update where Clevo fixed this with the SM model.

However Clevo had a similar problem in the past. The P775DM3-G had really bad undershoot (black line appeared instead of white) with the 75 Hz panel, however the P775TM1-G with 144 Hz panel was fine. My guess is that CLevo got aware of this issue and secretly disabled overdrive in the new model's BIOS.

The above linked UFO test video was made with the new model (X170KM-G) and 300 Hz panel and I do not see any issue caused by LCD overdrive.

This is because:
1) Clevo did it again and secretly fixed the issue in the new model
2) UFO test does not show the issue but it is actually there

My guess is 1) and that is why I asked someone wit the SM+300Hz+default BIOS (.02PCS if I remember correctly) to record a video like above so we could compare the two models and see if the issue was fixed or not.

To see the problem better here are still images recorded from the X170SM 240 Hz and X170KM 300 Hz:

SM with 240 Hz:

ew6RDNr.jpg

As you can see it seems a white line appears on the left edge of the UFO.

X170KM 300 Hz:

dhHfPCN.jpg

KM does not have an extra white line when the UFO is moving.

The SM used AUO B173HAN05.0 for the 240 hz panel and B173HAN05.1 for the 300 Hz panel. I do not know what panel is the KM using, but I would guess the same.
I don't think this problem is because the 240 hz panel is "slower" because to my knowledge both panels have around the same response time so something else is up.

So this is why I am looking for someone with a X170SM-G + 300 Hz panel.