17.3" Vortex IV Elite

Danny boy

Bronze Level Poster
Specs:

Chassis & Display
Vortex Series: 17.3" Matte Full HD LED Widescreen (1920x1080)
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Mobile Processor i7-4910MQ (2.90GHz) 8MB
Memory (RAM)
16GB KINGSTON HYPER-X IMPACT 1600MHz SODIMM DDR3 (2 x 8GB)
Graphics Card
2 x NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 980M - 8.0GB DDR5 Video RAM - DirectX® 11
1st Hard Disk
1TB Samsung 840 EVO SSD, SATA 6Gb/s (upto 540MB/sR | 520MB/sW)
2nd Hard Disk
2TB SERIAL ATA II 2.5" HARD DRIVE WITH 32MB CACHE (5,400rpm)
1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
6x BLURAY WRITER, 8x DVD ±R/±RW & CYBERLINK SOFTWARE
Memory Card Reader
Internal 9 in 1 Card Reader (MMC/RSMMC/SD: Mini, XC & HC/MS: Pro & Duo)
Thermal PasCEte
ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND
Sound Card
Intel 5.1 Channel High Definition Audio + SPDIF/MIC/Headphone Jack
Wireless/Wired Networking
GIGABIT LAN & KILLER™ 1202 WIRELESS GAMING 802.11N + BLUETOOTH 4.0
USB Options
4 x USB 3.0 PORTS + 1 x USB 2.0 PORT AS STANDARD
Battery
2 x Vortex Elite SE Series 8 Cell Battery (89.21WH) (One Spare)
Power Cable
2 x UK Power Lead & 330W AC Adaptor
Keyboard Language
INTEGRATED BACKLIT UK KEYBOARD WITH NUMBER PAD
Operating System
Genuine Windows 8.1 Professional 64 Bit - inc DVD & Licence
Laptop Cooling Stands
Zalman ZM-NC11 Ultra-Quiet Laptop Cooler, upto 17.3 inch
Mouse
INTEGRATED 2 BUTTON TOUCHPAD MOUSE
Webcam
INTEGRATED 2.0 MEGAPIXEL WEBCAM
Surge Protection
MasterPlug SRG62 6 Socket 2m Surge Protector

Review:

Initial impressions this laptop is massive it has a nice finish and the keys light up to display the symbols as the sun goes down. It feels robust and weighs a fair bit wouldn’t go as far as to say it is child proof but definitely man proof.

The system is packing had to wait several weeks before starting this bad boy up as I have been out of the country. I felt like a spectator in the run up to the release of NVidia's Latest Mobile video cards looking at the mouth-watering performance in 3dmarks bench marks for similar systems. I sold my desktop whilst salivating with expectation in having a smother more mobile gaming experience.

The first thing I did when I finally opened up the box was get it benched on 3d mark to compare its overall performance. Compared to my previous desktop system which it is replacing: Overall the scores in 3dmark were 25-33% better in Fire strike, Cloud gate, Skydiver, and 50% better in Ice storm. Had to make sure the sli was enabled in the NVidia control panel.

Very impressed with the fingerprint scanner logging into windows hasn’t been quicker or simpler, it does have a password option just in case the wife cuts of my finger in protest of spending too much time gaming. The Speakers give off a crisp audio and the sound is crystal clear. There are two speakers on the front and what appears to be a small subwoofer on the base of the unit, the fans can be quite loud on load but are easily drowned out by increasing the volume. There is a HDMI port at the rear for HD display output if you want to connect it to your HD Smart TV or your UHD 4K display, the 17inch screen is sufficient though for HD gaming at 1080p. There are four USB 3.0 ports 2 situated in the rear ideal for small tables to plug in the mouse and the Xbox controller, and the other two are situated next to the blue ray drive. The Killer Lan Wireless Card is awesome, compared to the standard wireless cards you get in Laptops it makes downloading Games over wireless much quicker and more efficient well worth the extra Wonga.

All in all this system is awesome for a mobile platform well worth the money and should last for some time. Never really was into console gaming as I have always preferred to have a crisper smoother more detailed ride which only a PC can deliver. I recommend if you’re on the move and you want to take a desktop performing system then this is the one. Remember if you want to squeeze out that extra oomph more money is always the sacrifice one has to make. I wanted a mobile solution, you can for the money I paid for it buy a really good gaming desktop. Just saying.

Build time was 8 days to dispatch really impressed.

Total cost was about £2900 added a few extra things like a portable hard drive and a cooling stand. The spare battery and lead just in case the dog and the daughter have fun with it.

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/5653773?

LAPTOP: Vortex IV 17" Elite, i7 4910MQ 2.9GHZ, 2x NVIDIA GTX 980m 8Gb, 16Gb Kingston Hyper-X Impact 1600mHz, 1TB Samsung Evo, 2tb Serial ATA, RAT 3 Mouse, Zalman ZM-NC11 Ultra-Quiet Laptop Cooler.

Attachments

• IMG_0921.jpg
    IMG_0921.jpg
    695.3 KB · Views: 587
  • IMG_0924.jpg
    IMG_0924.jpg
    463.3 KB · Views: 539
  • IMG_0925.jpg
    IMG_0925.jpg
    275 KB · Views: 577
Last edited:

Stressed

Silver Level Poster
Oh my lord! 980m sli will last you for a very long time.
That is a very nice machine - but the cost is quite high! But if you have the money to spend you might as well do it for something proper.

I am sure that it is safe to say that you will be playing the newest games (and the upcoming ones) at max settings with amazing fps.

Do enjoy your laptop - don't forget about your family.

I probably would =)

jayrobyn

am i missing where in the vortex configurator the option to have the 980 8gb in sli and have 2? im only seeing the option of one.

is the sli really that much better looking at buying a laptop sometime this month trying to decide! thanks

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
am i missing where in the vortex configurator the option to have the 980 8gb in sli and have 2? im only seeing the option of one.

is the sli really that much better looking at buying a laptop sometime this month trying to decide! thanks

This is the vortex iv elite which only has the option for sli. Sli in a laptop will provide maybe 25% boost in framerates on some games that support sli. It does have its drawbacks like heat and so it sounds like a train passing when gaming, power requirements mean 2 powerpacks. It's definitely a niche thing for serious gamers looking for the utmost.

Danny boy

Bronze Level Poster

Its very good you can check out the difference at the 3dmark results website to compare duel(sli) graphics cards to single.

http://www.3dmark.com/search?_ga=1.143359157.1615915696.1419375274

I am so pleased with this set up it works well its desktop class gaming it beats my last desktop a amd 8350 and duel amd 7950 graphics hands down by about 30%.

In Rome Total War 2 it was a real pain to conduct sieges with medium settings with multiple forces as the frame rate used to drop unbearably, but now with this Laptop its a real pleasure to play with multiple armies and not see the frame rate drop off with this laptop. Crisis 3 is a pleasure to play with much smoother feel to game play.

But saying that a single 980 is still punching above my last desktop in the 3dmark benchmarks just, I bought a sli laptop with an intel processor as I wanted something portable for travelling but have a desktop feel about it.

LAPTOP: Vortex IV 17" Elite, i7 4910MQ 2.9GHZ, 2x NVIDIA GTX 980m 8Gb, 16Gb Kingston Hyper-X Impact 1600mHz, 1TB Samsung Evo, 2tb Serial ATA, RAT 3 Mouse, Zalman ZM-NC11 Ultra-Quiet Laptop Cooler

Last edited:

Danny boy

Bronze Level Poster
View attachment cpu and gpu benchmarks.pdf
thats really tempting haha had almost set on a vortex with the single 980m will have to reevaluate now.

Check out my spread sheet evaluating the bench marks

LAPTOP: Vortex IV 17" Elite, i7 4910MQ 2.9GHZ, 2x NVIDIA GTX 980m 8Gb, 16Gb Kingston Hyper-X Impact 1600mHz, 1TB Samsung Evo, 2tb Serial ATA, RAT 3 Mouse, Zalman ZM-NC11 Ultra-Quiet Laptop Cooler

Last edited:

SlimCini

KC and the Sunshine BANNED
Just to be clear... You couldn't buy one quality gaming desktop with this laptop budget. You could get TWO!

Do you do anything with it other than game? And when gaming do you connect it to a quality monitor? £2900 seems obscene for 17" 1080p 60Hz gaming!![SUB][/SUB]

jayrobyn

i myself travel and will be moving back to canada in a year or 2. a desktop isnt an option but a system with specs like this will mean i can game for years to come.

Danny boy

Bronze Level Poster
Just to be clear... You couldn't buy one quality gaming desktop with this laptop budget. You could get TWO!

Do you do anything with it other than game? And when gaming do you connect it to a quality monitor? £2900 seems obscene for 17" 1080p 60Hz gaming!![SUB][/SUB]

I plan to get a monitor later but I used it for everything family photo editing and video, the Wireless is good too always worth a bit of speed, but yes mainly for gaming and if I wasn't moving in the next year I would of gone for a new 5th gen intel desktop with sli.

thedude182

hi, i`m getting the vortex elite soon :D, i want to know about the temperatures of the cpu and gpus under load, does it get really hot? and do you think i should get a coolingstand aswell ?

Danny boy

Bronze Level Poster
hi, i`m getting the vortex elite soon :D, i want to know about the temperatures of the cpu and gpus under load, does it get really hot? and do you think i should get a coolingstand aswell ?

You won't need a stand in temperate climates, the computer doesen't get hot much been playing Call of duty ghosts multi player and rise son of Rome on max settings the laptop doesent get hot at all. I got the cooling stand because I am planning to go to a hot country.

Last edited:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I think a cooling stand is generally considered a good call for any gaming laptop, they may not overheat, but keeping temps as low as possible increases the life of the system and generally improves performance over time.

Danny boy

Bronze Level Poster
This is true, I just wish they would come with a separate power supply for the fan as it tends to heat up the power pack more than when it's not running but then that's why I have a spare power pack.

I am really impressed how much load this laptop can take and not feel hot at all, but saying that the fans can be a bit noisy but the on-board speakers can easily drown it out.

Last edited:

Danny boy

Bronze Level Poster
http://www.3dmark.com/compare/fs/4338408/fs/4338337

Just comparing the results on fire strike with phy X on cpu compared enabled phys X on GPU. As you can see the latest NVidia driver has improved the score on firestrike by 300pts.

The Highest score was phys x on the CPU but the combined score was lower. Anyone know if its better or worse to have phys X enabled on GPU or CPU?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
http://www.3dmark.com/compare/fs/4338408/fs/4338337

Just comparing the results on fire strike with phy X on cpu compared enabled phys X on GPU. As you can see the latest NVidia driver has improved the score on firestrike by 300pts.

The Highest score was phys x on the CPU but the combined score was lower. Anyone know if its better or worse to have phys X enabled on GPU or CPU?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I believe if you specify the cpu it effectively disables physx as the on board gpu doesn't have the capacity to process physx.

Danny boy

Bronze Level Poster
After 3 -4 months of using this machine this is what I think.

Well I am still very pleased with my Laptop, after 3 months there are a few things that I have noticed.

I’ve recently played through Tomb Raider and found it a thoroughly enjoyable experience the laptop handled it very well the game play was very smooth. After playing Tomb Raider for about 4 to 5 hrs it did blast out hot air out the back but the surface of the laptop doesn’t seem to get that hot.

If I could go back in time I would down size the CPU to the 4710MQ as on 3d Mark there is not much comparison in results to the 4910MQ.

The back light keys tend to have a mind of their own but are brilliant in low light and the settings can be adjusted. The biggest con is the big bar light between the key board and the screen when the audio goes off it moves left and right very distracting especially when sitting down to enjoy a movie with the Mrs, I haven’t found out how to turn this off yet.

I checked out some bench marks on my laptop for the following games with the GeForce recommended settings in 1080p.

Rome II Total War Min FPS: 82 AVG: 113.6 MAX: 205 (With huge Units)
Tomb Raider Min FPS: 74 AVG: 100.4 MAX: 126
COMPANY OF HEROS 2 Min FPS: 45.89 AVG: 52.8 MAX: 60.88
Shogun II total War: AVG: 119.15
Ryse: Son of Rome seems to be capped at 60fps

All in all though still very happy with my purchase.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited: