Music Guy123

Prolific Poster
I didn't realise that the ps3 was to become a portable device... Why slimmer/smaller esp lighter??????? It only is going to mean more heat...

DeadEyeDuk

Superhero Level Poster
Seems a bit desperate seeing as we all know the next gen isn't far off. Get them sales up while they can, although it is a bit "Apple-ish" in terms of barely changing anything, even though some current PS3 owners will buy it...because sheeple :)

DeadEyeDuk

Superhero Level Poster
The next version was going to be called Playstation 4, because, well, you know. However, after large scale research and vast amounts of money spent on product experts, it will now be called...

Playstation 4our...because its clever, see, the 4 is the F in the word...never mind

:D

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
I haven't been able to find a source saying they've done that, though it seems likely.

yeh i dont have any information for the ps3 but the original Xbox had a 203W PSU and the newest model is 115W, this is mainly because of the manufacturing process, the original xbox 360 used a 90nm process (which is tiny to us, but huge for processors these days) and the newest is 45nm, I believe intel is currently at 22nm making it more energy efficient

Everon

Enthusiast
Ye because I am pretty damn sure we are all going to run out and part with £250 (for the 500gb version) for a 6 year old console that is near the end of its development cycle. If it were $125 then sure it would maybe just maybe be worth it.

Really are Sony insane?

What we want are details on the next console not smaller versions of what we already have. This is purely so they can max out every last juicy penny from the current Playstation version.

Message to Sony: We arent all stupid to enough to buy out of date stuff for over inflated prices. Six years old console=OLD, Slimmer=LESS and therefore should cost LESS!

Last edited:

Yamikotai

Expert
^ That's what pretty much everyone is saying. Daft time to bring out a new iteration when new consoles are coming in November (Wii U) and sometime next year (third Xbox). Though perhaps people lacking knowledge of that is what Sony are banking on? They spend money on the new PS3 iteration now, and as a result can't afford the Wii U/Xbox 3 when they come out :p It's like competing, but not.

Karnor00

Bright Spark
Apple release the same phone every year and get people to pay for it. So I can see where Sony are getting their ideas from.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
Well I am still interested in getting a PS3 as i havent got one and would like to play exclusives like Uncharted etc, but I would not be buying it brand new and especially not for that price

Wolvo7

Bright Spark
I didn't realise that the ps3 was to become a portable device... Why slimmer/smaller esp lighter??????? It only is going to mean more heat...

I don't really see the problem with the PS3 getting smaller and lighter.

The same could have been said of the PS2 slim when it came out, as it was the size of a book compared to the monster that was the original PS2, which, incidentally, was about the same size as the original PS3. My PS2 slim doesn't heat up and I'm quite happy to be able to take it with me on holidays and such while my huge PS3 sits at home.

So the problem is not really the PS3 superslim per se but more the fact that they release it so late in its life cycle and without a price drop. If I was to get a PS3 now I'd probs be happy to have the option of a Superslim but this is way overdue.