1GB ATI RADEON HD 5850 vs 1280MB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX470

wiserommer

Bronze Level Poster
Hey guys,

Im struggling to choose between the two gfx cards....So, i was wondering for people who have experienced either of these, which one would you consider the best in terms of longevity, and handling the newest of games.

thanks

Gorman

Author Level
Now this could become a flame war fast! Many geeks are very brand loyal.

In my opinion the 470 would take it for these reasons:

1. Its Fermi!, great GPU and great drivers which are only going from strength to strength.
2. Physx
3. CUDA

They are pretty much on a par for longevity, they will be current until the next revision of Direct X. Then they will still be good, just not support DX12 or whatever is next.

Its always Nvidia for the extras though, you get so much more than a simple GPU.

wiserommer

Bronze Level Poster
don't intend this to be a debate just the opinion a user...i'm stuck on which one to purchase since ive read a lot of good reviews on both.

Sleinous

Author Level
Well, the biggest advantage with the Nvidia cards is the CUDA tech imo, and the biggest advantage with the ATIs is slightlyc heaper + runs cooler

Phoenix

Prolific Poster
The GTX 470 will beat the ATI 5850 at most things but the 5850 is quieter, uses less power, produces less heat and is cheaper.

Stappa

Enthusiast
TechSpot have recently tested both cards head to head and this is how they summed them up(gaming wise) the 5850 is faster in most games as well as being far quieter, cooler & less power hungry but if its folding you are interested in the 470 is Superior:

http://www.techspot.com/review/283-geforce-gtx-400-vs-radeon-hd-5800/

The GeForce GTX 470 vs. Radeon HD 5850 comparison can be summed up much more easily. The Radeon HD 5850 was without a doubt the superior performer in our testing, washing away the GeForce GTX 470 in all but two games. Even when the GeForce GTX 470 hit the lead when playing Metro 2033 and S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat it was by a small 1-2 fps margin on average.

I'm personally waiting for the new power range thats going to follow the new GeForce 460:)

wiserommer

Bronze Level Poster
TechSpot have recently tested both cards head to head and this is how they summed them up(gaming wise) the 5850 is faster in most games as well as being far quieter, cooler & less power hungry but if its folding you are interested in the 470 is Superior:

http://www.techspot.com/review/283-geforce-gtx-400-vs-radeon-hd-5800/

The GeForce GTX 470 vs. Radeon HD 5850 comparison can be summed up much more easily. The Radeon HD 5850 was without a doubt the superior performer in our testing, washing away the GeForce GTX 470 in all but two games. Even when the GeForce GTX 470 hit the lead when playing Metro 2033 and S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat it was by a small 1-2 fps margin on average.

I'm personally waiting for the new power range thats going to follow the new GeForce 460:)

Very nice thanks, and thanks to the peeps that contributed :)