2070 Laptops

Greenman

Enthusiast
Just checking out the specs of the Octane VI and the Recoil II.

With a very similar spec, the price difference is around £400. Is the Octane really worth that much more? Only difference I can see is G-Sync I think.

(i7 8750h 2.2/4.1ghz = i7 8700k 3.7)
Both RTX 2070, 16gb of RAM and same storage options. Same screen size etc.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
Octane has desktop CPUs

The mobile ones aren't equal, they have lower TDPs and will not run as fast.

Whether that's £400 of difference depends on you, your wallet, and your needs. For most people, the Octane may not be the right choice. But it does have a role and the high end CPUs it takes are faster (the highest end ones, ofc, not the i3s...)

Last edited:

Stephen M

Author Level
Depends on what your uses will be. The Octane is a great machine and very powerful for a laptop, the CPU is a desktop CPU and can the bigger case means the cooling is much better, so for things that are going to cause the CPU to run hot it is well worth it. The Octane can also take more RAM, although I doubt many of us will need 64GB of it and a second SATA drive.

As an Octane user I would say it is worth it but that still depends on uses.

Greenman

Enthusiast
Use case will mostly be gaming. Since it's only a laptop the 2070 will be more than enough (2080 I imagine would be overkill for gaming on a small screen). Currently using a Defiance with a 970m which isn't bad at all but starting to show it's age a bit (Desktop wise it's about a 1050ti I think). Having to lower settings with more modern games at the moment and I got my eye on Metro Exodus next which would benefit from a better GPU.

Just don't know much about CPU's and how they'd affect gaming performance really.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
In most games there wouldn't be much of a difference.

But as it stands I think benchmarks of the mobile RTX GPUs aren't out yet, so in any case best to wait for those and then plan the purchase.