24 hours old NOVA laptop: 2nd M.2 Drive is not showing/working anymore.

LauBus

I just received my NOVA laptop yesterday. Everything seemed fine yesterday evening but this morning the second M.2 Drive (1 TB Samsung EVO Plus) is not showing/working anymore. It's also not showing in DISK MANAGEMENT as well. Quite frustrating as this laptop is needed for an ongoing VFX project. I assume this drive hadn't been tested before dispatch.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Open the case, remove the locking screw and pop the M.2 drive out. Then replace it ensuring it's fully home and replace the licking screw.

We've had one or two builds have M.2 drives move enough during delivery that they threw issues like this.

LauBus

Thanks for your swift reply Ubuysa. I took the drive out and replaced it, still not showing/working. Likely a bad drive I suppose. Hopefully I'll hear from tech support tomorrow morning.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Thanks for your swift reply Ubuysa. I took the drive out and replaced it, still not showing/working. Likely a bad drive I suppose. Hopefully I'll hear from tech support tomorrow morning.
They should be able to ship you a replacement for next day delivery rather than you having to send the whole thing back.

mrlip

Gold Level Poster
Yes, they are.

It's an issue with the board chipset I believe. I had the same issue, see here and another user had the same problem here

Not sure if its a physical limiation with the board and perhaps PCI\E bandwith or whether it can be resolved with a BIOS update. For the latter, that would be down to PCS speaking to Clevo about it.

FerrariVie

Super Star
Thanks to @mrlip , I avoided having that issue and bought 1 Sata and 1 Nvme M.2 drives. After researching a bit more, I also found people on Reddit complaining about this issue on the same chassis from other resellers.

In the future, if this issue gets resolved, I'll then move the Sata to 2.5" (using an adaptor) and buy another Nvme. But since you bought both Nvmes already, PCS should try to solve your issue somehow.

Last edited:

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Thanks to @mrlip , I avoided having that issue and bought 1 Sata and 1 Nvme M.2 drives. After researching a bit more, I also found people on Reddit complaining about this issue on the same chassis from other resellers.

In the future, if this issue gets resolved, I'll then move the Sata to 2.5" (using an adaptor) and buy another Nvme. But since you bought both Nvmes already, PCS should try to solve your issue somehow.
And I'd agree with that last comment, the detailed specification for the Nova says....

M.2 Port 2 x M.2 2280 SSD Ports, 1 x WLAN M.2 2230

FerrariVie

Super Star
And I'd agree with that last comment, the detailed specification for the Nova says....
M.2 Port 2 x M.2 2280 SSD Ports, 1 x WLAN M.2 2230
Even the specification on Clevo's manual says the same:
1599727154888.png

Coincidence or not, all reported cases that I've seen have at least 1 Samsung Nvme involved (970 EVO or 970 EVO PLUS). People usually have at least one of the below issues:
- Bluescreen with "WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR" about 20 seconds after booting. This happens if windows is installed on the faster, upper m.2 slot drive;
- Both SSDs are shown correctly in the BIOS, but one (usually the faster again) not shown on windows explorer if used as the second drive. A few seconds after boot, they can seem to find the second drive on the device manager and windows partitioning program, but after a while they're gone.

Last edited:

FerrariVie

Super Star
I still haven't heard back from PC.
If you opened the ticket on the website, from my own experience it can take from 1 to 2 days for them to reply (they seem to be very busy at the moment). If you're in a hurry, I think calling might be faster.

By the way, is your screen brightness adjust working correctly? I had issues on mine, but it was again solved with the help of this thread and getting in touch with PCS support to update BIOS: NOVA 15" - UNABLE TO CHANGE THE SCREEN BRIGHTNESS (POSSIBLE FIX)

Last edited:

LauBus

If you opened the ticket on the website, from my own experience it can take from 1 to 2 days for them to reply (they seem to be very busy at the moment). If you're in a hurry, I think calling might be faster.

By the way, is your screen brightness adjust working correctly? I had issues on mine, but it was again solved with the help of this thread and getting in touch with PCS support to update BIOS: NOVA 15" - UNABLE TO CHANGE THE SCREEN BRIGHTNESS (POSSIBLE FIX)
Tried to call them as my message to tech support is still UNREAD. Their 0333 011 7000 is somehow unobtainable. Tried to call from 3 different phones... Frustrated by how things have been going so far.

LauBus

Finally got an answer, 48 hours later, from tech support telling me to open the laptop, take out the M.2 and replace it. Which I had already done. So I immediately replied telling them again it was not working but no more answer and now it's the weekend, so I won't hear from them before next week. Will likely need to return it and won't get it fixed for another week or two at best. At this point I might just ask for a refund and order from a competitor. Definitely not living up to the good reviews I had read about PCS. Would not recommend. You guys on the forum have been much more reactif and helpful than the people paid to provide tech support to their customers.

mrlip

Gold Level Poster
Finally got an answer, 48 hours later, from tech support telling me to open the laptop, take out the M.2 and replace it. Which I had already done. So I immediately replied telling them again it was not working but no more answer and now it's the weekend, so I won't hear from them before next week. Will likely need to return it and won't get it fixed for another week or two at best. At this point I might just ask for a refund and order from a competitor. Definitely not living up to the good reviews I had read about PCS. Would not recommend. You guys on the forum have been much more reactif and helpful than the people paid to provide tech support to their customers.

If it’s an issue with the board chipset, the same Clevo model from competitors will have the same issue.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
If it’s an issue with the board chipset, the same Clevo model from competitors will have the same issue.
Yes, it's an issue with the chipset, not the BIOS or anything. it's a physical limitation of the motherboard.

Also, email is the worst way to go about getting support, you really need to call and just accept you'll be on hold for a while.

LauBus

If that's the issue how come they are still selling this kind of configuration. Competitors are also offering 2 x M.2 options. I am assuming they would let us know if that was the case, especially since they are suposed to test the laptop before sending.

LauBus

Yes, it's an issue with the chipset, not the BIOS or anything. it's a physical limitation of the motherboard.

Also, email is the worst way to go about getting support, you really need to call and just accept you'll be on hold for a while.
Both drives showed the first day I got the laptop. If that was a motherboard issues why would it have worked at all the first day? Not saying it's not the case, just seems odd.