2560 x 1440

Allan O'D

Bronze Level Poster
Good evening all,

Considering my options on screens and if I should go dual 23'' or 1x 23'' and 1x27''
I am on the verge of buying a Korean screen which are very cheap and represent high res gaming, but does anyone have any experience with one and can they share their findings before I take the leap. My gpu will be a 770 2GB, so it might be asking too much to run a 27 high res and a 23 at the same time. Alternatively It's dual 23 ips screens which are ten a penny these days.
In any case any thoughts on the 1440p screens would be useful and appreciated. Apologies if I am out with forum rules, I've carefully avoided any specifics.

Thanks for reading.

T

TheGeeza

The X-star ones are apparently quite good from dream seller. Be very careful with who you but from though. They don't have any dead pixel guarantee.
I would always suggest buying from a know manufacturer though just for peace of mind despite the much higher price.
You may run into some issues with vram in some games on the 1440p screens with the 2gb 770. This would occationally cause fps drops and the annoying "windows has detected your PC is running slowly" message. So I would consider whether or not you need the extra screen space that a 27" would provide over a 23" for gaming. Having a different sized screen might also be a pain if you are doing work across both.

Allan O'D

Bronze Level Poster
My intention is to run the 27 as the main screen and have the 23 purely for browsing, YouTube etc, but I'll have to rethink if the 770 isn't going to be able to run smoothly. Perhaps I'll keep to the dual 23 but I am going to be wondering what reaper of souls or skyrim is like on a 1400p. My order is still processing so I could always pay the supplement and replace the 2 gig with the 4 gig 770.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
4GB 770 would perform pretty well at that resolution on most games. You won't be playing on ultra for most new games but you can get at least high settings for most.

From personal experience, a second screen will hinder performance a little bit and even more if you are watching videos or something whilst playing.

Allan O'D

Bronze Level Poster
Upgraded to the 4gb 770 so I'll look into a cheap korean 27'. I mainly play rpg and mmo games so I appreciate immersion and the high res will be a treat.
One last question, will the system have problems with the 2 different resolution screens? I'll be using office software from time.
Thanks

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
No you shouldn't have any issues although the pixel density difference may make some things appear stretched on one compared to the other, it shouldn't be a problem though. I used to run a 1360x768 monitor alongside my 2 1080p monitors and didn't cause any issues at all! In screenshots there will be some black bars on parts that you won't see usually but there is no other way of hiding.

Allan O'D

Bronze Level Poster
I have followed up, and given into my desire to own a high res 27'' screen with a purchase of 1 Slim Qnix QX2710 Evolution II from a Korean seller on a well known auction site. I chose the pixel perfect option and paid approx £220.00 with expedited shipping.

If anyone shows interest and it is permitted I am happy to share my findings along with a short review of the packaging, screen on arrival, and an overview of its performance. I must say it is with some trepidation that I have gambled a bit but after extensive reading and, the bonus of being able to over clock the refresh rate up to 120hz ( although 96 seems to be the norm) finally saw my finger hit that buy it now button. Fingers crossed :)

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
Nice, although I don't think it would be appropriate to review a product not sold by PCS on their forums. But enjoy!

Allan O'D

Bronze Level Poster
I agree, it's poor taste. It's more or less for interests sake rather than direct advertising a competitor as it were, so if anyone wants info they can contact me directly.