2x16 3600mhz vs 4x8 3200mhz RAM

MrWilson

Godlike
Hey guys,
As many of you are aware, a few customers on the forums have been experiencing stability issues when using 4x8GB 3600mhz with the ASUS motherboards. PCS have added 2x16GB 3600 RAM into the config.

Just wanted to check with the experts whether you would recommend 4x8GB of 3200mhz to fill the 4 slots for better performance on the Ryzen 5000 CPUs, or go for 2x16GB 3600mhz when looking at 32GB RAM builds?

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
Until we know more I’m going 4x8GB 3200MHz for the time being. There’s been at least three threads where this instability issue with 3600MHz has come up and the solve consistently seems to be lowering the frequency to around the 3200MHz range.

It’s early days so I haven’t seen any confirmed purchases with 2x16GB of the 3600MHz frequency as yet, will do some homework later and see if it has cropped up elsewhere on the interwebs.

Hey guys,
As many of you are aware, a few customers on the forums have been experiencing stability issues when using 4x8GB 3600mhz with the ASUS motherboards. PCS have added 2x16GB 3600 RAM into the config.

Just wanted to check with the experts whether you would recommend 4x8GB of 3200mhz to fill the 4 slots for better performance on the Ryzen 5000 CPUs, or go for 2x16GB 3600mhz when looking at 32GB RAM builds?
V good question been wondering this myself

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
I went for the 4x8gb 3600mhz and haven't noticed any issues in the 4 weeks I've had it - only about 100 hours use so far though (y)

Just games on it so far, and haven't yet decided whether it will replace my iMac as the work desktop (for Adobe/Microsoft) or not yet...as everything I install has the potential to screw the OS up.

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
I went for the 4x8gb 3600mhz and haven't noticed any issues in the 4 weeks I've had it - only about 100 hours use so far though (y)

Just games on it so far, and haven't yet decided whether it will replace my iMac as the work desktop (for Adobe/Microsoft) or not yet...as everything I install has the potential to screw the OS up.
Have you checked to see what frequency the RAM is running at?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine

Which motherboard do you have out of interest? It does appear the instability is BIOS related, so perhaps yours has a much more stable BIOS.

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Thanks, I wonder if they've recently released a BIOS update to address the instability, that's good to know, thanks very much
I know I originally ordered 3200mhz RAM, as was told the 3600mhz had been removed due to instabilities, but had been reinstated once they'd supposed to have been fixed. So changed my order to match.

Haven't touched the bios settings or versions at all, and have simply left it as it was delivered/built. Wouldn't touch them unless I had an issue that a new bios would resolve...along with PCS approval - anyway.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Did the instability affect both Strix and non-Strix boards? I only remember seeing issues with non-Strix boards...but then the Strix probably have a different BIOS right?
I have no idea tbh... I haven't really been noting the board models.

They should have different BIOSes yes, as they're an entirely different VRM layout and therefor the strix can handle much higher voltage regulation.

Last edited:

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
Can I backtrack on my earlier reply? ie throw it out entirely as being so full of horse manure that I can smell it 6 miles away? Is it possible? :unsure:

When I said about my personal choices regarding RAM configurations, I did not take into account the 4 sticks part of the new AMD CPUs (in all honesty, I just forgot, much like I forget what I said 5 seconds ago....hmmm...what was I saying? ;)) so, of course, if you are getting one of these new-fangled electronic thingies, you should definitely get 4 whatsits..does that help? o_O
You and your technobabble, can you use layman’s terms please?

MrWilson

Godlike
So, overall general consensus is we go for 4 of the 3200 blah blah blahs, optionally picking some with pretty lights, until we get a confirmed fix from the ASUS wizards?