3 Monitors?

keynes

Multiverse Poster
Uuurg, do you play BF3? what FPS do you get?

I don't check fps as long as there are no lags it is fine for me, I don't have any issues at ultra settings. If you are planning to get a surround set up I'd suggest going for the GTX 680 4gb, the additional vram will be beneficial at higher resolutions.

keynes

Multiverse Poster
Wait, it says on he section thing they he 4GB of VRAM

It is 2gb only as Steaky mentioned. You can check reviews online on how GTX 690 SLI performs in a surround set up, a review on hexus mentioned scaling issues in some games but I am not sure if the latest drivers may have fixed it.

steaky360

Aaargh, so i looked some reviews and I'm gonna stay with one screen.

I going to sound like a hypocrite but you should get 3 if you can. I will be once I get the space too! The hexus review shows all the games running at around 60 fps at extreme settings. I am so looking forward to that!

Grimezy

Prolific Poster
Oh god, why did I suggest you getting 3 monitors on the other thread.

The naked eye will not notice much difference in FPS at any rate over 30fps. It's true that 60fps is the 'sweet spot' and that you will experience much smoother performance than that at 30fps but the game will not noticeably lag if you are only playing at 30fps as this is what all current gen consoles are running on and you never hear people complaining about them do you? I bet you didn't even know that they maxed out at 30fps before you looked into getting a PC, I certainly didn't.

If you can play at 60fps on 3 monitors then that is more than enough. Trying to aim for over 100fps is purely for bragging rights and you will see very little improvement compared to playing at 60fps.

NMEBowen

Master Poster
If you want 3 monitors your best bet is to get the sli`d 4gb gtx680`s yes they will make more noise and make more heat and draw more power but you dont have to wait for them to come into stock and 2 680`s will run better than a single 690 hell i think 2 4gb 680`s will most likely out perform 2 690`s at high resolutions but dont quote me on that.

Karnor00

Bright Spark
The naked eye will not notice much difference in FPS at any rate over 30fps. It's true that 60fps is the 'sweet spot' and that you will experience much smoother performance than that at 30fps but the game will not noticeably lag if you are only playing at 30fps as this is what all current gen consoles are running on and you never hear people complaining about them do you? I bet you didn't even know that they maxed out at 30fps before you looked into getting a PC, I certainly didn't.

If you can play at 60fps on 3 monitors then that is more than enough. Trying to aim for over 100fps is purely for bragging rights and you will see very little improvement compared to playing at 60fps.

While its true that a steady 30fps is fine, if you are averaging 30fps then sometimes it will be higher and sometimes lower - it depends on how complex the view is for any particular frame. And when the fps gets lower than 30 it can start to look noticeably jerky.

However if you are averaging 60fps then even for the complex viewpoints the fps is unlikely to drop below 30 and so should still look smooth.

Thats why its generally best to aim for an average 60fps for properly smooth gaming all the time, but that a steady 30fps is fine for watching a movie.

Grimezy

Prolific Poster
While its true that a steady 30fps is fine, if you are averaging 30fps then sometimes it will be higher and sometimes lower - it depends on how complex the view is for any particular frame. And when the fps gets lower than 30 it can start to look noticeably jerky.

However if you are averaging 60fps then even for the complex viewpoints the fps is unlikely to drop below 30 and so should still look smooth.

Thats why its generally best to aim for an average 60fps for properly smooth gaming all the time, but that a steady 30fps is fine for watching a movie.

Aha this is what I meant, I re-read my post and realised it probably wasn't that clear! I indeed meant that if he can average at 60 then it won't be too 'game-breaking' if it occasionally drops down to 35-50. Obviously average'ing at 30 and dropping down to 15-20 would be noticeably jolty!

NMEBowen

Master Poster
As i posted about v-sync that is the main concern about 60hz monitors as your FPS halves everytime you drop below a threshold having a system where your max fps never goes above 60 on a triple monitor setup is great as v-sync can be disabled, but if your fps ranges from say 100 all the way down to say 28 means v-sync has to be enabled and your fps will only be from 60 down to 15fps which will look kinda pap. 24FPS is the rate movies play at so really thats the lowest you want to go but your eyes can actually tell the difference all the way upto 200FPS and beyond but it all depends on ambient lighting, alertness and so on.

If you have big cards on a single screen you need a 120hz monitor otherwise the card is a total waste of money, and your only going to see 60fps nothing else.

Im in the process of looking at a tripple 3D surround setup so i dont have to turn v-sync on ever but finding decent monitors with slim bezels that will fit on a tripple stand is neer impossible, AOC do the closest thing to a slim bezel ive found but it only has vga/hdmi inputs so its no use to me.