3070 with an ultrawide

callum c

hi my new pc has arrived its got a 3070 and I'm wondering will that be good enough to run an ultrawide monitor. I'm looking at an lg 34 gn850 and im wondering if it will be too much for the pc. I don't know if it matters but its got a ryzen 5800x (if that effects anything)

if it isn't, is their any other monitors I should look at

thanks

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
ok thanks
Also, @MrWilson has an AOC Ultrawide now too, although I can't remember if he has the 3070 or 3070ti, but they're actually not that much different in performance.

Edit: Just double checked and it is with a 3070, his build review is here with pictures

I'm sure one of them will be along shortly to offer their opinions.

Last edited:

MrWilson

Godlike
Similarly to AgentCooper, I have the AOC CU34G2X paired with a 3070. I haven't had any issues with it so far.
I had a look at the LG option when I was shopping for peripherals in June and I wasn't hugely enamoured in all honesty.
Comparing prices it's around £450 for the AOC display and closer to £800 for the LG display. For that you get an IPS panel over VA and faster response times as is typical of the LG panels. Personally I don't think paying close to double the price is worth it though, but that's my two cents. If you did decide to stick with the LG, the 5800x 3070 combo will be solid for gaming.

MrWilson

Godlike
Here's an article from R8tings comparing the 2 monitors. I am happy to follow R8tings, they have a good testing methodology IMO.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Here's an article from R8tings comparing the 2 monitors. I am happy to follow R8tings, they have a good testing methodology IMO.
Just an instant addendum to that comparison to avoid any confusion for the OP, it states the AOC has adaptive sync, but it is in fact full Freesync, same as on the LG.