AMD 5900X
Nvidia 3080 10gb (zotac)
32gb 3600mhz vengeance (2 x 16gb)
ROG Strix x570-f gaming
1tb ssd
1tb m.2 nvme
Corsair 1000w rmx modular gold
Corsair plat h115i hydro series

One thing that surprises me is how hot my GPU runs even with settings akin to owning a 3080 are turned off.

For example:

Running Ds3 (a 2016 game) at max settings 1440p with the default fan profile had the GPU up to 75 degrees (and two instances of fps dropping to 1 for a few seconds)

Diablo 3 at max settings (Geforce experience optimised) put the GPU at around 75 degrees after only a few minutes (and boy are the fans loud)

Warzone with medium textures, native resolution and 'mid' settings would also see the GPU get upto around 72 degrees. No raytracing

Valheim at max settings (aa, motion blur and v sync off) gives me 110 fps on average. Gpu at 75 with fans at approx 80 percent (msi afterburner with custom curve) but HORRIFIC freeze/stuttering - maybe the game is poorly optimised idk.

Having a high end gaming pc is brand new to me so maybe my expectations are off. But could someone please enlighten be as to if this is normal performance? I guess I thought the 3080 would crush everything at 1440p but maybe I'm wrong.

One other thing to note.... There are no back or top exhaust fans on my pc - may this help my gpu temps? The case comes with 3 front fans and my aio radiator is mounted at the front of the case.

Thanks!

Steveyg

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
The 3080 should be crushing everything yes

This is likely an airflow issue but 75degrees is nothing to worry about either mate

If I was you I would mount my AIO on the top of the case and set it up to exhaust. You have all the fans pulling air at the minute I would assume from the description. So you would need something to expel the air. Mount that AIO on top and see if that helps, I bet it would

AccidentalDenz

Lord of Steam
My 3080 pretty much peaks at 68 to 70 degrees almost no matter what games I run - I've got a different case though. I would imagine as @Steveyg says that you've not got anything to worry about, and that it is likely down to airflow.

Jman1222

Guys, thanks for the responses, I really appreciate it. What I've noticed on my aio is that it's mounted with the tubes on top and lower than the pump (to my knowledge not a great thing). Looks like I'm left with one option as I can't have the radiator front mounted with the pump lower than the tubes/top of the rad. If I were to move it and install a rear exhaust fan - how difficult would this be?

Jman1222

Unfortunately it looks as if I won't have the clearance to mount the radiator and fans on top, guess I'm kinda screwed

Steveyg

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Unfortunately it looks as if I won't have the clearance to mount the radiator and fans on top, guess I'm kinda screwed
Not really mate those temps are fine, even adding an extra exhaust fan will help an awful lot. It'll just be imbalanced in the sense of the case pulling in more air than it can exhaust but it's nothing critical or detrimental to the parts. 75 Degrees is well within the operating capacity of a GPU, I would only get concerned if it started to go above 90 degrees

As for the clearance I take it, it's because you have RGB RAM?

VirtualDevil

Silver Level Poster
Would adding 2 more fans to the roof to act as extra exhausts be beneficial?

I ask because I have a similar issue whereby I have 3 case fans, rad mounted front and installed my own rear exhaust fan so potentially looking at 2 roof fans to compensate.

75c is fine though. Mine tends to idle around 50-55 and hit 65-75 while gaming. (diablo3, outriders)

Steveyg

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Would adding 2 more fans to the roof to act as extra exhausts be beneficial?

I ask because I have a similar issue whereby I have 3 case fans, rad mounted front and installed my own rear exhaust fan so potentially looking at 2 roof fans to compensate.

75c is fine though. Mine tends to idle around 50-55 and hit 65-75 while gaming. (diablo3, outriders)
Two fans on the roof would help yes but those temps you are getting are absolutely fine. It's nothing to be concerned about

Jman1222

Thanks a bunch @Steveyg. I will defo add a rear fan regardless of what I try to do. I don't have rgb ram, just standard vengeance 16gb 3600mhz, but it looks really tight to try to mount it up there, I could well be wrong though. I guess the main reason I want to move the aio now is discovering that its not very good for the pump to be the highest point in the loop as is the case with the build 😔

Steveyg

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Thanks a bunch @Steveyg. I will defo add a rear fan regardless of what I try to do. I don't have rgb ram, just standard vengeance 16gb 3600mhz, but it looks really tight to try to mount it up there, I could well be wrong though. I guess the main reason I want to move the aio now is discovering that its not very good for the pump to be the highest point in the loop as is the case with the build 😔
If you don't have RGB RAM it should fit. It could be really tight but it should go up there, honestly worth trying as worst case scenario you just mount it on the front again but this time you can try a more optimal position for the tubing

Last edited:

Ash_

Master Poster
Can you upload a picture of the inside of your case. Although 75 degrees is nothing to worry about as such, having all your fans + radiator on the front is not the best.

Optimising it better, will allow the card to be cooler, so quieter and boost better.

Jman1222

Thanks guys, just got back to the house, this is how it currently looks

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210423_181019_com.android.gallery3d.jpg
    Screenshot_20210423_181019_com.android.gallery3d.jpg
    915.4 KB · Views: 170
  • Screenshot_20210423_181016_com.android.gallery3d.jpg
    Screenshot_20210423_181016_com.android.gallery3d.jpg
    574.1 KB · Views: 158
  • Screenshot_20210423_181013_com.android.gallery3d.jpg
    Screenshot_20210423_181013_com.android.gallery3d.jpg
    548.3 KB · Views: 170

Ash_

Master Poster
Okay, looks like the case can’t support 140mm fans in the roof and the H115 is a 280MM rad. So the builder did all they could really, you’d have to buy some 120mm fans and mount them yourself for exhausts and i’d highly recommend doing so.

edit: i tell a lie... looks like it can support 140mm’s up top, according the their website. I think that maybe the case fans aren’t connect to the rad and if they mounted the 140s up top, there would be nothing mounted directly into the rad.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Guys, thanks for the responses, I really appreciate it. What I've noticed on my aio is that it's mounted with the tubes on top and lower than the pump (to my knowledge not a great thing). Looks like I'm left with one option as I can't have the radiator front mounted with the pump lower than the tubes/top of the rad. If I were to move it and install a rear exhaust fan - how difficult would this be?
That's the wrong way to do it, you want the radiator outlets lower than the pump, the pump should be at the highest point preferably with the tubes of the radiator at the lowest point, or certainly below the pump.

Ignore my previous comment, I'm seriously mentally challenged today!

Last edited:

Jman1222

That's the wrong way to do it, you want the radiator outlets lower than the pump, the pump should be at the highest point preferably with the tubes of the radiator at the lowest point, or certainly below the pump.

Yep my thoughts exactly, I watched this video earlier today, but not sure whether I've room to mount the rad and exhaust fans on top as desired

Jman1222

Sorry should also say I typod there - the pics explain better than I can, but you can see the pump is lower than the tubes of the rad and idk what to do