3600mhz ram

jaydenrw98

Bronze Level Poster
What could the affects of running 3600mhz ram have if your bios doesn't support it, or would it not run at all if it didn't support it?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
What could the affects of running 3600mhz ram have if your bios doesn't support it, or would it not run at all if it didn't support it?
RAM will only run at the max configured by the motherboard, so if the motherboard isn't capable of running at 3600 then it will run at whatever the max configured is.

Any RAM over

BUT, often with higher clocked RAM DIMMS, they'll have higher voltages to cope with the overclock, sometimes these aren't compatible with lesser systems, but that shouldn't be the case on 3600MHz.

jaydenrw98

Bronze Level Poster
RAM will only run at the max configured by the motherboard, so if the motherboard isn't capable of running at 3600 then it will run at whatever the max configured is.

Any RAM over

BUT, often with higher clocked RAM DIMMS, they'll have higher voltages to cope with the overclock, sometimes these aren't compatible with lesser systems, but that shouldn't be the case on 3600MHz.
OK thanks, the reason I ask is because my pc sometimes doesn't boot up properly, only the fans will make a noise and there will be a orange light next to the ram which indicates there's an issue with the RAM, the components inside my pc all seem secure and fastened, and no errors came up in windows memory diagnostic, so i decided to switch the RAM to 3200mhz, and ever since i did that there's been no issues. Although i think this is just by chance it's booting up properly since i changed it, it wouldn't make much sense for the 3600mhz to be the issue. I think the only other option to go by now if it happens again is to run memtest over night.