3840qm cpu idle temps

darsmi

Bronze Level Poster
Hi....I've got a vortex 3 elite with the i7 3840qm CPU. I am just wondering what idle temps should be within normal range?
Mine is sitting between 58 and 62 degrees, which seems a little on the warm side.
Would appreciate if someone with the same cpu and preferably the same laptop could answer if possible. Thanks

izzyy

People report theirs Vortex elites aka Clevo P170 Idling with 45-51 on boot and under some work around 51-58. So I saw you are in the reasonable range but a little warm.

You could try undervolting with Intels XTU there are guides all over and shouldnt have an adverse effect for the minor voltage drop. Worst thing that will happens is if you undervolt too low it will BSOD under load.

darsmi

Bronze Level Poster
Thanks izzyy......just wanted to add that mine is the p370em and not the p170. Don't know if that makes any difference.

Tom DWC

It's on the warmer side but within the acceptable range for a high powered laptop.

Depending on how long you've had the laptop you might want to clean out the vents if you can, it's amazing how much dust can gather and what a difference it makes to temps, especially on load.

SmokeDarKnight

Author Level
I agree with Tom. I clean my Vortex 2 out once a month, i take out the heat syncs and clean in between. I was originally just cleaning either side but noticed a film of dust generating between the two syncs for the GPU. I usually remove the fans too and give them a clean out. Its quite easy to do.

The surface you put the laptop on too can make a difference. If you have it on a wooden desk its doesn't help the cooling process at all.

darsmi

Bronze Level Poster
Hi guys...ty for the replies......Only had laptop for 9 months or so and very happy with it. I must admit i aint cleaned it out for about 3 months so think i will give it a going over. Oh and its on a coolermaster stand.