3D Gaming - Yay or Nay?

Serendipity

Enthusiast
As the title says, do you agree with 3D gaming? A movement into the next generation of gaming or is it an expensive gimmick?

Thoughts?

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
i dont believe in 3D tbh, until it fully works without glasses (not like 3DS) then im not interested, plus i get eyeache very easily and therefore not a good idea, i struggle sitting through a 2 hr movie in the cinema a lot of the time

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
apparently the next xbox update will bring 3D, i dont know how they can squeeze that out of the GPU in there

Frenchy

Prolific Poster
apparently the next xbox update will bring 3D, i dont know how they can squeeze that out of the GPU in there

It already supports 3D, has done for a long time, it just wasnt enabled frontend because they were waiting till a standard began to emerge. With the differences in 3D technology from tv to tv it makes a big difference as to what 3D format they use for the consoles. But yeah, xbox has supported 3D since the same time as the ps3 pretty much.

Dayve

I'll make roughly the same post I made on the PCGamer article. 3d is like a bad fart. It rears its ugly head once a decade, lingers for a few years and then disappears into oblivion for the majority remainder of the decade. I'm pretty sure it has been doing this since the 70's, or maybe the 80's. They make some really, really expensive gimmicky gadgets, like 3d TV's or graphics cards, they cost an arm and a leg, and they market it like 3d is this awesome thing that makes games and movies better.

Way I see it, it just makes them different. I personally have absolutely no desire to have things jump out of the screen at me when I'm watching a movie or playing a game. I enjoy those 2 things exactly as they are on a regular TV/monitor.

Also 3d hurts my eyes after a few minutes.

My prediction is in about 2 years time you won't hear anything new about 3d. No new technology in the works, nothing to be released, no more games being made in 3d or anything. Then in like 2018 all of a sudden it'll start rearing its smelly, lingering-fart like head again and you'll start to notice it all over the gadget shows and technology shows and so forth, before it dies again in yet another couple of years.

Corfate

Author Level
Until it all becomes cheaper, i don't see the major companies selling 3D games as the masses won't want to fork out and buy it.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
I'll make roughly the same post I made on the PCGamer article. 3d is like a bad fart. It rears its ugly head once a decade, lingers for a few years and then disappears into oblivion for the majority remainder of the decade. I'm pretty sure it has been doing this since the 70's, or maybe the 80's. They make some really, really expensive gimmicky gadgets, like 3d TV's or graphics cards, they cost an arm and a leg, and they market it like 3d is this awesome thing that makes games and movies better.

Way I see it, it just makes them different. I personally have absolutely no desire to have things jump out of the screen at me when I'm watching a movie or playing a game. I enjoy those 2 things exactly as they are on a regular TV/monitor.

Also 3d hurts my eyes after a few minutes.

My prediction is in about 2 years time you won't hear anything new about 3d. No new technology in the works, nothing to be released, no more games being made in 3d or anything. Then in like 2018 all of a sudden it'll start rearing its smelly, lingering-fart like head again and you'll start to notice it all over the gadget shows and technology shows and so forth, before it dies again in yet another couple of years.

it is a lot different now though, im pretty sure back then it was just the cinema and a few cartoon movies that did 3D, and even then they had the old blue/red glasses that didnt actually do much, but now its properly supported with electronic glasses, proper 3D TVs etc, i still dont buy into it but its definitely got the proper products for it now

NMEBowen

Master Poster
personally i use 3d now and again not all the time for games such as batman,oblivion and most rpg`s its amazing and gives games a different in depth feeling. its not going to improve though because its pretty much perfect now the next step will be holographics and thats some time off so if you can deal with playing 10mins here or there for the 1st few months till your eyes can deal with the strain its well worth a shot as the better gpu`s all support 3d and i think the picture in 2d through my 120hz asus screen is far better than any 2d monitor or tv ive seen to date.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
i dont have a 3D monitor or TV and i think they are overpriced, and that is the main reason, if i could play 3D through my normal monitor then i would give it another shot, i know 3D can be made via the blue/red glasses and that doesnt require a 3D monitor

NMEBowen

Master Poster
concidering the glasses are 110 quid and i paid 235 for my 23inch monitor and got the glasses free i dont belive its over priced in anyway 125 quid for a 23inch 2ms monitor is infact incredibly cheep.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
yeh but then you have to pay for the glasses a lot of the time and £110 for a pair of glasses is a lot, and £235 is a lot of money with or without glasses, obviously they are much cheaper versions compared to the nVidia ones and probably not as greater quality (i cant actually comment as i own neither) and comparing it to the 24" iiyama monitor, you have to pay £66 extra and you lose an inch, yeh its 120Hz, but i cant really see much difference in fps considering whenever i play minecraft its at about 15fps, and the 24" is also 2ms response and you can also plug other things into the iiyama as it has 2 HDMIs and two different DVIs, the 3D one only has a DVI and a HDMI, plus the 3D one has no speakers, so you are missing out on a lot of things when you are paying extra for it and only getting 3D as a benefit

Frenchy

Prolific Poster
i dont have a 3D monitor or TV and i think they are overpriced, and that is the main reason, if i could play 3D through my normal monitor then i would give it another shot, i know 3D can be made via the blue/red glasses and that doesnt require a 3D monitor

Yeah but this is polarized 3d in the sense that it displays left and right images simulataneously. This has the problem of losing colour and often tinting the image, hence why they use the newer method of switching between alternate frames, which is why it requires double the refresh rate.

BirKy

Silver Level Poster
Where did you get the Monitor with glasses in the price from mr bowen? im currently looking for a monitor that is capable so i have the option in the future, but that deal seemed really good you got!

pr1s0ner

until 3D means that you have to look behind you to see behind you, I really cant see what makes it any better. Definately should be a gimmicky fad. Although so much cash has been invested, that I guess its here to stay for a while.

Frenchy

Prolific Poster
until 3D means that you have to look behind you to see behind you, I really cant see what makes it any better. Definately should be a gimmicky fad. Although so much cash has been invested, that I guess its here to stay for a while.

Cant really say that, I mean xbox spent millions developing HDDVD and thats nowhere to be seen now. However as much as I dislike 3D for most things, it does work well for certain things, football games like fifa for a start would look really good in 3D. Im not so sure about shooters, imo until they sort out the issue with having a 2d crosshair in a 3D image then its a no no.