460m frame rate

onlynik

Enthusiast
Just recieved a new laptop with a GTX460 and the frame rate in both Test Drive Unlimted 2 and Just Cause 2 are frankly pathetic, much worse than my 260 GTX in my desktop. ANy suggestions on how to make them better?

Gorman

Author Level
You simply cannot compare a mobile GPU to a desktop GPU.

The mobile version is a tiny chip which is optimised to run on a battery, a desktop card has a whole PCB dedicated to it and is designed with performance in mind.

The specs are as follows:

460m

GeForce_GTX_460m_low_3qtr.png

460m.JPG

GTX 260

GeForce_GTX_260_low_3qtr.png

260.JPG

You will never get the same performance out of a laptop as you would a desktop as size / heat / powerdraw cannot be met without the size of the desktop.

To try and improve performance of the 460m ensure the laptop is plugged in as running on battery mode will cause the machine to cut back in order to preserve battery

onlynik

Enthusiast
I'm not comparing it directly, but going from 40+ FPS to 5 on lowest setting's plus heaps of artifacts I would say is a great difference.

But thanks for your help, you are a credit to your company.

onlynik

Enthusiast
Will post some tonight when I get back from work. The artifacts are in the modelling of the cars in TDU2, which I've not seen in my desktop machine. My initial thought was that there was adriver issue.

pez

Just to give you a heads up, I just got my new lappy today - pictures in another thread tonight lads :) - and just run CODMW2. Flawless graphics and game play. Very Very sexy and smooth. Therefore, sounds like a borked or unseated gpu *shrugs*

onlynik

Enthusiast
SO I fored up TDU:2 last night ran Fraps, and the frame rate was 60fps, when before I was getting 5! No aretfacts in teh game either. Put the settings back on to high and had a very respectable 34 fps. SO I'm nw wondering what caused the issue. I'm going to keep my eye on it. I'll update the thread in the next few days.

onlynik

Enthusiast
All seems OK =, I've been up and down the road a few times and the laptop is working fine, managed 45fps on Crysis 2 last night. Thaks for all your help.

Reactions: pez