480Hz monitors incoming???

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Ok, it’s getting rediculous now, I think everyone is pretty unanimous that the improvement in game performance between 240hz and 360hz is so marginal it really is only worth it if there’s a mutlimillion pound paycheck alongside it, now this??? And the indoctrinated will swarm to it like a flock of flies

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
That is beyond insane. So all we need to do now is a bit of forced evolution to give us the compound eyes of an insect. Then we could actually appreciate those frame rates and tear it up on Call of Duty.

273D72C8-1FD3-46E4-87F1-D4B47A9CCC8B.jpeg

D

Deleted member 41971

Ok, it’s getting rediculous now, I think everyone is pretty unanimous that the improvement in game performance between 240hz and 360hz is so marginal it really is only worth it if there’s a mutlimillion pound paycheck alongside it, now this??? And the indoctrinated will swarm to it like a flock of flies

might as well put a frame around real life and call it a day

robin h 25

The Hz's are slowly creeping up...

Asus ROG swift 500Hz monitor

I would rather keep playing at 4K at around 100 - 144 fps and enjoy some eye candy, Than to lower the setting at 1080p or lower, so low just to achieve 500 fps,

At a guess, with some old Battlefield 1 screenshots...
1080p or lower trying to hit 500 fps??...
Battlefield 1 pixeled.png

or 4K at around 100 - 144 fps...
Battlefield 1 4K 50%.jpg

My personal opinion, Getting a gaming PC, I'm more about pushing the very best in graphics that i can, and that's my reason for gaming on PC,
I get the saying "More frames, Wins games" but when you have to reduce the setting so low, that it makes the games look like as if there were made 20+ years ago, i say , No thanks.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I do get it for real professionals, but so many youngsters are gonna leap on this kinda stuff due to influencers. It's a dangerous waste of money for some. There are no doubt extreme pros who could definitely benefit from them, although at that level, I would have thought they'd have some sponsorship by the big manufacturers and would have custom extreme refresh monitors given to them anyway.

Aza

Rising Star
But even with the most acute eyesight and reactions, theres a point where we're completely unable to see a difference... I would of thought that ahad been reached by 240Hz, let alone higher... It would take me a while and a lot of bio books, but theres a limit on how fast an impulse can travel down a nerve.

Even the most efficient/quick of us would be unable to see 500FPS a second.

Maybe they should do a monitor version of the pepsi challenge... a 144Hz, 240Hz and 360Hz monitor running off identical machines and see if people can consistently tell the difference to wina free monitor...

robin h 25

I do get it for real professionals, but so many youngsters are gonna leap on this kinda stuff due to influencers. It's a dangerous waste of money for some.

That's where you guy's come in and set them straight with great advice, but i guess you'll get the odd one that i'll come on here and be stubborn or just ignore any advice, because they'll want exactly the same hardware of their favourite influencers, and it'll not benefit them,
With them believing that they'll become god's gift to gaming, with them matching the hardware of their influencers,

500Hz monitor's...
(y) for the pro's in big prize pool money tournaments,
(n) for the average joe gamer's.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I guess looking back to when I was a kid, I was quite into cricket, and when getting a cricket bat, I wanted the one signed by my favorite cricketer.

I can totally understand why a kid watching esports games on YouTube gets fixated on one player, and wants all the hardware that they have, part for part.

That I can understand more than these greedy influencers who will promote anything to extremely influential minors so long as the paycheck is big enough.

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
I guess looking back to when I was a kid, I was quite into cricket, and when getting a cricket bat, I wanted the one signed by my favourite cricketer.
That’s a fantastic analogy and just goes to show the power that marketing has over us. It was bad when we were kids, with so much at their fingertips today the youth are really up against it.

I think I was quite lucky in some respects, I grew up in a very poor family guy and was insanely jealous of the well-off kid in my class who had the Adidas Predator football boots. But I could run rings around him and score for fun in my ten pound non branded boots with three missing studs. That taught me that all the Gucci gear in the world is no substitute for practice and skill.

TLDR - You genuinely don’t need go above 120Hz unless you’re into the competitive scene.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I grew up in a very poor family guy
Was that intentional ;)

and was insanely jealous of the well-off kid in my class who had the Adidas Predator football boots. But I could run rings around him and score for fun in my ten pound non branded boots with three missing studs. That taught me that all the Gucci gear in the world is no substitute practice and skill.
100%, and that's the point I like to try and get across. I've known semi pro players who can beat anyone in an online match on a 1080p 60Hz monitor.

High refresh just hones their innate talent, it doesn't create it, they just have that natural ability and (I keep saying it) quite literally superhuman reactions from the off.

Same as any sport, you can bet your bottom dollar that Usain Bolt was fast as hell when he was 5 years old. Just like Lewis Hamilton was incredible around corners racing dodgems at the fairground when he was 7. It's raw talent, you don't learn it, a good mentor / trainer will help you manage it, but it's always been there.

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
Was that intentional ;)
It’s not only you that can sneak in a cheeky moment in a post, esteemed colleague. I did think about adding a comma for emphasis but it seemed excessive 😜

High refresh just hones their innate talent, it doesn't create it, they just have that natural ability and (I keep saying it) quite literally superhuman reactions from the off.

Same as any sport, you can bet your bottom dollar that Usain Bolt was fast as hell when he was 5 years old. Just like Lewis Hamilton was incredible around corners racing dodgems at the fairground when he was 7. It's raw talent, you don't learn it, a good mentor / trainer will help you manage it, but it's always been there.
And that’s without us even going into the additionals that are part and parcel of the scene. Most of these pro gamers also operate their own channels and the hours that they aren’t spending practicing, they’re creating content and building an audience on the socials. It’s a full time job and then some.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Even the worlds best gamer can't react faster than what's produced by 144hz. 120ms, IIRC, is the worlds fastest reaction time to a single event....... a single event! That's 8FPS.

Everything that happens between 8fps and 144fps is reacting to something that's already happened. The key difference between the lower refresh rates and the higher refresh rates is prediction and accuracy. You have already reacted to the event 86FPS ago, you're now tracking the event in order to action it. Having a higher refresh allows a more accurate prediction and earlier updates to that tracking.

This is where the elite come into play. Due to their conditioning and muscle memory they absolutely can benefit from the higher FPS rates on the screen as they micro adjust like lightening in their actions.

This has been proven to have a tangible impact at 240hz among the elite. It's semi-proven to offer some an advantage at 360hz (even then, it's 1 out of 10 Pro elite), so much so it could even be considered white noise in the statistics.

500FPS....... they're at it to try and get longevity out of their 1080p panels. Mark my words. They know fine well the 1080p sales are going to fall off a cliff now that the GPUs have moved past their requirement. Attempting to stay relevant for the sales.

The frightening thing is..... it'll work.

Last edited:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Even the worlds best gamer can't react faster than what's produced by 144hz. 120ms, IIRC, is the worlds fastest reaction time to a single event....... a single event! That's 8FPS.

Everything that happens between 8fps and 144fps is reacting to something that's already happened. The key difference between the lower refresh rates and the higher refresh rates is prediction and accuracy. You have already reacted to the event 138FPS ago, you're now tracking the event in order to action it. Having a higher refresh allows a more accurate prediction and earlier updates to that tracking.

This is where the elite come into play. Due to their conditioning and muscle memory they absolutely can benefit from the higher FPS rates on the screen as they micro adjust like lightening in their actions.

This has been proven to have a tangible impact at 240hz among the elite. It's semi-proven to offer some an advantage at 360hz (even then, it's 1 out of 10 Pro elite), so much so it could even be considered white noise in the statistics.

500FPS....... they're at it to try and get longevity out of their 1080p panels. Mark my words. They know fine well the 1080p sales are going to fall off a cliff now that the GPUs have moved past their requirement. Attempting to stay relevant for the sales.

The frightening thing is..... it'll work.
That's a very good point actually, support for 1080p is definitely on the way out and I do think 8k will penetrate at the top end with next gen cards

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
So sorry to resurrect and old thread, but Alienware announced a 1080p 500Hz monitor at CES in January, well it's just been given a price point and availability date

Model Number: AW2524H
It's 24.5" 1080p IPS
It will come in at $830 so I'm expecting around the same in GBP

HomerJ

Prolific Poster
So sorry to resurrect and old thread, but Alienware announced a 1080p 500Hz monitor at CES in January, well it's just been given a price point and availability date

Model Number: AW2524H
It's 24.5" 1080p IPS
It will come in at $830 so I'm expecting around the same in GBP

and here's me sitting here with a 240hz monitor like a muggle. 🤷‍♂️