4K HD laptop screens?

D1craig

Enthusiast
any idea when these will be getting added? i ask because i beleive the new gtx8xxm series can handle higher than HD res... or am i mistaken?

just curious.

/D1craig

steaky360

Although the 8xxm graphics cards may be able to display at resolutions greater than 1920x1080 they will probably cry for its mommy if asked to do anything intensive at 4k. However, saying that, I don't have a clue if/when 4K laptop panels will be available. I've not seen any, anywhere yet (not really looked either. but nonetheless haven't seen any).

If/when they are released they may very well be prohibitively expensive.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
It will be very expensive and will eat up ridiculous amounts of battery. The next step before 4K will be 2560x1440 which may be or may not be available on laptops in the near future.

steaky360

Its not exactly common sight though other than whatever resolution it is apple are using. It will be another year before they become widely available if not longer.
I wasn't referring to apple, but I agree with what you're saying, they are not exactly run of the mill. They seem to all be in the circa £1K+ price bracket too although that is understandable I guess.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
I wasn't referring to apple, but I agree with what you're saying, they are not exactly run of the mill. They seem to all be in the circa £1K+ price bracket too although that is understandable I guess.

Can get a 2560x1600 tablet for £350 but need £1000 for a laptop with that screen :/

D1craig

Enthusiast
i have seen the razer blade laptop and that has a new gpu (gtx8xxm) and a 4k hd screen. looks smart as aswell.

i was only asking as everything i have read on these forums about increased vram was along the lines of "more than 2gb of vram is unnecessary unless you plan to use a higher than HD resolution" and as most of the gtx8xx series come with more vram than most other gpus i thought that is what they are aimed at?

thanx for the answers guys.

Azzthatch

Bronze Level Poster
Is it worth getting a laptop with a huge 4K screen? Its not exactly going to be portable so whats the point?

tom_gr7

Life Serving
I'd wait until 4k screens are actually affordable and graphics cards are available to run them with relative ease.

SlimCini

KC and the Sunshine BANNED
What's the point of 4k on a small laptop screen? You'd have to sit with your nose on the screen to benefit from that many pixels in such a small area.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
What's the point of 4k on a small laptop screen? You'd have to sit with your nose on the screen to benefit from that many pixels in such a small area.

You may not be able to see the pixels but it tends to make a nice difference to picture clarity, text benefits a lot especially on windows 8, because it tends to use 1 pixels width but it now has 4 pixels which can all be a different colour for extra sharpness. Also I personally would love the extra screen space. To be able to have 4 full size windows open would be perfect for me!

SlimCini

KC and the Sunshine BANNED
You may not be able to see the pixels but it tends to make a nice difference to picture clarity, text benefits a lot especially on windows 8, because it tends to use 1 pixels width but it now has 4 pixels which can all be a different colour for extra sharpness. Also I personally would love the extra screen space. To be able to have 4 full size windows open would be perfect for me!

Have you seen a 15-17" 4k screen next to a 1080p or 1440p one?

D1craig

Enthusiast
i see that the Optimus V has the option of a 3k screen. 3200x1800 but only allows the use of a gtx 860m :S wierd.

this isnt available on any of the gaming machines? why is this? any ideas when a newer higher resolution screen will be available for gaming machines?

ELL4EVER

Bronze Level Poster
Yeah quite a few modern gaming laptops come with high resolution screens but they don't have the graphics cards to play games smoothly at that resolution :/