4k Laptops?

DFish

OK I'm looking to put together a new laptop and want a 4k screen, but the only one I can find will not let me select the 4k option.

What's out there?

Fish

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
OK I'm looking to put together a new laptop and want a 4k screen, but the only one I can find will not let me select the 4k option.

What's out there?

Fish
Firstly, why do you want a 4k screen? What are you using the laptop for?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I want it becuase I can to be honest.

Fish
Couple of things, it depends what usage you're using it for, but generally:

The only time 4k on a laptop makes sense is if you're encoding 4k footage or photos.

4k even on a 17" screen is stupid because there's too little physical space to squeeze the pixels on, so you can't make things out and have to set a custom DPI to be able to actually see anything which completely defeats the object of having the increased resolution. The minimum advised screen size for 4k is 27", and even that's too small (I've got a 28" one), 32" is the optimum minimum size for 4k.

Gaming at 4k isn't possible without drastically lowering settings as there isn't a laptop card powerful enough to run it. Bear in mind laptop GPU's are less powerful than a desktop GPU, you'd need a 2080ti desktop card to comfortably run 4k, but there's only a max of 2080 on a laptop which equates to about a 2070 Super desktop card.

So basically, unless you have specific requirements, 4k is a really bad idea on a laptop.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I want it becuase I can to be honest.

Fish
If you just want it for bragging rights then go ahead, but even someone with perfect eyesight cannot see 4k on a laptop screen at reasonable viewing distances. From a usability and from an economic point of view it's a complete waste of money. You'll probably ask why they make them then - and that's an excellent question....

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
In the same way that Apple keep releasing new phones with very little difference to justify the price yet everyone goes "It's a new iPhone...I must have it!!!" (disclaimer: there are other mobile phone companies available who also do the same thing...I was just using Apple as an example before someone accuses me of being Anti-Apple....even though I am anti-Apple!!)
Ha ha!!!

D

Deleted member 94250

They make them for those who "want to have the latest and greatest because they can no matter the cost". Too many people just think "I must have 4k because it's the latest thing" without considering whether it is even going to make the slightest difference to them or, at the very least, being sensible, and asking advice. In the same way that Apple keep releasing new phones with very little difference to justify the price yet everyone goes "It's a new iPhone...I must have it!!!" (disclaimer: there are other mobile phone companies available who also do the same thing...I was just using Apple as an example before someone accuses me of being Anti-Apple....even though I am anti-Apple!!)
Apple is going AMD for their mac processors (as per rumours) so MAYBE you'll be less anti apple? Jkjk

SlimCini

KC and the Sunshine BANNED
ok so what would be the best option for a screen then?

Fish
The best option would be 1440p 144hz but laptop production companies are maniacs who decided to stop making panels like that a year or two ago and focus on only 1080p or 4k. The spanners.

So yes 1080p it is.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
The best option would be 1440p 144hz but laptop production companies are maniacs who decided to stop making panels like that a year or two ago and focus on only 1080p or 4k. The spanners.

So yes 1080p it is.
Yes, absolutely.... I find it crazy they haven't been pushing 1440p 144hz on laptops, the GPU's are perfectly suited to it now and the size is just about right.

D

Deleted member 94250

Yes, absolutely.... I find it crazy they haven't been pushing 1440p 144hz on laptops, the GPU's are perfectly suited to it now and the size is just about right.
my guess is because they can push either side of that market downward (and cause overpricing of 1080p by more demand than otherwise?), or upward and sell ripoff 4k