4K or 1440 , curved or flat?

So I've just purchased a new rig with a Ryzen 9 3900X and an RTX 3080 and I know I need to upgrade my monitor. I've put together a shortlist of different monitors but I'm still torn over 4k at 60Hz or 1440 at 144Hz. I'm also not sure whether to go for a bigger curved screen or stick with a slightly smaller flat screen like I'm used to.

I'd really appreciate any thoughts or advice, or specific recommendations/experience that anyone can offer.

Thanks.

target680

Bronze Level Poster
I have ordered my new pc and wondering the same.

I am currently using a dell xps 15 which has a OLED 4k screen which is so amazing. I also bought a 27 inch 4k 60hz screen LG a budget monitor but still 3840x2160.

I think why wouoldnt you go for a 4k screen rather than go 1440p. If youre pc can run it why not.

But then if FPS is key and you want to be csgo god then you need the 1440p 120 hz monitor.

Im talking out loud because i dont no wether to get a 1440p 120hz monitor to sit next to the 4k and just recuce the resolution to match have it as my slave second monitor.

Also if you have the dollar i would go with the ultra wide. If i could splash out on the ultra wide i would. It has to be the future.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I have ordered my new pc and wondering the same.

I am currently using a dell xps 15 which has a OLED 4k screen which is so amazing. I also bought a 27 inch 4k 60hz screen LG a budget monitor but still 3840x2160.

I think why wouoldnt you go for a 4k screen rather than go 1440p. If youre pc can run it why not.

But then if FPS is key and you want to be csgo god then you need the 1440p 120 hz monitor.

Im talking out loud because i dont no wether to get a 1440p 120hz monitor to sit next to the 4k and just recuce the resolution to match have it as my slave second monitor.

Also if you have the dollar i would go with the ultra wide. If i could splash out on the ultra wide i would. It has to be the future.
If going for a 1440p monitor it really needs to be 240Hz to make any use of the 3080.

For 4k you really want a 144Hz monitor as 60Hz will bottleneck the GPU.

If you want there is also superwide:

Those are the cheapest I know in each category.

target680

Bronze Level Poster
If going for a 1440p monitor it really needs to be 240Hz to make any use of the 3080.

For 4k you really want a 144Hz monitor as 60Hz will bottleneck the GPU.

If you want there is also superwide:

Those are the cheapest I know in each category.

I dont think a 60hz 4k monitor would bottleneck the 3080.

At max settings the 3080 is surpassing 60fps but not in a huge way. I shoudl be able to get a steady 60 fps at 4k ultra settings with every game.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I dont think a 60hz 4k monitor would bottleneck the 3080.

At max settings the 3080 is surpassing 60fps but not in a huge way. I shoudl be able to get a steady 60 fps at 4k ultra settings with every game.
You’re referring to the titles that were benchmarked like RDR2 and control? Those are Wildcard games that just need an enormous amount of power to run, conn control has literally every kind of ray tracing available. Any normal game will be well over 60fps, look at doom eternal, rainbow six and others.

It’s also not accounting for DLSS which none of the current benchmarks seem to include, that effectively doubles FPS in almost all titles.

Last edited:

target680

Bronze Level Poster
Yes your right. God think about CSGO. The frames will be crazy

So i dont have the cash to buy a £900 120 hz 4k screen at the moment.

When you talk about bottlenecking the 3080. It will be screen tears. But can i not just stick on vsync for while until i get a better screen?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Yes your right. God think about CSGO. The frames will be crazy

So i dont have the cash to buy a £900 120 hz 4k screen at the moment.

When you talk about bottlenecking the 3080. It will be screen tears. But can i not just stick on vsync for while until i get a better screen?
Bottleneck if means the card will be outputting more than the screen can show. If you’re sticking with 4k 60hz then you don’t need a 3080, you’ll get exactly the same experience with the 3070.

Unless you’re going to be upgrading the monitor fairly soon, but you will need £1000 for something appropriate.

target680

Bronze Level Poster
yeah planning on getting a screen shortly. Just not right away.

In the interim tho my 60hz 4k screen should perform fine

I bought a 55" LG 4k TV with 120Mhz refresh for £500 - man that suckers Huge! especially as i sit 600mm from it. Nice and immersive though and it has a plus that i can watch freeview when i get board of levelling in my MMO.

If you play games that need a fast refresh though, i'd suggest getting a 'proper' monitor. MMO's etc, a TV is fine.