4k tv

keynes

Multiverse Poster
Looking for advice on a good 4k tv for gaming. I was thinking on the Samsung js9000 but not many reviews available yet.

keynes

Multiverse Poster
The one I had in mind was the HU8500 which was released last year but it seems it is not very good for Pc gaming. The one I am thinking is the new model been release at the end of the month JS9000.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
I've never really considered a TV for PC gaming, I would always recommend a monitor personally but I think monitors only go up to about 34" which is probably way too small haha. The post processing on TVs tend to make their response times much higher than even the cheapest monitors.

Spuff

Expert
The post processing on TVs tend to make their response times much higher than even the cheapest monitors.

I don't notice any lag playing on my TV. I only play on my TV. I have the image duplicated with my monitor. But this is 1080p.
My TV in fact has a gaming mode to deal with lag (at the expense of something else I can't remember what), but I've never felt the need to use it.

Last edited:

keynes

Multiverse Poster
I don't notice any lag playing on my TV. I only play on my TV. I have the image duplicated with my monitor. But this is 1080p.
My TV in fact has a gaming mode to deal with lag (at the expense of something else I can't remember what), but I've never felt the need to use it.

what model do you have?

LFFPicard

Godlike
I looked into 4k TV's when looking to upgrade my TV.
In fact I done a lot of research on it, and the truth is, unless you want to pay a small fortune I wouldn't bother with a 4k TV yet, all the entry level TV's and some of the Mid level TV's are pretty poor at true 4k.
I also found a nice article that helps with deciding if you actually would benefit from a 4k TV, it all depends on viewing distance and angle, Take a look at this article in regards to this http://www.rtings.com/info/4k-ultra-hd-uhd-vs-1080p-full-hd-tvs

In the end I got the Samsung UE40H6400 Active 3D Smart LED 40"
Because of how big my lounge was, 4k was marginal improvement, and would of been about £800 more expensive to even get a remotely decent one.

Hope this helps!

keynes

Multiverse Poster
I looked into 4k TV's when looking to upgrade my TV.
In fact I done a lot of research on it, and the truth is, unless you want to pay a small fortune I wouldn't bother with a 4k TV yet, all the entry level TV's and some of the Mid level TV's are pretty poor at true 4k.
I also found a nice article that helps with deciding if you actually would benefit from a 4k TV, it all depends on viewing distance and angle, Take a look at this article in regards to this http://www.rtings.com/info/4k-ultra-hd-uhd-vs-1080p-full-hd-tvs

In the end I got the Samsung UE40H6400 Active 3D Smart LED 40"
Because of how big my lounge was, 4k was marginal improvement, and would of been about £800 more expensive to even get a remotely decent one.

Hope this helps!

I was thinking of the HU8500 55" Samsung but I read a few reviews indicating some lagging when gaming. The JS9000 is a 2015 model that seems to be good for gaming but around £1000 more. The link you provided was very helpful and some of the comments favour HUD TVs, I rather pay extra if it makes a difference but still unsure.

GeorgeHillier

Prolific Poster
I would stay away from Samsung TVs and Monitors, they tend to have bad colour contrasts compared to other manufacturers

Spuff

Expert
I would stay away from Samsung TVs and Monitors, they tend to have bad colour contrasts compared to other manufacturers

When I saw my Samsung TV among all the other TV's in the shop it looked by far the worst. The factory settings are bad, but my TV has extensive adjustment options and you can make the picture look very good. Video games via HDMI looked great from the start, the default is not colour precise but it makes the image pop in a very nice way. It's not like my well balanced monitor that I use for photo editing, but the TV looks a lot better for games.

Last edited:

LFFPicard

Godlike
Samsung have one of the best panels behind Sony.
The only issue with Samsung panels as Spuff pointed out, the factory settings are rather poor. I calibrated my TV and tweaked a few options and my TV is extremely nice now.

LFFPicard

Godlike
Samsung are still one of the top panels. Last I looked into it all, a couple months ago it was in the below order to quality panels.

Sony
Samsung
LG

I am not sure if this is classed as advertising competition or anything but try avforums, I go there often when I need comparison or advice on purchases for TV's Players etc, there are some dedicated threads on specific models with calibration information and everything. Very handy place.

keynes

Multiverse Poster
Yeah, avforums was vey good for reviews and advice. I ended up buying a 65" HU8500 which should arrive on Thursday. There is just so much choice and with the new 2015 range I was tempted to go with the JS9000 but it seems the input lag is greater on those.

LFFPicard

Godlike
65" Damn I am jealous, I only just managed to persuade the GF to move up to a 40" form our 32" we had in the lounge, silly thing is, TV design from the last couple years have massively reduced the frame size required to hold the panel. My 40" TV is about the same size as my 32" was as the frame on it was so big!

If I had gone and actually physically seen one in Currys or something I would of tried to go for a 50" instead :D Maybe next time!

keynes

Multiverse Poster
65" Damn I am jealous, I only just managed to persuade the GF to move up to a 40" form our 32" we had in the lounge, silly thing is, TV design from the last couple years have massively reduced the frame size required to hold the panel. My 40" TV is about the same size as my 32" was as the frame on it was so big!

If I had gone and actually physically seen one in Currys or something I would of tried to go for a 50" instead :D Maybe next time!

It is great! the picture image is wayyyy better than anything I have seen. 3D movies are also better than on my Asus monitor. Netflix has some great 4k content and just ordered a few movies remastered in 4k. Looking forward in upgrading my pc to do some gaming there.