5870m still decent? laptop offer inside

jubei

Anyone know where the 5870m would fall in against the 555m and 560m cards on offer here?

I have been offered a laptop with an i5-460m processor, 6gig ram, 1tb hdd, full hd screen and 5870m for 600 quid. Its an MSI GX660R.

Sound like a good deal or am i barking up the wrong tree. My main use for the laptop as on other threads here is for programming, so the hd screen suits me there. But gaming does come in as a secondary....want. If i wanted to play games such as wow, ssf4, starcraft 2 etc on this. Would it be able to give me a reasonable performance or am i looking at getting minimum a 560m/6990m?

Cheers

jubei

Good value for money? Or you reckon i should skip out on it?

From what little info i seem to be able to find on it, it seems to be a step up from the 555m card at least, but below the ones on offer in the vortex. However its like half the cost? N as gaming is a second prio and only really playing 'old' games on it i was just really curious if worth taking it.

Not too sure about the looks of the msi tho, kinda looks a bit...cheap? but having never seen one in the flesh i cant really judge their laptops.

jubei

how much are you paying for it?

Yeah 600. Reading around i can see these are indeed quite old tech. But then.....i am running a q6600, 4gig, 5850 desktop. So i am hardly cutting edge at the best of times and this has lasted me many years lol. But if there are legitimate reasons against gettin that laptop i will leave it, am not desperate for one but i thought it looked quite cheap n figured would ask some people in the know :)

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
there is no point getting it at that price, its effectively not much more than your current system

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
yes, what difference does that make? i said system, can mean either, both are electronological systems right?

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
could you please highlight 'desktop' or 'computer' or 'giant box thingy'

system can mean anything from my computer to a camera and i just use the term system for anything

Music Guy123

Prolific Poster
i am running a q6600, 4gig, 5850 desktop.

This was mentioned, then you posted what I put in the last quote. He showed to have a desktop as his current system. You then said it wouldn't be much better than his current system, giving the impression that the laptop won't be much more powerful than his current desktop

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
oh right, my bad :/ sorry guys

so taking that into consideration, your current desktop is probably better than that laptop, especially graphics wise

unless you need a laptop, then there is no point getting it, and you could get a brand new one (assumin the MSI one is second hand) from here for a good price, would probably recommend the Enigma III in your case, you will be able to play games probably better than that laptop although im not sure about what else you would want it for