5950x/3090... 6 BSOD's so far

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
More:

I have no clue what is causing all this...however, this comment on the AMD thread "also, some motherboard builder seemingly started rolling out a new AGESA version that seems to help lots of people with same issues" makes me wonder if it's CPU or motherboard (no clue what an AGESA is though)

I think you're on to something there.

AGESA is AMD code used to initiise AMD CPUs, it's implemented on most motherboards in the BIOS code.

I'd bet you a pound of fluff to a pinch of snuff that this is the problem....

https://itigic.com/what-is-amd-agesa/

Croupier

Me neither but I'll research it.

All the examples so far, bar one of your links, use Corsair Vengeance RAM. All are running it at 3600MHz.

The BSODs report a bus timing error. The CPUs are all AMD 5xxxx series, but different variants.

It looks like a timing problem somewhere......
After everything I've read I'm really nervous I'm just going to get my PC back with the problem not been fixed... some are reporting large gaps of time in which they experience their BSOD's and it's going to be one of those unlucky things that whilst they're testing it's not gonna happen - which must've happened initially for them to ship my PC to me in the first place. Do you have any insight into the tests they run? When putting my PC through a 3DMark Benchmark or ran it through Unigine Superposition it always stayed alive. Although I never got the time to play any games on it. Mine would always BSOD when the machine was completely idle or doing mundane tasks like browsing the internet.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
After everything I've read I'm really nervous I'm just going to get my PC back with the problem not been fixed... some are reporting large gaps of time in which they experience their BSOD's and it's going to be one of those unlucky things that whilst they're testing it's not gonna happen - which must've happened initially for them to ship my PC to me in the first place. Do you have any insight into the tests they run? When putting my PC through a 3DMark Benchmark or ran it through Unigine Superposition it always stayed alive. Although I never got the time to play any games on it. Mine would always BSOD when the machine was completely idle or doing mundane tasks like browsing the internet.
I've said many times that when RMAing any PC or laptop you need to take the time to look for ways to make it fail. When it BSODs, document what you were doing, what apps you had open, what was running in the background, what external devices were connected, etc. etc.

You have to put the time in yourself to help PCS make it fail. If it fails seemingly randomly you need to log every failure, save every kernel dump, export the system and application logs each time, and repeat exactly what you just did again to see whether it fails again.

The more effort you put in to establishing how and when it fails the greater the chance of PCS being able to reproduce it. The more documentation you provide, in the form of kernel dumps and log files, details of what was running, what devices were connected, even the time of day, all help PCS see what might be going wrong.

Think about when you go to the doctor. You don't just say you're sick. The doctor needs to know where the pain is, how severe it is, whether it's dull or sharp, whether certain activities make it worse, etc. etc. PCS, are the doctor here, they can't ask the PC what's wrong so you have to tell them....

Croupier

I've said many times that when RMAing any PC or laptop you need to take the time to look for ways to make it fail. When it BSODs, document what you were doing, what apps you had open, what was running in the background, what external devices were connected, etc. etc.

You have to put the time in yourself to help PCS make it fail. If it fails seemingly randomly you need to log every failure, save every kernel dump, export the system and application logs each time, and repeat exactly what you just did again to see whether it fails again.

The more effort you put in to establishing how and when it fails the greater the chance of PCS being able to reproduce it. The more documentation you provide, in the form of kernel dumps and log files, details of what was running, what devices were connected, even the time of day, all help PCS see what might be going wrong.

Think about when you go to the doctor. You don't just say you're sick. The doctor needs to know where the pain is, how severe it is, whether it's dull or sharp, whether certain activities make it worse, etc. etc. PCS, are the doctor here, they can't ask the PC what's wrong so you have to tell them....
I understand that now - I didn't receive that advice on the forum in my initial post when I was trying things. Hindsight huh?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
All these issues are related to defected CPU.
I have posted a lot of threads about it.
It’s not helpful to just assume things. Even if there is found to be an systematic problem, it’s not confirmed as yet, and the right thing to do is troubleshoot as normal. There are plenty of people running 5000 series systems perfectly fine.

GRABibus

It’s not helpful to just assume things. Even if there is found to be an systematic problem, it’s not confirmed as yet, and the right thing to do is troubleshoot as normal. There are plenty of people running 5000 series systems perfectly fine.
Yes sure.
I just say that the first thing to do would be to test a new CPU.

GRABibus

From my side, I didn’t get yet those issues since I received the computer on Thursday.

but as I read that a lot of people got those issues after one week, I still look at my screen sometimes to see if there is a Bsod or not or if the computer has rebooted 😊

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
From my side, I didn’t get yet those issues since I received the computer on Thursday.

but as I read that a lot of people got those issues after one week, I still look at my screen sometimes to see if there is a Bsod or not or if the computer has rebooted 😊
Please stop leaping on threads and posting that conclusion, it's not helpful in the slightest.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
What is tiresome ?

I don’t really get what you mean ?

we are not here to share ?
If you look at my posts you'll see I'm using actual data (from dumps) and a lot of experience. You'll also see how my thinking develops as the thread progresses. When troubleshooting it's important to keep an open mind and follow the evidence. Your keeping banging on that it's the CPU as though that were a fact, based only on some Web links, is I'm afraid indicative of a closed mind.

Gimmles

Bronze Level Poster
Hey guys, I tried changing a few settings in the BIOS, the computer seems stable with Core Performance Boost disabled so I tried that for a long while... Then I changed some voltages a touch and turned on CPB and it seems stable once again. Going to keep hammering it, and seeing what happens with what enabled/disabled- so if I do have an RMA on my hands that I know what to let PCS know needs replacing- of course will keep you guys informed if anything exciting happens :)

Croupier

Hey guys, I tried changing a few settings in the BIOS, the computer seems stable with Core Performance Boost disabled so I tried that for a long while... Then I changed some voltages a touch and turned on CPB and it seems stable once again. Going to keep hammering it, and seeing what happens with what enabled/disabled- so if I do have an RMA on my hands that I know what to let PCS know needs replacing- of course will keep you guys informed if anything exciting happens :)
Yeah I've read this is a fix elsewhere as well - I definitely rushed my PC back to them before trying a few things myself... just got to trust it's in capable hands

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Excellent work! :)

Could you please be sure to document your work and perhaps post the BIOS settings that work for you long-term on here for the benefit of others?

Gimmles

Bronze Level Poster
My CPU performance is better than before with the voltage changes and CPB turned back on, still no bluescreens tonight either... If I get another blue screen I will report back, going to run this for a while- but everything is seeming stable!

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
My CPU performance is better than before with the voltage changes and CPB turned back on, still no bluescreens tonight either... If I get another blue screen I will report back, going to run this for a while- but everything is seeming stable!
Fingers crossed!

Gimmles

Bronze Level Poster
Checking in, once again! The voltage changes seem to have done the trick- whether that means a 'faulty' cpu or faulty bios I'm not sure- but it's stable and I'm happy. If I have more bluescreens I will let you folks know of course- but all is well and good!

When I am happy in a longer term I will post my BIOS settings, but here is the reddit post I found that gave me some voltages to try/fiddle with that helped me get stable so far, if that helps anyone else coming across a similar issue :)

Last edited: