5950X and Nvidia RTX 3080 build

Little_Miss_Naughty

Bronze Level Poster
After a rather long 3 month wait, my new beast finally arrived on Christmas Eve.

This is my second build from PCS, my first being a Vortex IV from January 2014 with an Intel i7 4800MQ and an AMD Radeon 8970M. Pleased to say that the laptop is still going strong and has gone to my brother who was desperate for a laptop due to lessons going online and something he can game on (he plays GTA, Rainbow Six Siege etc. so a perfectly good computer for that).

As my university days are long gone and no longer need a machine that I can just put in my backpack and travel 250 miles on the train, I’ve gone back to desktop and sporting a 4K system.

Case
CORSAIR OBSIDIAN SERIES™ 750D FULL TOWER CASE
Processor (CPU)
AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16 Core CPU (3.4GHz-4.9GHz/72MB CACHE/AM4)
Motherboard
ASUS® CROSSHAIR VIII HERO (DDR4, PCIe 4.0, CrossFireX/SLI) - RGB Ready!
Memory (RAM)
32GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3200MHz (2 x 16GB)
Graphics Card
10GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 3080 - HDMI, DP
1st Storage Drive
2TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA 120 2.5" SSD, (up to 560MB/sR | 540MB/sW)
1st Storage Drive
4TB SEAGATE IRONWOLF PRO 3.5", 7200 RPM 128MB CACHE
1st Storage Drive
4TB SEAGATE IRONWOLF PRO 3.5", 7200 RPM 128MB CACHE
1st M.2 SSD Drive
500GB SAMSUNG 980 PRO M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 6900MB/R, 5000MB/W)
DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
16x BLU-RAY WRITER DRIVE, 16x DVD ±R/±RW & SOFTWARE
Memory Card Reader
USB 3.0 EXTERNAL SD/MICRO SD CARD READER
Power Supply
CORSAIR 1000W RMx SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Power Cable
1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor Cooling
Corsair H115i RGB PLATINUM Hydro Series High Performance CPU Cooler
Thermal Paste
STANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
Sound Card
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Network Card
10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT (Wi-Fi NOT INCLUDED)
Wireless Network Card
ASUS PCE-AX58BT Wi-Fi 6 (802.11ax) 2400Mbps/5GHz, 600Mbps/2.4GHz
USB/Thunderbolt Options
MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS
Operating System
NO OPERATING SYSTEM REQUIRED
Operating System Language
United Kingdom - English Language
Windows Recovery Media
NO RECOVERY MEDIA REQUIRED
Office Software
FREE 30 Day Trial of Microsoft 365® (Operating System Required)
Anti-Virus
NO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE

So far I’ve been enjoying AC Valhalla, Planet Zoo, Planet Coaster, NFS Heat, FIFA 21 all at 4K. My photography software Affinity Photo loads very fast and it’s great to finally be back with a decent workflow unlike the iPad that has been serving me for the past 2 months where it has transferred literally every single shot to my iPhone and filled up the iCloud.

There will be more games and software to try out but have had a blast and very pleased so far. Looking forward to trying AVID Media Composer at some point.

Hated the Windows 10 installation as usual. My partner and I much prefer Windows 7. Really disliked the system automatically installing Spotify!

I do hope communications with PCS improve soon however as I was given a different story each time I called up asking for an update on my machine and the 2 hour wait on the phone was a nightmare.

So here is a photo of the beast:
69E7FDB5-FC5A-4E0D-8739-73968890E96B.jpeg

RogWal

Silver Level Poster
Very nice spec! That'll stand you in good stead for a decent number of years to come.

Believe me, these days Windows 10 installation is a doodle. At the start of my career, I installed Windows 95 by feeding 13 floppy disks one at a time when prompted by the install process - it took an eternity to get through the installation.

But I agree with you with regard to the amount of additional junk that Windows installs these days :cautious:

Little_Miss_Naughty

Bronze Level Poster
Very nice spec! That'll stand you in good stead for a decent number of years to come.

Believe me, these days Windows 10 installation is a doodle. At the start of my career, I installed Windows 95 by feeding 13 floppy disks one at a time when prompted by the install process - it took an eternity to get through the installation.

But I agree with you with regard to the amount of additional junk that Windows installs these days :cautious:
I still do have Windows 95 lying around somewhere in the software museum :LOL:.

I will say it's nice to not take an entire day when installing the OS, I sorted my computer out straight after work at 10pm on Christmas Eve and I went to bed with the computer ready to play the next day even after having problems trying to get my mouse to work.

It's the questions about advertising etc. that really bug me. It feels like a piece of spyware. Then of course Windows randomly installing programs.

Little_Miss_Naughty

Bronze Level Poster
If you want Windows Millennium edition I've still got it in the loft! :oops:
That is one that I dodged 😂. I have 95, 98 and 2000 but not ME. I also found all the old GPU drivers from many moons ago too in the disc folder. I've had an ATI X1600, ATI HD 4850 (that was an ASUS model), and a Palit Nvidia GTX 560 Ti.

I still have nightmares about vista :( congrats on the machine its a beast !
Oh yes Vista... My granddad had it because he had a new build at the time. I stuck with XP Professional right through until 7 came along and then I've dodged 8 too. I remember all the problems with Vista and it took us forever to just get the printer working.

It was a massive step forward from windows 3.1 and made PCs more welcome in the home 😊
Windows 3.1 - we used that in the computer maintenance club in college. Lots of good fun. I enjoyed studying IT too, was fun dismantling and troubleshooting machines.