6 Nations

MrWilson

Godlike
Six Nations begins this weekend, without a doubt the best annual egg-ball contest. Going to be a bit different with no crowds again, but should have some good rugby played, and all on terrestrial TV.

England and France are surely this year's standout favourites, but do we have any other supporters on here?

Stephen M

Author Level
Do not enjoy the game as much as I used to, so many changes over the years but still watch quite a bit.

My favourite version of footy these days is Aussie Rules. Lucky enough to have seen an AFL game plus a few WAFL games and the standard of that is not far off the main league.

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Six Nations begins this weekend, without a doubt the best annual egg-ball contest. Going to be a bit different with no crowds again, but should have some good rugby played, and all on terrestrial TV.

England and France are surely this year's standout favourites, but do we have any other supporters on here?
Yeah, I'm a rugby fan, 2 of my daughters are as well, the youngest one used to play when she was at uni

MrWilson

Godlike
Yeah, I'm a rugby fan, 2 of my daughters are as well, the youngest one used to play when she was at uni
I’m still blessed with enough youth to play, although as a prop not a whole lot of oomph is required on that front!

Really hoping we’re seeing more of 2019 England with some exciting attacking rugby, rather than the boring kick tennis we had to endure during the Autumn Nations Cup.

Stephen M

Author Level
Have always loved watching the All Blacks and had the privilege of meeting one of their great locks Peter Whiting, a superb line out player.

Would like to say we shook hands but the truth was more I attempted a hand shake and he shook my entire forearm. Not surprised his line out catching was so good, having hands the size of JCB buckets is a distinct advantage.

He was like a lot of the big men of the game then, frightening on the field and a really nice guy off of it.

AccidentalDenz

Lord of Steam
As a Scouser, I'm mostly Irish - about 60% of us are of Irish descent and my Irish links start from my grandparents on dad's side and one set of great-grandparents on mum's side; the other side of mum's family is Welsh. Considering dad was born in Scotland, I'm a bit of a mongrel and could have picked any of the 4 countries to support.

I first started watching the 5 Nations with dad in the late 90s, more of a bonding thing than anything. It was maybe 2001/2002 that I first really started enjoying rugby and that was down to the likes of Ronan O'Gara and Brian O'Driscoll coming through the ranks for Ireland, so I picked them as "my" team. Pretty much every other shaped ball sport you can name, I'm an England fan!

Stephen M

Author Level
Some of the qualifications to play international rugby seem to be quite tenuous, a lot of All Blacks are Fijian or from the South Sea Islands.

Think the best explanation I heard as to why someone could play for a country they had never before been to was: "Grandmothers swapped cats."

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
I’m still blessed with enough youth to play, although as a prop not a whole lot of oomph is required on that front!

Really hoping we’re seeing more of 2019 England with some exciting attacking rugby, rather than the boring kick tennis we had to endure during the Autumn Nations Cup.
My daughter played at prop as well with plenty of determination

FB_IMG_1565818367763.jpg

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Have always loved watching the All Blacks and had the privilege of meeting one of their great locks Peter Whiting, a superb line out player.

Would like to say we shook hands but the truth was more I attempted a hand shake and he shook my entire forearm. Not surprised his line out catching was so good, having hands the size of JCB buckets is a distinct advantage.

He was like a lot of the big men of the game then, frightening on the field and a really nice guy off of it.
I bumped into Bill Beumont on Preston market ,many years ago

MrWilson

Godlike
I am an unhappy camper. Scotland played well and England looked aimless. Fair play to you Northeners, just hope we get the necessary kick up the rear end before the rest of the tournament.

MrWilson

Godlike
Well, that was certainly an improvement over last week, but England continued to leak penalties and still managed to make a very green Italy side look good. Still, a bonus point victory is not a bad thing.
I do feel for Jack Willis's knee though, that is not a pretty thing, hope he has a smooth and fast recovery.

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
No the Jack willis incident was nasty, England need to do a lot better, if we are lucky we might end up in fourth come the end of the tournament.............