6800 XT

BT81

Enthusiast
Ok. Who ordered one ;-)

Thought a risk from 3080 to see if something arrives Christmas. Made the change at 14:05 yesterday!
Also increased my Hard Drive space. Was always needed and I get a free game. Seems like a good idea.
Also, the 3600 appears out of stock. So increased the to the 3600x. £20 difference I think. Otherwise. Lets see! 4k Planet Zoo. Here we come

NZXT H511 MID-TOWER GAMING CASE (WHITE)
Processor (CPU)AMD Ryzen 5 3600 Six Core CPU (3.6GHz-4.2GHz/36MB CACHE/AM4)
down_right_arrow.gif
Change to: AMD Ryzen 5 3600X Six Core CPU (3.8GHz-4.4GHz/36MB CACHE/AM4)
MotherboardASUS® TUF X570-PLUS GAMING (USB 3.2 Gen 2, PCIe 4.0, CrossFireX) - ARGB Ready!
Memory (RAM)16GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3200MHz (2 x 8GB)
Graphics Card10GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 3080
down_right_arrow.gif
Change to: 16GB AMD RADEON™ RX 6800 XT - HDMI, DP - DX® 12 (Delivery before Xmas not guaranteed)
1st Storage DriveNOT REQUIRED
1st M.2 SSD Drive500GB SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 3500MB/R, 3200MB/W)
down_right_arrow.gif
Change to: 1TB SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 3500MB/R, 3300MB/W)
DVD/BLU-RAY DriveNOT REQUIRED
Power SupplyCORSAIR 750W RMx SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Power Cable1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor CoolingCorsair H115i RGB PLATINUM Hydro Series High Performance CPU Cooler
down_right_arrow.gif
Change to: Corsair H115i PRO Cooler w/ PCS Ultra Quiet Fans

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
If you really want a cooler (if the one on the CPU isn't enough), then I'd either switch back to the H115i PLATINUM or the H100i PLATINUM - as it seems the PLATINUM fixes some issues that the PRO version had.

I swapped mine out at 13:58 or 13:59 when it simply said 'Pre-Order', but then my order page shows 'Preorder - Not Guaranteed before Xmas' which I hope is a poor joke/cockup.

BT81

Enthusiast
13:58/59. Between that and 14:05. A thousands of people will have probably ordered. Stupid work conference call :-( !

I spoke to PCS this morning, they said a shipment was due on 24-Nov-20, as they only received about 10 in today! - Before this goes all '3080' - I suppose this time round. My expectation is ready when its ready, not point worrying

Nivek

Silver Level Poster
I amended my order which was in pre-production for 8 days to order the 6800 XT about 13:59.
like tony said it just said "pre-order" at the time I was placing the order.
Fingers crossed PCS get a decent number in in the next 2 weeks!

1605814444775.png

BT81

Enthusiast
If you really want a cooler (if the one on the CPU isn't enough), then I'd either switch back to the H115i PLATINUM or the H100i PLATINUM - as it seems the PLATINUM fixes some issues that the PRO version had.

I swapped mine out at 13:58 or 13:59 when it simply said 'Pre-Order', but then my order page shows 'Preorder - Not Guaranteed before Xmas' which I hope is a poor joke/cockup.
I only changed as it appeared the platinum ones were out of stock. Ill change it back :)

The power is fine isn't it? 750?

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
I only changed as it appeared the platinum ones were out of stock. Ill change it back :)

The power is fine isn't it? 750?
Yes, 750W should be fine - the advisor will normally tell you if you're too far under or over when you click proceed on a config.

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
If 750w was fine for an RTX3080, then why is 850w the de facto requirement for a 6800XT that is supposed to use less power?

Maybe that explains the conflict in my PSU recommendations between the configurator and order screen?

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Tony, Nvidia recommend 750 for the 3080, so the guys are giving a 100wW headroom to help future proof the system if in a couple of years the new cards require more power

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Maybe the configurator needs a little kick tweak then, as it was suggesting I DOWNGRADE from a 750W ;)

...off to amend order for eleventy-seventeenth time 🤫

ETA: done - although those HX/AX ones look special

2020-11-20_15-15-40.jpg

BT81

Enthusiast
I'm fine with 750rmx. I only have the 3600x. I personally won't be looking to upgrade anything for a couple of years. As long as it works and I don't fit power limits. Sweet! :)

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
@Nursemorph

Not to worry, £10-£20 doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things - saved more than that on the swap to the vapourware 6800XT (y)

...or I could charge the client I'm supposed to be working for another hour's fee.

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
BTW, I got an estimated build email from PCS earlier, and I think it's a real one...as I no longer have any RTX3080 in my build?

Estimated build is now Monday 23rd November THIS YEAR!!!

Derngek

Silver Level Poster
BTW, I got an estimated build email from PCS earlier, and I think it's a real one...as I no longer have any RTX3080 in my build?

Estimated build is now Monday 23rd November THIS YEAR!!!
When I spoke to sales team they did said that I increased my chances of getting my PC build quicker by switching from asus 3080 to rx 6800x. But obviously it depends if they will get enough units of AMD stuff in stock this month

Jingo

Bronze Level Poster
I also switched out to a 6800xt and received emailing saying 30th for build. I suspect that given they've now added the not guaranteed for Christmas message that we may all be waiting a little longer.

To be honest I'll consider switching to the 6900xt if there is no movement by the time that's released.

decaro

Enthusiast
The entire 6000 series are going to end up like the 30 series cards, scalped into oblivion with months of wait times, don't get your hopes up

Derngek

Silver Level Poster
I also switched out to a 6800xt and received emailing saying 30th for build. I suspect that given they've now added the not guaranteed for Christmas message that we may all be waiting a little longer.

To be honest I'll consider switching to the 6900xt if there is no movement by the time that's released.
The chances are like the rtx3090 the 6900xt may be made in lesser quantaies compared to 6800xt and rumors are that the aftermarket 6900xt won't be available until sonetime in January

Jingo

Bronze Level Poster
The chances are like the rtx3090 the 6900xt may be made in lesser quantaies compared to 6800xt and rumors are that the aftermarket 6900xt won't be available until sonetime in January
I guess my thinking was PCS would at least get a couple in, and if most people aren't willing to pay more then I could get one of those.

Mostly wishful thinking I'll grant you, but there is a little logic behind it.