6800 XT

SgtSprog

I ordered my I9 10900k with a RTX3080 strix system last week after watching 50 hours of YouTube benchmark reviews and countless Linus, GN, BitWit and Jayz2Cents content around the pros and cons for AMD V Intel and Nvidia options (if your spending big bucks on a system then you need to do your research in my book! )

I know the AMD 5950 has more cores and is quicker and better for productivity and gaming.............the rx6800 is better for sheer power...........

so why you say am I sticking with my choices? like everyone, I have my reasons.

Pretty much everything available NOW is great! there don’t seem to be any purely BAD choices and depending on what you want to do we have some great options available to us, I have never posted on the PCS forum but have bought many machines from PCS over the years for my personal, business and other businesses I have managed and have zero complaints.

I am using an Octane VII GTX1080/I7 8700 (from PCS -Excellent machine) at the moment and am struggling to get the experience I need, I am keen to get my system ASAP but realise by waiting for all the recent benchmarks to come in I have kind of missed the party :(, that said being a gamer for over 40 years (yes i had an intelivision machine!) so paitance is a necessary evil when it come to gaming!!!!

OK so to my point!!

I have read through many feeds and I am sure someone has covered this but, if many people appear to be revising their original choices from Intel/Nvidia options to AMD wont this speed things up a bit for everyone? a problem shared is a problem halved?

I hope this turns out to be the case and everybody gets their machines before Christmas!! even if it doesn’t then rest assured that when you get it,

IT WILL BE FANTASTIC!!!

Gavras

Master Poster
I ordered my I9 10900k with a RTX3080 strix system last week after watching 50 hours of YouTube benchmark reviews and countless Linus, GN, BitWit and Jayz2Cents content around the pros and cons for AMD V Intel and Nvidia options (if your spending big bucks on a system then you need to do your research in my book! )

I know the AMD 5950 has more cores and is quicker and better for productivity and gaming.............the rx6800 is better for sheer power...........

Pretty much everything available NOW is great! there don’t seem to be any purely BAD choices and depending on what you want to do we have some great options available to us, I have never posted on the PCS forum but have bought many machines from PCS over the years for my personal, business and other businesses I have managed and have zero complaints.

I am using an Octane VII GTX1080/I7 8700 (from PCS -Excellent machine) at the moment and am struggling to get the experience I need, I am keen to get my system ASAP but realise by waiting for all the recent benchmarks to come in I have kind of missed the party :(, that said being a gamer for over 40 years (yes i had an intelivision machine!) so paitance is a necessary evil when it come to gaming!!!!

OK so to my point!!

I have read through many feeds and I am sure someone has covered this but, if many people appear to be revising their original choices from Intel/Nvidia options to AMD wont this speed things up a bit for everyone? a problem shared is a problem halved?

I hope this turns out to be the case and everybody gets their machines before Christmas!! even if it doesn’t then rest assured that when you get it,

IT WILL BE FANTASTIC!!!
My only comment about heading for an Intel CPU is have a good read through their roadmap.

at present they are sending out End of Life (EOL) information about their CPU’s, Coffee is EOL this year and Comet is expected Q4 next year.

With Rocket possibly moving to lower nm (10nm has been said), however even that may just be a stop gap for next processor and a quick EOL would likely happen.

They are potentially sticking with same socket BUT not all motherboards may be compatible, this then means no PCIe 4.0 or greater.

I totally agree you need to do your own research, nothing worse than ending up with an EOL CPU and not being able to take advantage of new tech functionality.

Jingo

Bronze Level Poster

OK so to my point!!

IT WILL BE FANTASTIC!!!
I think it will marginally speed things up, but the supply issue is so bad and all the cards so in demand that things will only get noticeably better once everyone has sorted out their manufacturing. Same issue with the Xbox/ PS5

Jingo

Bronze Level Poster
Nope...and no further notifications otherwise...despite not having anything now that is supposedly unavailable.
I guess it was too much to hope that the emails would be accurate. I expect we'll get a similar message to the 3080 one soon

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
I guess it was too much to hope that the emails would be accurate. I expect we'll get a similar message to the 3080 one soon
I wasn't desperate for it when I was configuring/ordering, but assumed I'd only have to wait a few weeks (this being my first PC since my IBM XT in about 1988). I usually order a new Mac every 3 years, configure it and get a date that it will be delivered...usually within a week.

If I'd have known this was the standard sort of delay for a custom PC build (or had enough knowledge to know this wasn't a 'normal' time), then I'd have probably bought a (much worse in the long run) pre-built gaming rig from elsewhere, or kept my Xbox Series X pre-order slot (which I cancelled once I'd ordered this PC). Of course, I'd have then been unhappy with paying over the odds for 'last gen' CPU/GPU :mad: 😆

What I didn't realise was that I'd have to keep an eye out for 'dodgy' automated emails, and having to swap components out every other week to fix a 'new issue' the configurator/order page decides to create, or to see if I can 'jump the queue' by logging in at 2 minutes before each product was available to order, to simply get another 'maybe' :confused:

Of course I understand that this isn't a PCS-only situation, so it's not like I can say other builders would be any better...but I assume some of the buyers in longer queues are return customers who knew there'd likely be delays and knew to order early :unsure:;)

I've just got to learn some patience 😬

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I wasn't desperate for it when I was configuring/ordering, but assumed I'd only have to wait a few weeks (this being my first PC since my IBM XT in about 1988). I usually order a new Mac every 3 years, configure it and get a date that it will be delivered...usually within a week.

If I'd have known this was the standard sort of delay for a custom PC build (or had enough knowledge to know this wasn't a 'normal' time), then I'd have probably bought a (much worse in the long run) pre-built gaming rig from elsewhere, or kept my Xbox Series X pre-order slot (which I cancelled once I'd ordered this PC). Of course, I'd have then been unhappy with paying over the odds for 'last gen' CPU/GPU :mad: [emoji38]

What I didn't realise was that I'd have to keep an eye out for 'dodgy' automated emails, and having to swap components out every other week to fix a 'new issue' the configurator/order page decides to create, or to see if I can 'jump the queue' by logging in at 2 minutes before each product was available to order, to simply get another 'maybe' :confused:

Of course I understand that this isn't a PCS-only situation, so it's not like I can say other builders would be any better...but I assume some of the buyers in longer queues are return customers who knew there'd likely be delays and knew to order early :unsure:;)

I've just got to learn some patience [emoji51]
This is not the 'normal' situation at all, but these are challenging times, not just for PCS but for their suppliers too.

Derngek

Silver Level Poster
If we are lucky PCS may get some supplies of RX 6800XT sometime this week. I spoke to the sales team the other day and they think it might be the XFX cards. (to be honest all 3 brands looks impressive with a little more beefy cooling then the reference ones)

Last edited:

BT81

Enthusiast
As above...750w is the recommended minimum for both the 3080 (and 3090) and the 6800XT. For the small price difference, an 850w gives extra headroom as well as giving margin if a future GPU comes along that needs 850w. The configurator will always recommend based on what you need now, not what may be useful in 5-7 years time.

There's nothing wrong with selecting a 750w PSU as it will be fine for both cards...we just think ahead when considering specs that's all
I would upgrade to an 850, however, there doesn't appear to any RMx in stock, only the RM. Looking at at the below, is what PCS recommend. I wonder. If I had not been on the forum, would I even thought about getting a 850 supply.

1606252032662.png

Jingo

Bronze Level Poster
I would upgrade to an 850, however, there doesn't appear to any RMx in stock, only the RM. Looking at at the below, is what PCS recommend. I wonder. If I had not been on the forum, would I even thought about getting a 850 supply.

View attachment 19885
Yeah, I've just had an email telling me they can't get the 850 rmx so I should swap it for something else.

Jingo

Bronze Level Poster
The RM would be fine (slightly below the RMx), the AX if you want to spend a bit more.

I would say that the PCS configurator does build in a buffer...and that the recommended minimums do cover power hungry Intel chips. What the PCS configurator doesn't do is consider possible future needs (no way to know what power usage the next generation will need)...it also doesn't consider the quality of the power supply.
I just chucked in the 1000 rmx. Probably overkill and the whole thing will explode.