6TB Helium Filled HDD

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
I always thought that HDDs already had helium in them, due to it being able to get closer to the disk without touching it because of the smaller particles

but it must have been something slightly more dense

Boozad

Prolific Poster
How do you even fill 6TB of space up? I have movies, TV shows, music, games and penty of programs on my PC and haven't even started to threaten the 4TB HDDs yet, not the 240GB SSD.

DeadEyeDuk

Superhero Level Poster
How do you even fill 6TB of space up?

Ok, I had a slightly dense moment there...when I thought you were being dense...asking how they fill up 6TB of space with helium...

Not sure who is dense now...

...but it isn't the helium

badumtsshhh

:D

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
Well I'm guessing that these will be used in servers which need large drives, but I imagine it probably won't be long before we need something this size. Over the next year the increase in average game size will increase a fair bit, for example the new COD requires 40GB of disk space. And if every game takes such a huge increase then our drives will be filling up pretty quickly.

Stephen M

Author Level
Not sure if they would be any good for music making software. Would the vocal tracks come over with a funny squeaky voice:)

halox

Enthusiast
You will need to blue tac the PC to the floor to stop it floating away if you put too many HDD's in it. :p

nathanjrb

Prolific Poster
Well given that it's a finite resource - I'd rather it was put to use in HDDs than party balloons!

halox

Enthusiast
Hydrogen would be even better. It would just go pop if it sprung a leak. On a serious note totally pointless, unless there are moving parts that are greatly affected by the air friction then its just a gimmic like nitrogen filled tyres. It only makes a slight difference but they make up for that with the cost.