7970m - I'm beginning to get nervous

Hey,

I order a laptop last week, and I chose the 7970m based on some benchmark reviews that put it right next to the gtx 680m. But since then, I've read a lot of horror stories on this and other forums regarding the drivers. Is it as bad as all that? Is the extra £200 worth it for peace of mind?

SmokeDarKnight

Author Level
Hi Splitinfinity,

Which laptop is it you have gone for?

My friend has had the Vortex 3 with the HD7970m since its launch and he hasn't had any problems with it what so ever, the only problem seems to be with windows 8 at the moment that on the latest drivers the brightness controls dont seem to work at the moment so the laptop is always at full brightness which isn't a major issue in his case.

I have the last years 6990m and his laptop still outperforms mine.

I think that most of the issues have been resolved and a lot off issues are from the software not being set up to run off the GPU instead of the integrated graphics.

You could change to the GTX680m and i think you would get a slightly better experience but im not sure whether it would be justified by £200.

Saying that if i had the money i would have gone with the Nvidia but the ATI is still a great card.

Both cards have minor problems in some games but in most cases this can be resolved with driver installs and settings.

Hope this helps a bit.

I've gone for the Vortex III 15 incher. It's good to hear that your friend has had no problems; I'm hoping the issue is that people who do have problems tend to be the ones to talk about their experience, while those without problems are too busy playing games!

My main hope in starting this thread was to hear some positive feedback about the card, so if there are others reading this who have no complaints about the 7990m please do post!

mb1980y

I got the Vortex III 17.3 with the 7970m about 3 weeks ago, so far "touch wood" no issues what so ever, numerous games thrown at it all running smooth to me. So far I'm really impressed with what I have got, couldn't be happier. :)

rickne

Master Poster
I think think you'll always hear more problems than not as the majority of people won't post their laptop is working fine

SmokeDarKnight

Author Level
I think think you'll always hear more problems than not as the majority of people won't post their laptop is working fine

What are the driver controls like for the Nvidia? Are they just the same as ATI?

We just have Catalyst Control Center which in basic mode you can just tell the computer that you want optimum performance or optimum graphics quality, and obviously if you go into advanced you can tinker about.

I hear that the Nvidia has an optimizer which sets up the computer for each individial game?

Was just to get an idea of the difference in user set up and friendliness in oppose to just frames per second.

Would you say that the user experience would factor into the price difference or is it just the same?

simper

I have bought a Vortex 3 with dual 7970's, I did have some problems initially but since the 13.1 and now 13.4 drivers, I haven't had any problems at all, they run surprisingly quiet, and absolutely CHOMP through any games I throw at them.

Don't worry it should be fine

rickne

Master Poster
OK, I have ATI on my alienware and Nvidia on the vortex. Which do I prefer? Probably CCC. Nvidias controls haven't changed since my last card which was an old 8800GT. They just feel awkward and more fussy to get around to customizing settings for each game. CCC was always more clear and user friendly.

kylhan

Silver Level Poster
I have the 7970m and love it!! It's not perfect but it's no where near as bad as it used to be when I first got mine lol. Enjoy and if you do have any issues just come on here and ask for help :)