90+ Load temps overclocked 4770K with H80i

Rustilol

Bronze Level Poster
Hi All

Set up is 4770k at 4.4ghz 1.25vcore, cooled with H80i configured to extract air out the back. I have 2 frontal intake chassis fans also.

My problem is when I am doing stress test or folding @ home my CPU hovers around 85c, often reaching up to 92c even when fans are all maxed out. It also reaches high 80's using crysis 3. Idle temps are fine, around 28/29.

I do not think this is safe for 24hr use, but I also do not want to go under 4.4Ghz, and to get 4.4ghz I need 1.25v!. I have some mx-4 thermal paste which just arrived as I was going to refub the laptop.

Do you think it is worth reapplying thermal paste? Is there anything else other than de-lidding that I can do to get these temps under control?

If my CPU did mess up due to overheating during my 3year gold, will that still be covered?

Other info: 1x GTX 770, good airflow in Fractal R4 case.

Thanks!

kruppsy

Master
Is your vcore staying constant at 1.25v throughout the testing? My AMD ASUS board has options to allow it to boost voltage under load to help maintain the overclock, so if this is enabled and there are varying levels, even if I set my vcore to say 1.38v it could still step up to 1.44v under load. This will affect heat massively. So it may be something you can change in BIOS.

HWMonitor will tell you what your current/max/min VCORE is, I'd watch this whilst testing to see what's happening. I don't think you should be getting those temps with the parts you have and that overclock. Although I have heard Haswell don't overclock too well.

Other thing to check is that the cpu cooler is seated correctly.

Rustilol

Bronze Level Poster
I made sure to set voltage to manual so there would be no fluctuations during testing to make sure that didn't happen. (Normally I use offset to take advantage of power saving)

I decided to go ahead and change the paste to mx-4 . I did a before and after 15 min stress test to see the difference
Max before: 91 Max after: 88 so I am now 3c colder!

The MX-4 is non-curing but I assume there could be a very small cure time and possibly reduce this even more?

I am also curiously seeing core #3 (0,1,2,3 on core temp) running 15c lower during stress. It was like this before and after the re-paste so possibly intel messing up the manufacture!

I also struggled a bit putting the cooler on as did it in-case. The bulky fans got in the way so may even re-re-do it at a later date.

Thanks for your help and advice :)