A Couple of Important Queries!!

tonrid

My H81M-PLUS that pcs gave me with my new desktop has not got the xmp configurator in the bios. Thus I tried looking for the bios update required but I do not know which bios update is the one I need as there are a few on the ASUS site: http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=H81M-PLUS&os=8 My question is do I need to download all the bios updates or one of them, and how do I go about updating the bios using a usb flash drive?

Lastly, does anyone know the maximum RAM Voltage my mobo supports?

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
The safest way to update the BIOS is using the Asus update utility,instructions and and RAM information should be in the motherboard user guide.

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
Why do you want XMP mode enabled? I know why you probably want it enabled but whats your reason for it. I would be reluctant to explain the process of updating the BIOS here for 2 reasons. If you are unsure how to do it, you probably shouldn't be trying it. Also someone will inevitably brick their computer by trying it and blame me...

Updating the BIOS is not something that should be done lightly. It is one of the few processes that can brick your computer if something goes wrong. Are you sure the option for XMP isn't hiding somewhere, it should certainly be on the original BIOS though that board is limited to 1600MHz.

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
Updating the BIOS is a lot easier and safer than it used to be if you follow the instructions in the user guide to the letter.
Having said that,I would only do it if absolutely necessary.

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
Updating the BIOS is a lot easier and safer than it used to be if you follow the instructions in the user guide to the letter.Having said that,I would only do it if absolutely necessary.

Over the past couple of weeks I think we have had 2 posts here about people bricking boards, (that I've seen anyway) I had a PM about a month ago and know someone who bricked a brand new board messing with the BIOS only recently.

I'm sure if you follow the steps exactly it would be ok, but somehow I don't think the OP needs to update his BIOS to enable XMP. Might be wrong though.

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
Over the past couple of weeks I think we have had 2 posts here about people bricking boards, (that I've seen anyway) I had a PM about a month ago and know someone who bricked a brand new board messing with the BIOS only recently.

I'm sure if you follow the steps exactly it would be ok, but somehow I don't think the OP needs to update his BIOS to enable XMP. Might be wrong though.
Yes,I'm agreeing with you :)
just making the the point it's a lot safer than it used to be,I actually managed to brick a brand new motherboard myself updating the BIOS years ago :(

Boozad

Prolific Poster
From your manual:

Capture.JPG

Here's what it says about changing RAM speeds in the BIOS, I don't see any mention of an EZ XMP mode.

Capture 2.JPG

And it looks like <1.65v is best suited for your RAM.

Capture 3.JPG