A couple of questions.

Tiger Feet

Silver Level Poster
I use a speech recognition program called Dragon NaturallySpeaking. It is quite resource intensive. The information below comes from another website where a speech recognition expert in there suggests the following:

"I have a few rules of thumb when it comes to desktop/laptop specs.

The best performance is derived by paying more attention to the operating system (64-bit), the level of cache (L3), and the amount of RAM (8 GB minimum) and RAM speed (1333 MHz or better)."

Where he mentions the level of cachet (L3), I just wanted to make sure that when I buy my computer from here, that is what it will have or be capable of doing.

I will probably be buying an Intel core i7-3610QM or i7-3720QM quad core mobile processor along with 24 GB RAM. So will that mean I will have a level of L3 cache or the equivalent to what he means?

Second question:

What is the difference between the Microsoft Office Pro 2010 software without media and the same with media?
Cheers

rb2610

Pretty sure most decent processors have L3 cache these days. On the configurator page in the store, if you click the '?' to the right of a component it'll give you more info, every CPU available does indeed have an L3 cache.

Also isn't 24GB of RAM a little bit overkill? :O

As for Office, the only difference afaik is that without media comes with the software pre-installed and just a license key, with media comes with a disk so you can install it again if for example your hard disk dies and you need to reinstall Windows, you still have the disk to install with.

Tiger Feet

Silver Level Poster
Pretty sure most decent processors have L3 cache these days. On the configurator page in the store, if you click the '?' to the right of a component it'll give you more info, every CPU available does indeed have an L3 cache.

Thanks for that. I always wondered what the question marks were for. Now I know :)

Also isn't 24GB of RAM a little bit overkill? :O

Do you think so? Isn't it the same as something like a Porsche. It may show 180 miles per hour on the speedometer but you know you will never go that fast in a built-up area or on a motorway but you know you have the power there. Plus I'm thinking of the future. This next laptop has got to last me 5 years and who knows what technology will do in that period. The other thing is, if it is overkill in your opinion, why do they sell it?

I have another question:

Regarding the Optimus laptop screen, what is the 'Optimus Series 17.3 inch AUO Matte' and why does it cost £85 more than the other screen versions in the Optimus series?

Thanking you.

keynes

Multiverse Poster
Do you think so? Isn't it the same as something like a Porsche. It may show 180 miles per hour on the speedometer but you know you will never go that fast in a built-up area or on a motorway but you know you have the power there. Plus I'm thinking of the future. This next laptop has got to last me 5 years and who knows what technology will do in that period. The other thing is, if it is overkill in your opinion, why do they sell it?
Looking at the system requirements: RAM: We recommend 2 GB for Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, and Windows Server 2008 32-bit, 4 GB for Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 64-bit. (Minimum: 1 GB for Windows XP and Windows Vista and 2 GB for Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008.)
24gb memory seems excessive and it will increase the cost of your laptop significantly if you are going for more than 8gb.

Yamikotai

Expert
Regarding the Optimus laptop screen, what is the 'Optimus Series 17.3 inch AUO Matte' and why does it cost £85 more than the other screen versions in the Optimus series?

Thanking you.
It's very colour-accurate, with a 95% gamut rather than the 40-50% gamut of a standard screen. This means it show a much wider range of colours, and as a result it looks amazing and vibrant.

Tiger Feet

Silver Level Poster
Looking at the system requirements: RAM: We recommend 2 GB for Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, and Windows Server 2008 32-bit, 4 GB for Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 64-bit. (Minimum: 1 GB for Windows XP and Windows Vista and 2 GB for Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008.)
24gb memory seems excessive and it will increase the cost of your laptop significantly if you are going for more than 8gb.

rubensolo,

If you are referring to the system requirements for Dragon NaturallySpeaking, those are what the manufacturers say. All they are interested in is selling their software and they are the absolute bare minimums anyway. Dragon NaturallySpeaking is very resource intensive and with every new version that comes out, it becomes more so.

They have just brought out the new Dragon 12 and I frequent a website forum called 'KnowBrainer' where there are many speech recognition experts. Bear in mind that Dragon NaturallySpeaking will need to be loaded with every single session on the computer, that is without using other applications such as Microsoft Word and a whole host more on the taskbar.

Have a read of this thread where one guy's computer kept crashing because of this. Then read Chucker Runquist's (a speech recognition expert) response to the guy. The guy asks what computers specs he should have to safely run Dragon 12 allowing for other applications to be open at the same time alongside it.

I am also allowing for the future when future Dragon versions come out and will only become more resource intensive every time. Although, I do appreciate your concern with the cost issues :)

http://www.knowbrainer.com/forums/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=7&threadid=14877&enterthread=y

Cheers

keynes

Multiverse Poster
Hi,
Sorry I didn't mean to misinformed you but I was just surprised by the 24gb memory ram advice which is way above the system requirements. I read the thread and Chucker recommends 8gb memory ram as a minimum.

Tiger Feet

Silver Level Poster
Hi,
Sorry I didn't mean to misinformed you but I was just surprised by the 24gb memory ram advice which is way above the system requirements. I read the thread and Chucker recommends 8gb memory ram as a minimum.

You are probably right and it is a bit over the top. If you think that's over the top, Chucker has 32 GB RAM on some of his computers. Even for a gamer (which he is not) that is way over the top :))

Regarding the 'Optimus Series 17.3 inch AUO Matte' screen, in your opinion is it worth spending the extra £85 for a more vibrant coloured screen?

Cheers

Xii_Damian

Bronze Level Poster
I wouldn't buy the Matte screen for the program alone, I only got a Matte screen due to being a addict to games and photoshop..not sure if this is very visual software, but I'd go for 17-3610m + 8gb ram (1333mhz) and an SSD

Just check a review by PCMag, visual there is nothing impressive, although they suggest a good soundcard