A couple of questions

marklcfc

Gold Level Poster
Does anyone have a photo of a 50cm led strip? Does it attach to the side of the case? I am wondering whether I have enough light up things with the motherboard and cooling saying they are rgb.

Also on the motherboards what is the difference between tuf x570 and rog x570? I read somewhere that the rog was better at cooling. The difference is £54

marklcfc

Gold Level Poster
As to the motherboard, the main difference is the Strix has more VRMs which is useful for data processing and the like. In most cases, the Strix isn't really worth the extra
I've been comparing the two here and here.
The x570-f is missing a few things like the ASUS Quiet Thermal Solution part which includes m.2 heatsink

Also noticed the 570-plus mentions only 1st and 2nd gen ryzens in some cases

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I've been comparing the two here and here.
The x570-f is missing a few things like the ASUS Quiet Thermal Solution part which includes m.2 heatsink

Also noticed the 570-plus mentions only 1st and 2nd gen ryzens in some cases
This is all irrelevant to your uses quite frankly. the strix is a superior board no doubt, but it’s only effective for higher end CPU’s. For your uses it’s an unnecessary luxury.

Any X570 takes 3rd gen Ryzen

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
@marklcfc if the budget allows without compromising other parts, I would personally go for the strix, my point was it’s a luxury for your build, if you’re sacrificing other components then it’s not a good idea, but if it’s a luxury addition, personally it would be my go to also, it is a fantastic board.

marklcfc

Gold Level Poster
@marklcfc if the budget allows without compromising other parts, I would personally go for the strix, my point was it’s a luxury for your build, if you’re sacrificing other components then it’s not a good idea, but if it’s a luxury addition, personally it would be my go to also, it is a fantastic board.
Ok, maybe I will then. It was the last thing I hadn’t decided on. I’ve gone for a 3700x and 1660 super that I may upgrade at some point. A 1tb m.2 and 16gb 3666mhz ram if it helps

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Ok, maybe I will then. It was the last thing I hadn’t decided on. I’ve gone for a 3700x and 1660 super that I may upgrade at some point. A 1tb m.2 and 16gb 3666mhz ram if it helps
That's a premium platform to base any future upgrades on, it's about as good as you can get really.

I'd strongly suggest the 750W RMx PSU to pair with it, that will then be an absolute bulletproof platform that you can get any GPU you wish to in the future, even top tier X080 ti's.

Plus the RMx is much quieter than the lower end PSU's as it's semi passive and the fans only kick in when under load.

If you post the full specs just so we can verify everything?

marklcfc

Gold Level Poster
That's a premium platform to base any future upgrades on, it's about as good as you can get really.

I'd strongly suggest the 750W RMx PSU to pair with it, that will then be an absolute bulletproof platform that you can get any GPU you wish to in the future, even top tier X080 ti's.

Plus the RMx is much quieter than the lower end PSU's as it's semi passive and the fans only kick in when under load.

If you post the full specs just so we can verify everything?
I do have that after it was recommended a few weeks ago. This is what I have, it’s due to be built next week according to email yesterday.

Case Model:Fractal Design Define 7 Compact
Case From:
Processor (CPU)AMD Ryzen 7 3700X Eight Core CPU (3.6GHz-4.4GHz/36MB CACHE/AM4)
MotherboardASUS® TUF X570-PLUS GAMING (USB 3.2 Gen 2, PCIe 4.0, CrossFireX) - ARGB Ready!
Memory (RAM)16GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3600MHz (2 x 8GB)
Graphics Card6GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1660 SUPER - HDMI, DP - GeForce GTX VR Ready!
1st Storage Drive500GB Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" SSD, SATA 6Gb/s (up to 550MB/sR | 520MB/sW)
1st M.2 SSD Drive500GB SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 3500MB/R, 3200MB/W)
down_right_arrow.gif
Change to: 1TB SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 3500MB/R, 3300MB/W)
Power SupplyCORSAIR 750W RMx SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Power Cable1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor CoolingCorsair H100i RGB PLATINUM Hydro Series High Performance CPU Cooler
Thermal PasteSTANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
LED Lighting50cm Green LED Strip
Sound CardONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Wireless/Wired Networking10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT (Wi-Fi NOT INCLUDED)
USB/Thunderbolt OptionsMIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS
Operating SystemWindows 10 Home 64 Bit - inc. Single Licence [KUK-00001]
Operating System LanguageUnited Kingdom - English Language
Windows Recovery MediaWindows 10 Multi-Language Recovery Image - Supplied on USB Drive
Office SoftwareFREE 30 Day Trial of Microsoft 365® (Operating System Required)
Anti-VirusNO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE
BrowserGoogle Chrome™
Warranty3 Year Silver Warranty (1 Year Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour)
DeliverySTANDARD INSURED DELIVERY TO UK MAINLAND (MON-FRI

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Yeah, that's literally the perfect platform if you upgrade to the strix, you can't do any better to last you through a few GPU upgrades in the future. Completely bulletproof, very wise investment (y)

marklcfc

Gold Level Poster
Yeah, that's literally the perfect platform if you upgrade to the strix, you can't do any better to last you through a few GPU upgrades in the future. Completely bulletproof, very wise investment (y)
Great, will the cpu be enough too for future upgrades also?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Great, will the cpu be enough too for future upgrades also?
CPU is overspecced for gaming, not in a bad way at all, just will do perfectly well for gaming and much more powerful uses also.

It may be worth just checking the additional cost for the 3800x as often it's only a matter of a few pounds, and it's worth it if it's under £20

marklcfc

Gold Level Poster
CPU is overspecced for gaming, not in a bad way at all, just will do perfectly well for gaming and much more powerful uses also.

It may be worth just checking the additional cost for the 3800x as often it's only a matter of a few pounds, and it's worth it if it's under £20
It’s only £21 but I was out off by the extra power resources it requires for minimal improvement.

Roberttonkiss874

Silver Level Poster
Your PSU will more than compensate it’s why the guys tell you to ignore the over powering warning that will come up when you proceed or save the build it allows you to upgrade without worrying about putting in a larger power supply and a pile of hassle rewiring

marklcfc

Gold Level Poster
I read that the fan on the x570 can be noticeable, any thoughts? Also I've been thinking whether I should just go with the B550 instead which I started out with initially and save a little.
I am not very knowledgeable on what I actually need though

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I read that the fan on the x570 can be noticeable, any thoughts? Also I've been thinking whether I should just go with the B550 instead which I started out with initially and save a little.
I am not very knowledgeable on what I actually need though
The X570 is a better platform, no question, has better feature sets and better PCIe support. As said, it's a luxury.

It's completely up to you, the only reason i'd go with B550 would be to save cash (and it's not very much).

marklcfc

Gold Level Poster
I see the barracuda recommended on alot of specs, are these noisy? I'm in two minds whether to stick with both ssd's as the 1tb I want isn't available. The HDD I have always been noticeable I think, although it is quite old its a 5400 rpm.

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
I’ve no complaints against the barracuda, you might hear a click and a scratch as the platter gets whirring but not at a volume that should cause any bother. And that drive should generally be used for pics, vids, music etc. The sort of thing that a bit of start up noise makes no difference to.

As long as you’ve got a decent chunk of M.2 storage, noise and speed won’t be an issue for the big stuff 👍

marklcfc

Gold Level Poster
It comes down to price really....the SSD is about £60+ more than the Barracuda. If you can afford it without cutting back elsewhere then go for it. Personally, I'd go with the Barracuda platter drive and use the money saved to get the X570 motherboard. You can always buy a relatively cheap SSD down the road if you feel it's needed....prices on those should start dropping more as M2 drives become more mainstream
Too late I went into building this morning. I can never make a decision, I've got about 10 credit notes and 6 sub orders since the initial purchase :unsure: 🤦‍♂️