A few questions about the Proteus VII and the Optimus X (17'3)

Mysterclic

Hello everyone. I'm going to buy a new laptop, either the Proteus VII or the Optimus X (17'3), both specced with a GTX 1660 Ti. I'd like to have some infos on these machines : what kind of temps and noise level I can expect while gaming, and is the upgraded thermal paste worth it ? What is the pixel response time of the screens ? And, as I'll buy a laptop without any storage, I'll have to open the laptop to put my own SSD in it : is there any warranty issues with that ?
Thanks a lot for your answers ! :)

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
PCS don't sell laptops with no storage as they only sell complete systems. So you'll need to buy some kind of storage with the system.

As for the response time etc, you'll need to ask PCS what panels they use currently (since it is subject to change) and look them up. Also note:

Why either a 15.6" Proteus or a 17.3" Optimus and not other options? What's the full spec(s) you're looking at?

Mysterclic

Both laptops are specced with an i7 9750H, 16GB 2666MHz RAM and a GTX 1660 Ti. I chose these two because they have the best price/performance ratio in that price range, and I'm still not sure about getting a 15'6 or a 17'3 laptop...

slashinsoulz

The fans can get very loud if you're gaming. The speakers are very bad on the proteus and sometimes can't be heard over the sound of the fans if they're on max. For average use the temps are fine, though you'll still hear the fans, they're not loud but they're not whisper quiet. When gaming you'd most likely want to put the fans on max. I put my own SSD into my proteus, had problems with that. You'll have to ask for the drivers directly as they're not provided. The sound drivers are messed up so the sound blast connect app doesn't work. They said they'll get working drivers but I've been waiting over a week to hear back from them about it and still nothing. Also, be aware it has no microphone jack, so if you use a headset the microphone won't work, you'll have to stick with the inbuilt mic.

Last edited:

markh

Bronze Level Poster
I've read good things about the Vortex IX, which would also fit the specs you want and would handle the heat generated by the GTX 1660ti given that you can also bung an RTX 2060 in the same chassis. With the i7 9750h it seems to be standard to undervolt on any model as it typically runs very hot at stock voltage, and doing so can improve performance apparently.

There are loads of testimonies from owners of the Vortex chassis (Clevo PB50 in various guises) here:
http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/official-clevo-pb5xexx-g-owners-lounge.826810/page-87

Mysterclic

Thanks for the answers. I hadn't even noticed the Proteus don't have a mic jack... If the cooling isn't that good on that laptop, I'll go for the Optimus, which seems to have a beefier cooling system, as the Vortex is a little bit out of my budget, and in the end I think that I'll prefer a 17' laptop.