A few questions - Loose temperature sensor? Fan speed?

Smokitt10

Hi there all, please forgive the naivety but could someone tell me what this random red cable below is? It looks dangerously like a temperature sensor but is just not attached to anything and... if it should be attached to something could anyone give a little guidance? It's not seemingly long enough to attach anywhere to the GPU which would be my first assumption.

[Image]

Equally, I have three fans in my case (Corsair 4000x) but the top fan is running at a faster speed than the others constantly. Is there any way that I can perhaps make this match the others/controllable? The only reference point that seems to corroborate the issue there is Armoury crate which gives the following readout:

1627929083232.png

Any other information needed, please let me know and thank you so much!

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Hi there all, please forgive the naivety but could someone tell me what this random red cable below is? It looks dangerously like a temperature sensor but is just not attached to anything and... if it should be attached to something could anyone give a little guidance? It's not seemingly long enough to attach anywhere to the GPU which would be my first assumption.
That's the PC speaker. It doesn't "attach" to anything it's a closed circuit.

Equally, I have three fans in my case (Corsair 4000x) but the top fan is running at a faster speed than the others constantly. Is there any way that I can perhaps make this match the others/controllable?
You need to find which motherboard header it's plugged into, it needs to be in a CH_FAN header, I'm guessing it's currently in CPU_OPT? Looks like Chassis Fan 1 isn't connected, that's where it should be.

Smokitt10

That's the PC speaker. It doesn't "attach" to anything it's a closed circuit.

You need to find which motherboard header it's plugged into, it needs to be in a CH_FAN header, I'm guessing it's currently in CPU_OPT? Looks like Chassis Fan 1 isn't connected, that's where it should be.
Ahh thank you so much, embarrassing on the first point but good to know! I thought that stuff was always integrated with the board but guess I've never stopped to think about it!

I'll have a look at the second point and hopefully will be able to identify the correct headers. Hoping that they'll be obviously labelled but couldn't find any specific note on the m/b diagrams online.

Cheers!

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Ahh thank you so much, embarrassing on the first point but good to know! I thought that stuff was always integrated with the board but guess I've never stopped to think about it!
Oddly enough on 3rd party boards, they never integrate a speaker, have no idea why. Personally I don’t use one as I always get a board with a post code led display which does the same thing. Just one of those weird things I guess.
I'll have a look at the second point and hopefully will be able to identify the correct headers. Hoping that they'll be obviously labelled but couldn't find any specific note on the m/b diagrams online.
Yeah, they’ll be clearly labelled above the Pins. The motherboard manual will have clear layout of the board, which motherboard do you have?

Tomaz

It seems they connected case fan to CPU_OPT, which is wrong, and they did it to me as well (I received my computer a week ago). I simply reconnected it to the correct spot (you actually can't control CPU_OPT fan speed, that is one problem, and for me it always went at max. speed which was causing the case to be louder than it should) and all worked well.

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Mine had the same CPU_OPT fan issue - and I couldn't understand why my front-bottom fan was on full no matter what I did in FanExpert / BIOS / iCUE.

Once I'd cleaned up the mangled rat's next that was the cable routing hidden behind the side panel (which is a very small space) and fitted a Commander Pro unit for all the Corsair components to connect to it was all fine.

Smokitt10

Oddly enough on 3rd party boards, they never integrate a speaker, have no idea why. Personally I don’t use one as I always get a board with a post code led display which does the same thing. Just one of those weird things I guess.

Yeah, they’ll be clearly labelled above the Pins. The motherboard manual will have clear layout of the board, which motherboard do you have?
It's a B550-PLUS TUF but I think that I've found the missing header, it appears to be right in the middle of the board so perhaps was more hassle to get that hooked up than the optional header. I've had a look though and the cable management is a little severe for my liking with around 30 or so cable ties (to the point where it feels perhaps a little excessive) so I think I'll mark this one up as a rainy Sunday activity to unpick all of that and reposition the cables.

Thanks for the help in figuring out the issue there!

If you didn't mind another question perhaps, I was thinking about adding a rear fan to my case as it currently doesn't have one. At that point, would that have to go onto this CPU_OPT header as I can't see that there's a 4th standard one to connect that up to?

EDIT - Also thank you for the confirmation in the other responses, it's strange that it seems to be a relatively common issue!

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
It's a B550-PLUS TUF but I think that I've found the missing header, it appears to be right in the middle of the board so perhaps was more hassle to get that hooked up than the optional header. I've had a look though and the cable management is a little severe for my liking with around 30 or so cable ties (to the point where it feels perhaps a little excessive) so I think I'll mark this one up as a rainy Sunday activity to unpick all of that and reposition the cables.

Thanks for the help in figuring out the issue there!

If you didn't mind another question perhaps, I was thinking about adding a rear fan to my case as it currently doesn't have one. At that point, would that have to go onto this CPU_OPT header as I can't see that there's a 4th standard one to connect that up to?

EDIT - Also thank you for the confirmation in the other responses, it's strange that it seems to be a relatively common issue!
No worries, glad to help.

With a rear fan, or any case fan, it’s best not to have them in the CPU_Opt, reason being is that mimics the CPU_Fan behaviour and when gaming or something can get to quite high RPMs which a case fan probably should be doing.

If you were to source another fan, they will often come with a splitter - two 4 or 3 pin sockets that take the fan header and then merge into one motherboard header. The idea being that you tend to want case fan speeds all the same so it doesn’t matter so much if they’re on one header. If the fan doesn’t come with one, check your spares box, it’s possible there’s one in there, if not then you can pick them up for the price of a Russian castle.

Smokitt10

No worries, glad to help.

With a rear fan, or any case fan, it’s best not to have them in the CPU_Opt, reason being is that mimics the CPU_Fan behaviour and when gaming or something can get to quite high RPMs which a case fan probably should be doing.

If you were to source another fan, they will often come with a splitter - two 4 or 3 pin sockets that take the fan header and then merge into one motherboard header. The idea being that you tend to want case fan speeds all the same so it doesn’t matter so much if they’re on one header. If the fan doesn’t come with one, check your spares box, it’s possible there’s one in there, if not then you can pick them up for the price of a Russian castle.
A little delayed but just wanted to thank you (and everyone else that chipped in!) - it's taken a couple of weekends to get the case open and take a look but think that we're there; fan connector has been successfully moved to the correct header and has dropped the noise from the excessive RPM dramatically and new rear fan has been successfully installed! :)

Cheers for all of the advice!