A few questions...

harzo

Silver Level Poster
Hi folks

I have recently ordered a PC from PCS and it is nearing completion (woohoo!) I have ordered the following games online, all boxed, as they were all very cheap:

Just Cause 2
Brink
Metro 2033
Crysis: Maximum Edition
Hitman: Blood Money

1. Do I need the DVD to be in the tray or can these games be linked to my steam account?

2. If I see a game on Steam that I want NOW can I pre-pay for it on the Steam web page or have I to download the Steam program (I tried to pay online for Batman AA but it mucked up and I dunno where I went wrong)

3. Am I better connecting my monitor via HDMI or DV-I?

4. Where is currently the best place to pre-order BF3? I don't want to download Origin but I want the Karkland maps, beta access (not bothered about early 48 hr trial) If I buy the game on Amazon will it register to Steam or Origin only?

5. I have never really played an RPG fully, would I enjoy the Witcher 2 or am I better waiting for Skyrim? I am a bit of a graphics ***** and wanna show off my new system.

6. FINALLY.... are there any web sites where I can put in the spec of the PC I am getting and then select a game and see how well it will run it?

Many thanks in advance!

Teaz

Godlike
1. games can be linked to steam account and be played anywhere on any pc without disk if it works with steam and have the steam program installed.

2. not sure if pre pay works but you don't have pay through the steam program, it can be payed through the steam website, so long as you have an account on it.

3. hdmi and dvi are pretty much the same in quality except that hdmi has an audio passthrough where dvi is just the image. hdmi is just more flexible as it has audio. if you have dedicated speakers than you may be just as good with dvi

4. i dont know where the best place is but i would say GAME or Gamestation which are both doing it at 30 compared to most where its 35+ like origin.

5. you could watch gameplay? depends really since some has never really played it but certainly got hooked into it in just a couple of hours or a day.

6. not sure on that. perhaps someone else knows.

Frenchy

Prolific Poster
I had an account on my mac, bought a load of windows games ready for when my pc arrived, then just installed steam and downloaded. Really good, cus that way I didnt miss the summer sale.

harzo

Silver Level Poster
Thanks guys!

Are there any sites that tell you without actually accessing the PC you are using?

Drunken Monkey

Author Level
http://www.yougamers.com/
This one u need to hv ur pc

Not to sure about this one

http://www.game-debate.com/

Game Debate, the resource for
PC Game System Requirements
Compare your computer specs with the latest game recommended system requirements. Browse the GD game listings to explore the genres you care most about, check which your rig can handle and read the game reviews to help you choose your next game.

The Game Debate
Create a Gamer Profile and enter your own PC system specifications then browse the site for direct comparisons with game requirements. The Gamer Profile can also unlock a range of publishing tools allowing you to write articles about favourite games, track current PC titles, score them, or leave a comment so the PC gaming community can benefit from your experience.
So come on in and join the game debate.
[\quote]

Last edited:

Corfate

Author Level
http://www.game-debate.com/games/index.php?g_id=1164&game=Battlefield 3

If you scroll down about 1/4, you'll find a box on the right where you can enter your CPU and GFX model.

"Battlefield 3 System Requirement Tool
CPU Brand
GFX Brand
Laptop No Yes"

If you enter what it is, then press proceed, and then scroll down abit again, you can enter the exact specs. Not sure if this is for every game, but it's worth a shot i guess :)

Edit: Not sure how accurate this is, but you might as well try :)

Last edited:

Frenchy

Prolific Poster
http://www.game-debate.com/games/index.php?g_id=1164&game=Battlefield 3

If you scroll down about 1/4, you'll find a box on the right where you can enter your CPU and GFX model.

"Battlefield 3 System Requirement Tool
CPU Brand
GFX Brand
Laptop No Yes"

If you enter what it is, then press proceed, and then scroll down abit again, you can enter the exact specs. Not sure if this is for every game, but it's worth a shot i guess :)

Lol mine came up as 10, 10, 10 Big yellow tick lol.

Corfate

Author Level
Haha, like i said, im not sure of the accuracy of the actual site, but it's the only one i could find ;)

Frenchy

Prolific Poster
Haha, like i said, im not sure of the accuracy of the actual site, but it's the only one i could find ;)

Well tbh id be surprised if an i7 2600K, 8GB of ram and 2 x 3GB GTX580 didnt score 10 over everything, infact id be gutted lol.