A Gaming Laptop

Hello there all,
Hopefully I'm posting this in the right place, and that a few wise heads can chime in with their thoughts.
I'm looking to buy a good / great gaming laptop.
Budget at present is 1500- 1800 max. (Secret extra lil max MAYBE 2000 for a particularly epic machine...)
I tend to game anything from late 90s to current day, but particularly hover in the 2010 + range; any of the new Tomb Raider Games, the new Hitman games, Absolution and at a push if I could, Blood Money. Also anything Assassins Creed and the like- my options have been limited for many years and thus my selection isnt very wide. If a machine presented itself with great range, obviously I'd like to move up with heavier games. *I will not be gaming Fortnite, so I dont need to worry about meeting those particular requirements...😂) I would love a machine that could handle some coding and video editing too, especially for the extra bitta cash.

The below is a machine I'm looking at, but at present isnt available for ordering til December 25th; worth the wait??? With VAT I'm looking at €1788.00. Im aware the camera and speakers are a bit sub-par, but am willing to live with it tbh.
Please mention any and all setbacks that spring to mind.

17,3" VYPER

• Chassis & Display Vyper Series: 17.3" Matte Full HD 144Hz 72% NTSC LED Widescreen (1920x1080)
    Processor (CPU) Intel® Core™ i7 Eight Core Processor 10875H (2.3GHz, 5.1GHz Turbo)
    Memory (RAM) 16GB Corsair 2666MHz SODIMM DDR4 (2 x 8GB)
    Graphics Card NVIDIA® GeForce® RTX 2070 - 8.0GB GDDR6 Video RAM - DirectX® 12.1
    1st M.2 SSD Drive
    1TB PCS PCIe M.2 SSD (2000 MB/R, 1100 MB/W)
    Memory Card Reader Integrated Micro-SD Memory Card Reader
    AC Adaptor 1 x 230W AC Adaptor
    Power Cable 1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
    Battery Vyper Series Integrated 91WH Lithium Ion Battery
    Thermal Paste STANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
    Sound Card 2 Channel High Definition Audio + MIC/Headphone Jack
    Bluetooth & Wireless GIGABIT LAN & WIRELESS INTEL® Wi-Fi 6 AX201 (2.4 Gbps) + BT 5.0
    USB/Thunderbolt Options 1 x THUNDERBOLT 3 PORT + 3 x USB 3.1 PORTS
    Keyboard Language VYPER 17 SERIES RGB BACKLIT UK KEYBOARD
    Operating System Windows 10 Home 64 Bit - inc. Single Licence [KUK-00001]
    Operating System Language United Kingdom - English Language
    Windows Recovery Media Windows 10 Multi-Language Recovery Image - Unlimited Downloads from Online Account
    Office Software
    FREE 30 Day Trial of Microsoft 365® (Operating System Required)
    Anti-Virus BullGuard™ Internet Security - Free 90 Day License inc. Gamer Mode
    Browser Microsoft® Edge (Windows 10 Only)
    Carry Case Tech Air 17.3" Classic Toploading Case (Clam-Shell)
    Notebook Mouse INTEGRATED 2 BUTTON TOUCHPAD MOUSE
    Webcam INTEGRATED 1MP HD WEBCAM

Thank you ALL!
    Juliette x

FerrariVie

Super Star
Hi @juliettec49 ! Apart from the gaming, coding and video editing (which are more kind of software usage), what can you tell about the actual laptop usage? Like why are you choosing a laptop instead of a PC in the first place? Do you need it to be portable? To have great battery life? To be thin and light? And there is any particular reason why you chose the Vyper chassis instead of other options?

Those questions might help us to understand if the vyper is indeed the better chassis for you (y)

Hello @fevieira , thanks for the reply! Yes, the portability is key for me.
Honest to god, no preference to Vyper over another chassis! I dont mind lugging a slightly heavier machine if it means I get better spec, weight isnt an issue per se.
I also didnt recognise most of the chassis builds on the PCS site, but thats owing to years of gaming on a standard DELL, so I know sweet FA about other brands!

FerrariVie

Super Star
Hello @fevieira , thanks for the reply! Yes, the portability is key for me.
Honest to god, no preference to Vyper over another chassis! I dont mind lugging a slightly heavier machine if it means I get better spec, weight isnt an issue per se.
I also didnt recognise most of the chassis builds on the PCS site, but thats owing to years of gaming on a standard DELL, so I know sweet FA about other brands!
If you're only looking for pure performance, I tend to recommend the Nova (I have one btw) because it uses a desktop CPU. A build like the below will be quite better (performance-wise) than the Vyper that you chose. The former has a slightly smaller screen and is also smaller in general (a lot thicker, though), but is also a bit heavier (2.7Kgs vs. 2Kgs on the Vyper).

Chassis & Display
Nova Series: 15.6" Matte Full HD 144Hz 72% NTSC LED Widescreen (1920x1080)
Processor (CPU)
AMD Ryzen 7 3700X Eight Core CPU (3.6GHz-4.4GHz/36MB CACHE/AM4)
Memory (RAM)
16GB Corsair 2666MHz SODIMM DDR4 (2 x 8GB)
Graphics Card
NVIDIA® GeForce® RTX 2070 - 8.0GB GDDR6 Video RAM - DirectX® 12.1
1st M.2 SSD Drive
1TB PCS PCIe M.2 SSD (2000 MB/R, 1100 MB/W)

However, you need to know about the drawbacks of having a DTR (laptop that uses a desktop CPU). I've recently helped someone to understand it, please have a look at the thread below and feel free to ask me any questions you might have about it.

PS: The Vyper 17" is very similar to the Recoil 15", but just a bit better as it has a magnesium alloy chassis (lighter than aluminium, while still very durable).

This is super, thank you so much! That DTR thread is brilliant. The setbacks arent ones that would totally discourage me? Especially if youre getting such a good desktop performance in a LT.
Funny actually, the original quote I asked for from PCS sent me a nova with the below spec... Which is pretty much identical to your quote?
Would this machine definitely do the job you think?
Had also just been looking at the Recoil, and it looks super too, but a good whack more expensive.

Recoil Series: 17.3" Matte Full HD 144Hz 72% NTSC LED Widescreen (1920x1080) + G-Sync
Processor (CPU) Intel® Core™ i7 Eight Core Processor i7-10700K (3.8GHz) 16MB Cache
1st M.2 SSD Drive
128GB ADATA SX6000 LITE M.2 2280 (1800 MB/R, 1200 MB/W)

and the Nova quote...
Chassis & Display Nova Series: 15.6" Matte Full HD 144Hz 72% NTSC LED Widescreen (1920x1080)
Processor (CPU)
AMD Ryzen 7 3700X Eight Core CPU (3.6GHz-4.4GHz/36MB CACHE/AM4)
Memory (RAM) 16GB Corsair 2666MHz SODIMM DDR4 (1 x 16GB)
1st M.2 SSD Drive
1TB INTEL® 665p M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD (up to 2000MB/sR | 1925MB/sW)
AC Adaptor
1 x 230W AC Adaptor
Power Cable
1 x 1 Metre European Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Battery
Nova Series Detachable 4 Cell Lithium Ion Battery
Thermal Paste
STANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING

And also, one of my concerns was the AMD over i7/9 core processor. In a machine like the nova for instance, does the AMD do as good a job as an i9 in a machine of similar components? what is it that makes one more superior than the other or is it a mixture of the machine as a whole? Why should one pick an AMD over an i_ unit?

Thank you!!! jx

FerrariVie

Super Star
Had also just been looking at the Recoil, and it looks super too, but a good whack more expensive.

Recoil Series: 17.3" Matte Full HD 144Hz 72% NTSC LED Widescreen (1920x1080) + G-Sync
Processor (CPU) Intel® Core™ i7 Eight Core Processor i7-10700K (3.8GHz) 16MB Cache
1st M.2 SSD Drive
128GB ADATA SX6000 LITE M.2 2280 (1800 MB/R, 1200 MB/W)
The Recoil is indeed a better machine than the Nova. They're both DTRs, but I see the Recoil as an improvement in everything (even on the drawbacks :p ), assuming that you can go for an i9+2070 or a i7+2080. But then the issue will be the cost, it is quite expensive. If you're thinking about an i7+2070, I'm not sure that it's going to be that much of an improvement over a nova with 3700x+2070, and it's still more expensive.

And also, one of my concerns was the AMD over i7/9 core processor. In a machine like the nova for instance, does the AMD do as good a job as an i9 in a machine of similar components? what is it that makes one more superior than the other or is it a mixture of the machine as a whole? Why should one pick an AMD over an i_ unit?
Well, in my opinion it's basically a cost to performance ratio, as well as thermal performance. A desktop Ryzen 7 will have similar performance (just a bit slower) to a desktop i7 10700K, while being a lot cheaper and producing less heat (65/88W on the Ryzen vs. 125/150W on the i7). If you're comparing the desktop Ryzen 7 to a laptop i7, then the latter consumes 45/62W having similar single-core performance, but loosing by much on the multi-core. The difference is basically because of the below:

Ryzen 7 3700xi7 10875H
3.60 GHzFrequency2.30 GHz
4.40 GHzTurbo (1 Core)5.10 GHz
4.00 GHzTurbo (All Cores)3.20 GHz

So the clock speeds on the R7 are a lot higher than the laptop i7 (both normal and multi-core turbo), while the i7 wins on the single core. However, please note that:
"Intel is now touting the chip's ability to push up to 5.1 GHz on a single-core (up from 4.8 GHz). However this is only achievable with what Intel calls 'Thermal Velocity Boost'. Essentially this gives the processor 200 MHz of extra frequency when running below 65C, and 100 MHz when running below 85C. If the CPU isn’t running nice and cool, the actual maximum turbo frequency tops out at 4.9 GHz"
Source: https://www.techspot.com/review/2012-intel-core-i7-10875h/

OK...very interesting. And my above Recoil quote is that before I even approach i9 core....ooof! 💰
How do you feel about your NOVA? What do you play and how do you get on with it? Have you been mostly impressed? And how long do you think she will last before youd look to upgrade?

Also! Does one lose out much with a Recoil machine with a smaller screen? Is the below much of a muchness when compared with the nova of a (semi) similar price range?

Chassis & Display Recoil Series: 15.6" Matte Full HD 240Hz 72% NTSC LED Widescreen (1920x1080)
Processor (CPU) Intel® Core™ i7 Eight Core Processor 10875H (2.3GHz, 5.1GHz Turbo)
1st M.2 SSD Drive 128GB ADATA SX6000 LITE M.2 2280 (1800 MB/R, 1200 MB/W)
Memory Card Reader Integrated 3 in 1 Card Reader (Full Size SD / SDHC / SDXC)
AC Adaptor
1 x 230W AC Adaptor
Power Cable
1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Battery
Recoil Series Integrated 94WH Lithium Ion Battery
Thermal Paste
Sound Card
2 Channel High Def. Audio + THX Spatial Audio

Also, really showing my ignorance now; my Nova Quote tells me I dont need any 1st Storage as I would get 1st M.2 SSD Drive 1TB INTEL® 665p M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD (up to 2000MB/sR | 1925MB/sW).
Is this all kosher!?

FerrariVie

Super Star
OK...very interesting. And my above Recoil quote is that before I even approach i9 core....ooof! 💰
How do you feel about your NOVA? What do you play and how do you get on with it? Have you been mostly impressed? And how long do you think she will last before youd look to upgrade?
My choice was to get the best GPU that I could within my budget, don't caring much about the CPU, since I was getting a DTR that the CPU can easily be replaced in the future.

This was based on my tight budget and by my line of thought that when you're running games at ultra and high settings, you're usually GPU bound and the CPU won't make much of a difference at 1080p. Then, as games start to become heavier and my GPU won't support ultra/high settings anymore, changing the settings to medium or low makes a bigger part of the work to be switched to the CPU, and that's the moment where I'll replace the Ryzen3 3100 by (likely) a Ryzen7 3700x, giving me a boost in FPS and maybe even allowing me to switch back to high settings. I only expect that to happen in the next couple of years or so, and planning to keep the Nova for about 5 years (assuming it doesn't die before that).

For now, I can run any heavy games at ultra settings with a minimum of 60-70 FPS (talking mainly about RDR2 here, as my other games are not that heavy - Hitman, Division, Football Manager, GTA V)

Also! Does one lose out much with a Recoil machine with a smaller screen? Is the below much of a muchness when compared with the nova of a (semi) similar price range?
I know it is confusing, but the Recoil 15 is not a DTR (while the Recoil 17 is), so it will be comparable to the Vyper 17 or Proteus 15. The specs you posted are quite similar to the Vyper 17 that you initially posted, just in a smaller chassis. So all my comments on the Vyper's performance will also apply to the Recoil 15. You will basically have the same GPU performance as the Nova, but lower CPU performance (assuming you would select a 3700x on the Nova) and the CPU cannot be replaced/upgraded in the future (only DTRs will allow you to do that).

But then on the Recoil 15 you get better build quality, battery life and portability (just because it's lighter and thinner, but other dimensions are pretty much the same).
Also, really showing my ignorance now; my Nova Quote tells me I dont need any 1st Storage as I would get 1st M.2 SSD Drive 1TB INTEL® 665p M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD (up to 2000MB/sR | 1925MB/sW).
Is this all kosher!?
Yeah, this advice was actually correct. The nova has 3 slots for storage, where 2 are of the M.2 type (faster and pricier) and the other 2.5" type (slower and cheaper). So you can indeed leave the 2.5" empty and add your own drive in the future, but I would recommend that to be used only for games, photos, videos, documents, etc, and not as your windows and apps boot drive.

Last piece of advice regarding the main drive is: If you have budget left, I would pick a Samsung drive instead of Intel, as the former is the faster and more reliable one around. But that is not as important as GPU and CPU (or even warranty), so only bother about this if you can.

Last edited:
Youre absolutely trojan @fevieira, thank you so much.
Ive played around with things today and am definitely leaning towards the NOVA with the 3700CPU, 2070 Card and 1TB Samsung Drive.
Can I ask....why is it not possible to put a 2080 card in this machine? Even with a Ryzen 9 in the CPU? Even though the 9 isnt really pushing much more clock speed than the Ryzen 7.
And how do you feel about that limitation for the future of the machine?

Segwayrider

Silver Level Poster
Can I ask....why is it not possible to put a 2080 card in this machine? Even with a Ryzen 9 in the CPU? Even though the 9 isnt really pushing much more clock speed than the Ryzen 7.
I believe its because Intel made a deal with Nvidia that means that you can get any higher of a GPU than the 2070 (maybe 2070 Super?), with an AMD CPU. At least for a period of time. To my understanding it's because Intel knows AMD got them beat so that´s their way of staying competitive. I´m not 100% sudden though, and if I´m wrong I´m sure someone will correct me.

I believe its because Intel made a deal with Nvidia that means that you can get any higher of a GPU than the 2070 (maybe 2070 Super?), with an AMD CPU. At least for a period of time. To my understanding it's because Intel knows AMD got them beat so that´s their way of staying competitive. I´m not 100% sudden though, and if I´m wrong I´m sure someone will correct me.
If that is indeed true, it is wild haha! Not sure I like Intel after a move like that. Although I guess its all business eh...

Last edited by a moderator:

FerrariVie

Super Star
Youre absolutely trojan @fevieira, thank you so much.
Ive played around with things today and am definitely leaning towards the NOVA with the 3700CPU, 2070 Card and 1TB Samsung Drive.
Thank you!

Yeah, not sure what is the reason behind this. My guess is that if it's not something like what @Segwayrider said, it might be because of the thermal solution. The difference in power draw between the 2070 and 2080 is quite big (115W x 150W), so it would require a lot more thickness and bigger fans (more likely on a 17" laptop). So at the moment, the Recoil 17" is the only PCS laptop that offers a full-fat 2080.

Just be careful about how Nvidia names their laptop chips, it's created to trick people into buying something that's not what they're expecting. A quick overview of Nvidia GPUs performance (based on my knowledge):

RTX 2060 laptop < RTX 2080 max-Q laptop ≈ RTX 2080 Super max-Q laptop < GTX 1080 laptop ≈ RTX 2070 laptop ≈ RTX 2070 Super laptop ≈ RTX 2060 desktop < RTX 2060 Super desktop < RTX 2070 desktop < RTX 2080 laptop ≈ RTX 2070 Super desktop < RTX 2080 desktop

Every time you see "max-q", it means a low-powered chip, and low power means lower performance (but also less heat, it's usually used on thin and light laptops).

The price does not follow the same pattern and usually obeys only the numbers 2060 < 2070 <<< 2080

And how do you feel about that limitation for the future of the machine?
Since you're likely getting the R7 3700x, it is already one of the best CPUs you can get on this machine for gaming, paired with the already best available GPU. So you're pretty much on the top specs of what the chassis can offer, apart from better RAM that will only give you minimal gains anyway. It will perform REALLY well for the next couple of years and fairly well for the next 1 or 2. After that, you're going to start feeling its age on newer games, but I think they're still going to be playable on medium settings. But it is what happens with most laptops anyway, and some cheaper options will not even last for 4 years, even at low settings.

There is a very remote possibility of the Nova supporting next-generation AMD CPUs (5000 series), but that is not confirmed and no one can guarantee that it is going to be available one day. It's just a guess and a hope for us.

Last edited:
Alright my dudes.
Thank you so much for all your advice, wisdom and legend. I am pretty much sold on buying the following. There is cash in the kitty for any additional "I would maybe swap out... for..." etc....

Otherwise...here she is.
As always, thank you x
Chassis & Display Nova Series: 15.6" Matte Full HD 144Hz 72% NTSC LED Widescreen (1920x1080)
Processor (CPU) AMD Ryzen 7 3700X Eight Core CPU (3.6GHz-4.4GHz/36MB CACHE/AM4)
1st M.2 SSD Drive 1TB SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 3500MB/R, 3300MB/W)
*I'm leaving 1st Storage 2.5" empty!
External DVD/BLU-RAY Drive 8x Slim USB 2.0 External DVD-RW *I dont mind axing this if it actually takes up space on the board that could better used? Have a plug in one already...
AC Adaptor
1 x 230W AC Adaptor
Power Cable
Battery
Thermal Paste
Sound Card
2 Channel High Def. Audio + SoundBlaster™ Cinema
Bluetooth & Wireless
GIGABIT LAN & WIRELESS INTEL® Wi-Fi 6 AX200 (2.4 Gbps) + BT 5.0
USB/Thunderbolt Options
1 x USB 3.2 PORT (Type C) + 2 x USB 3.2 PORTS + 1 x USB 2.0 PORT

FerrariVie

Super Star
Alright my dudes.
Thank you so much for all your advice, wisdom and legend. I am pretty much sold on buying the following. There is cash in the kitty for any additional "I would maybe swap out... for..." etc....

Otherwise...here she is.
As always, thank you x
Processor (CPU) AMD Ryzen 7 3700X Eight Core CPU (3.6GHz-4.4GHz/36MB CACHE/AM4)
1st M.2 SSD Drive 1TB SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 3500MB/R, 3300MB/W)
*I'm leaving 1st Storage 2.5" empty!
External DVD/BLU-RAY Drive 8x Slim USB 2.0 External DVD-RW *I dont mind axing this if it actually takes up space on the board that could better used? Have a plug in one already...
AC Adaptor
1 x 230W AC Adaptor
Power Cable
Battery
Thermal Paste
Sound Card
2 Channel High Def. Audio + SoundBlaster™ Cinema
Bluetooth & Wireless
GIGABIT LAN & WIRELESS INTEL® Wi-Fi 6 AX200 (2.4 Gbps) + BT 5.0
USB/Thunderbolt Options
1 x USB 3.2 PORT (Type C) + 2 x USB 3.2 PORTS + 1 x USB 2.0 PORT
Just only one last comment: Go for 2 memory modules (2x8Gb), as that will give you more performance for basically the same price. RAM memory works best in pairs, always ;)

Oh, and regarding the DVD, that choice is for an external DVD. There is no space in the chassis for a CD/DVD reader, as happens with most of (if not all) the recent laptops. So if you already have one, then not needed :)

Glad you decided for the Nova and really hope you're going to be happy with it! Hopefully it will arrive before Christmas! :D You'll receive updates regularly about the building process, it's really amazing. That was my timeline:

Production Dates
Processed Date21-08-2020
Build Date27-08-2020
Test Date27-08-2020
Awaiting Dispatch Date31-08-2020
Dispatch Date31-08-2020

And after that, it took 2-3 days to arrive in Ireland, so I found it really quick overall. Hope you have the same luck!

Last edited:
Just only one last comment: Go for 2 memory modules (2x8Gb), as that will give you more performance for basically the same price. RAM memory works best in pairs, always ;)

Oh, and regarding the DVD, that choice is for an external DVD. There is no space in the chassis for a CD/DVD reader, as happens with most of (if not all) the recent laptops. So if you already have one, then not needed :)

Glad you decided for the Nova and really hope you're going to be happy with it! Hopefully it will arrive before Christmas! :D You'll receive updates regularly about the building process, it's really amazing. That was my timeline:

Production Dates
Processed Date21-08-2020
Build Date27-08-2020
Test Date27-08-2020
Awaiting Dispatch Date31-08-2020
Dispatch Date31-08-2020

And after that, it took 2-3 days to arrive in Ireland, so I found it really quick overall. Hope you have the same luck!
I went and did it!
With your Memory note taken of course. Thank you so so much for all your help! A 12 day turnaround or even longer would be perfect tbh, I want to be sure I'm around to catch the delivery! :geek:
Will be in touch in a couple weeks to let yall know how I get on with her!

Happy Christmas!!!! 🥂😎🥳

Hi guys,
Just want to update you all on this since the window is closing on it and I'm pretty much bricking it here...

Shipping was delayed last week due to the chassis suddenly being out of stock. I was informed in the AM, not a word from PCS back to me all day, so rang up after work, waited for an hour to be told in fact, the chassis is back in stock and build should resume.
A few days later, the machine is confirmed to be ready for dispatch and out she went into the world.

It was due to arrive on Friday 18th - even I knew that that wouldnt be the case, as the hour drew nearer and the Fed Ex tracking location hadnt changed.

It is still STILL 5 days later in Ridgemont, Bedfordshire.
Or rather as the Fedex customer emails have informed me ; its in Dartford UK.
The app has not updated any of the info at all, and nobody else can tell me where the package is or whether its even accounted for.
Fedex have "escalated my enquiry"- which at this point is mind boggling enough ; surely the package should be where they say it is and in that instance, easy enough to inform me?

I am utterly terrified the machine is in the back of some warehouse, soon to be lost in transit entirely.
I have a feeling PCS would not be liable in that instance and could claim this entire thing is all an "act of god" and therefore no compensation for myself and then not a leg to stand on.
I may well be presuming the worst entirely, but hello? 2020?

Well aware of the chaos ensuing in the UK with so many folk trapped and haulage literally ground to a halt. And my heart is positively broken for the upheaval unfolding and the fear that everyone must be feeling over there. Its a much bigger issue than my computer.

Does anyone have any advice or insight OR experience???

Its worth 1800 quid. I dont know about all a y'all but I cant afford to lose a machine worth that and am positively bricking myself.
Trying to get an answer from ANYBODY that doesn't send me back to someone else is like trying to get a cat in a bath.

Forgive the 1st world white woman problems here....but any and all help or wisdom is valued and needed tbh...

Bhuna50

Author Level
If the item is lost in the post / by FedEx the liability still lies with PCS / FedEx not with you.

It would be PCSs responsibility to claim from FedEx and you would still get another laptop / refund from PCS.

HOWEVER, saying that, at this time of year it will be a slightly longer period of time waiting for it to be officially classed as ‘lost in transit’ causing a slight delay in your expected outcome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok.
Of that, I wasnt sure.
In these instances, it feels like companies are trying to protect themselves as much as any consumer and given whats going on with UK postage right now, I would understand that being the case.

I dont mind at all if it arrives 2 months later than estimated.
Its more a safeguard against it not arriving at all. 😲😵

Thank you for your input @andjef796 <3

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
If FedEx lost it or destroyed it then PCS will replace it. I don't work for them of course, I just know that's what they'll do. :)