A most heinous crime - not!

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Sky News online this morning carried a report about crimes that are committed at weddings. As one might expect, many of these are the result of arguments and fights but there was one particularly heinous crime that caught my attention...

North Wales Police said a person reported that their wedding photograph had appeared on a social media platform and had attracted 244 negative comments.

What a sad example of the current obsession with social media 'likes' that someone genuinely thinks that 244 negative comments of a wedding photograph is a crime worthy of reporting to the police. Who are these people and in what world do they live? :rolleyes:

https://news.sky.com/story/mass-bra...rimes-reported-at-weddings-across-uk-12302884

NoddyPirate

Grand Master
Sky News online this morning carried a report about crimes that are committed at weddings. As one might expect, many of these are the result of arguments and fights but there was one particularly heinous crime that caught my attention...

What a sad example of the current obsession with social media 'likes' that someone genuinely thinks that 244 negative comments of a wedding photograph is a crime worthy of reporting to the police. Who are these people and in what world do they live? :rolleyes:

https://news.sky.com/story/mass-bra...rimes-reported-at-weddings-across-uk-12302884
Honestly, I think social media is a scourge on society. It seems that modern humans simply are training themsleves to believe that their self-worth is directly linked to the number of comments and likes they receive. I really worry about the world my kids are growing up in.

All that seems to matter is that other random people find one's position to be valid and sound.

Who's agrees with me? :unsure: (I'll launch a poll shortly if it helps. :D )

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR

I hope they were publicly shamed for wasting police time...............all over facebook, twitter etc

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Honestly, I think social media is a scourge on society. It seems that modern humans simply are training themsleves to believe that their self-worth is directly linked to the number of comments and likes they receive. I really worry about the world my kids are growing up in.

All that seems to matter is that other random people find one's position to be valid and sound.

I completely agree. It's very important for your mental health if nothing else, to be comfortable in your own skin. Your sense of self-worth should come from within yourself, from knowing your strengths and weaknesses and from appreciating your faults. A sense of self-worth cannot ever come from outside IMO. All the 'likes' in the world may give you a nice warm feeling inside but they don't help you find out who you are, and knowing who you are is fundamental to your well being - and your career.

I know the song 'The Ugly Duckling' isn't considered 'PC' these days because its message is that one's value is based on how one looks and how one is perceived by others. Yet that is exactly what social media 'likes' are doing - if you don't get 'enough' likes you're an 'ugly ducking' and have no value. That's where this ridiculous complaint about 244 negative comments comes from - it's the The Ugly Ducking in real life - everyone thinks they should be a swan!

D

Deleted member 41971

I feel social media is just breeding complete narcissists, it seems people only want positive comments and likes on any given platform, problem with that is if everything is "good" then that makes people believe they are perfect and wonderful in every way, this must in turn mess with people's minds. They also don't seem to understand for example FB monetizes everything an individual posts, that makes very few individuals billions and billions of dollars from content produced freely by people via advertising.

It also makes me shake my head when you see for example footballers say how miserable they feel being on social media, well if its making you miserable I suggest not being on it. Social media has addicted people and its sad when its called "offical lines of communication" when it was only setup for entertainment purposes, once politicians start taking ideas from it you know things have gone downhill.

I also heard somewhere a while ago stores in the US are using mobile phone data and advertising to place certain products at certain times in the store to attract a specific demographic, for example, say according to mobile phone data an age range of 20-35 yr olds are coming into the store at 1-5pm mon - sun, the store would then place say video games at the front of the store to attract that age group into spending. that's scary.

NoddyPirate

Grand Master
I completely agree. It's very important for your mental health if nothing else, to be comfortable in your own skin. Your sense of self-worth should come from within yourself, from knowing your strengths and weaknesses and from appreciating your faults. A sense of self-worth cannot ever come from outside IMO. All the 'likes' in the world may give you a nice warm feeling inside but they don't help you find out who you are, and knowing who you are is fundamental to your well being - and your career.

I know the song 'The Ugly Duckling' isn't considered 'PC' these days because its message is that one's value is based on how one looks and how one is perceived by others. Yet that is exactly what social media 'likes' are doing - if you don't get 'enough' likes you're an 'ugly ducking' and have no value. That's where this ridiculous complaint about 244 negative comments comes from - it's the The Ugly Ducking in real life - everyone thinks they should be a swan!
Quack quack!! All agreed....

I have a few friends who post every single aspect of their existence on social media. I really worry that they might believe that other people care about the minutae of their lives. It's a desperately unhealthy misapprehension to be under.

I think I mentioned here before that I am much more of a traditionalist:

I don't take pictures, I am actually bring my dinner to my neighbours, ring the doorbell, show them my plate and then walk away.

And my favourite of all - the comment bait - I sometimes ring my friends on the phone and when they answer I shout "Oh my GOD! I can't believe it!" - and then I hang up and wait for them to call me back.

D

Deleted member 41971

What a sad example of the current obsession with social media 'likes' that someone genuinely thinks that 244 negative comments of a wedding photograph is a crime worthy of reporting to the police

"hello yes, I would like to report a crime, my wedding received 244 negative reviews on social media, yes, why are you laughing? I don't understand the laughter"

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
It also makes me shake my head when you see for example footballers say how miserable they feel being on social media, well if its making you miserable I suggest not being on it. Social media has addicted people and its sad when its called "offical lines of communication" when it was only setup for entertainment purposes, once politicians start taking ideas from it you know things have gone downhill.
The other day on facebook a friend posted a MeMe which said apart from drugs and alcohol name an addiction.........

My reply was SOCIAL MEDIA

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
The sad thing is that social media does have a great many advantages. My wife has been an avid Facebook user for many years and it's helped her reconnect with people she went to school with. It also means that with us living in Crete she can stay in close contact with friends and former work colleagues back in the UK. But at 60+ she's long past the age where she needs the approval of her peers to feel good about herself.

One thing we always laugh at here is the way young people, locals and tourists alike, will sit down in a group at a taverna table and all get their phones out. We often see tables of four or six youngsters all buried in their phones whilst they wait for their food to come. Even fairly young couples who are clearly on a date will sit glued to their phones instead of talking to one another!

D

Deleted member 41971

The sad thing is that social media does have a great many advantages. My wife has been an avid Facebook user for many years and it's helped her reconnect with people she went to school with. It also means that with us living in Crete she can stay in close contact with friends and former work colleagues back in the UK. But at 60+ she's long past the age where she needs the approval of her peers to feel good about herself.

One thing we always laugh at here is the way young people, locals and tourists alike, will sit down in a group at a taverna table and all get their phones out. We often see tables of four or six youngsters all buried in their phones whilst they wait for their food to come. Even fairly young couples who are clearly on a date will sit glued to their phones instead of talking to one another!

Phone Addict GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

Citrus_9

Expert

Happily married but utterly outraged Mr and Mrs Morons ;)