A PS4 level gaming PC specs

Pranny

Just out of interest does anyone here who's got a PS4 and/or knows about their hardware and performance have any idea what components a desktop PC would have to have in order to run the latest games at the same level of detail and framerate as a PS4, bearing in mind a console's OS is hardware based and a PC's software based of course?

Cheers folks.

DeadEyeDuk

Superhero Level Poster
I'm thinking something along these lines (sorry don't have specs, the papyrus they were recorded on got a bit wet)

scan0023.jpg

Childish jab at consoles? Why yes :)

LFFPicard

Godlike
Just out of interest does anyone here who's got a PS4 and/or knows about their hardware and performance have any idea what components a desktop PC would have to have in order to run the latest games at the same level of detail and framerate as a PS4, bearing in mind a console's OS is hardware based and a PC's software based of course?

Cheers folks.

Due to the way the hardware is manufactured for consoles it will be hard to get a decent comparison. You may find a computer will be more expensive mainly due to the fact you can't usually just plug it into a tv and away you go. Maybe looking at around 500-600 without peripherals.

halox

Enthusiast
I did look it up in the past but have forgot. It is lower than your average gaming PC. Compares with one of these babies.

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
Well normally I don't like to inject too much reality into threads like these but I do find them funny.

But on this occasion I will make an exception. The following is based on what I could find/work out at launch to might be a bit out dated now but its roughly right.

The CPU is alright, I think its an 8 core from AMD but clocked at less than 2Ghz so you can probably say its somewhere around the same as a 6 core AMD desktop chip. The GPU was what really shocked me, its somewhere in line with a 7850 in terms of raw performance and only a small jump from the PS3 if I remember rightly. Slap in 8GB RAM and you have the makings of a PS4

Some games still aren't going to play at 1080p 60fps from what I have seen. No excuses for buying a PS4 to be honest the 'next gen' consoles are more of an exercise in parting people with money than a genuine performance jump.

So you could (roughly) re create a PS4 with an i3/ fx-4100 - cheap motherboard - 8Gb RAM and a 750ti/r9 270.

Now you could go out and buy 2nd hand parts for probably the same price as a PS4 and get the experience if you wanted to. You could pick up a GTX 560ti, a phenom II chip and a motherboard for sub £200 delivered. Not even sure what a PS4 retails at but I think you would be able to fit in a case, RAM etc within the budget if all you seriously wanted was to match the performance but get the benefit of PC games being cheaper.

Boozad

Prolific Poster
The CPU is alright, I think its an 8 core from AMD but clocked at less than 2Ghz so you can probably say its somewhere around the same as a 6 core AMD desktop chip. The GPU was what really shocked me, its somewhere in line with a 7850 in terms of raw performance and only a small jump from the PS3 if I remember rightly. Slap in 8GB RAM and you have the makings of a PS4.

That's pretty much it. What's even more shocking is the Xbone's GPU is about the same as a 7770. Next gen consoles, doing what was done a long time ago.

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
That's pretty much it. What's even more shocking is the Xbone's GPU is about the same as a 7770. Next gen consoles, doing what was done a long time ago.

Yeah I saw the Xbox was even worse, didn't realise it was in line with a 7770 but yeah, not really surprised. Is the draw of console exclusive games alone really enough for people to buy a next gen console? Sure as hell nobody is buying on pure gaming performance...

Spuff

Expert
bearing in mind a console's OS is hardware based and a PC's software based of course?

Both are software running on hardware.

Is the draw of console exclusive games alone really enough for people to buy a next gen console? Sure as hell nobody is buying on pure gaming performance...

I think the draws (of a PS4) are:
Cheaper system (I balked at potentially paying more for a single component in a PC, the GPU, than you can buy a PS4 for)
No faffing about, you'll get something completely ready to go without having to make any decisions
Easier to play games from your most comfortable lounging position
You can freely sell games and buy second hand games, making gaming virtually free (I went through 7 years of PS3 and probably had a net expenditure of about £70)
If you enjoyed your PS3, a PS4 allows you to carry on that route now the PS3 games will stop and with a better performing machine.

But if you have a good gaming PC then there is little attraction.

Last edited:

steaky360

I find it exceptionally easy to play games in my living room on my PC. It's easier than ever now Steam is letting you 'stream' games from your main gaming rig to a satellite rig in your home (also, 'steam boxes' are pretty cheap to get comparable performance to a PS4).

Spuff

Expert
I find it exceptionally easy to play games in my living room on my PC. It's easier than ever now Steam is letting you 'stream' games from your main gaming rig to a satellite rig in your home.

Yes, I play PC games on my main TV (which makes games look great) using my PS3 controller (that is still going strong after 7 years of being used almost every day) in my comfort lounging at max settings position. DVI output to my montior, HDMI output to my TV, duplicate image. Simples. But if you live with other people it would not be possible to game whenever you like doing exactly that.
Some of those Steam Boxes will be talked about as the point in the Steam Box range you'll get equivalent performance to the consoles, as echoed by this thread. However, do consider that to be comfortably better than consoles you do have to spend more, the extra money for a lot of people is not easy.
I wouldn't want to scrabble around for cheapo second hand components to make a cheap self-built console-matching PC at the same price. My feeling would be I may as well get a PS4 and have a more elegant machine. (you can buy a new PS4 system for £350)

I must wave the PC flag though and say you've been able to get the 'next gen' experience on a PC for some time, and a PC can easily outstrip the new consoles.

Last edited:

Pranny

Apologies for the late response and thanks for the feedback guys. Whilst I was struggling to save for a new desktop PC to replace a laptop which I've had for nearly 4 years now I considered resorting to getting a PS4 although I prefer PC gaming with a mouse and keyboard rather than a controller. I resisted the temptation though because I wouldn't want a console that's superior for gaming to my new PC which I knew I'd have to set myself a limit for at about £800. As my knowledge of computers and gaming is probably at least a few years behind I assumed a PC equivalent to a PS4 for gaming would cost at least double because a PC is a jack of all trades as it were. From what's been said though the PC I've got on order from here is actually gonna be superior when I was expecting it to be inferior and needing upgrades when I can afford them. The reason I'm using the PS4 as a benchmark is because I've got a PS3 and had a PS2 and a PS1 before that, plus I sometimes watch this channel on Virgin called Ginx TV (286) and have been very impressed by what I've seen of it so far.

Nice to know that a PC can quite easily out-perform the latest consoles albeit at a higher price which is justified by all the other things a proper computer can do that a console can't of course. So yeah, PCs all the way basically. Cheers. :)

keynes

Multiverse Poster
I wouldn't want a console that's superior for gaming to my new PC which I knew I'd have to set myself a limit for at about £800.
For £800 you should get a pc that is significantly better than a console. Is that including a monitor?

Pranny

No that's just for the actual PC and I ended up spending £877. :) I'd already bought a 1920x1080 monitor and a seperate keyboard in anticipation a while ago. The specs for the PC I'm getting are very basically the fastest of the i5 CPUs, a 1 gig nVidia 640GT, 8 gigs of RAM and a 1TB HDD etc. Maybe lacking with the graphics card?

keynes

Multiverse Poster
£877? did you just place your order? If it just for gaming I would have chosen the FX-6300 with the R9-280x. The gpu you have chosen is not for gaming.

Pranny

It's not just for gaming no. That amounts to about 10% of what I use my computer for. Other things include 3D art and music production. The GPU is most certainly the first thing I'll be upgrading though and I can more easily come up with the amount that'll cost than save for an entire PC if you know what I mean (savings tend to get dipped into). Nice one Keynes.