A stupid question maybe about mice and keyboards

Roberttonkiss874

Silver Level Poster
I realise this may seem like a stupid question but I moved over to a wireless keyboard and mouse several years ago for my existing computer, but have noticed there are no wireless gaming keyboards or mice is there a reason for this and is it better to use a usb keyboard and mouse in general.

steaky360

Its a question of latency and potential convenience.

Generally "gaming keyboards" have flashy lights and RGB which will drain batteries quicker, meaning more recharges so potentially a reason why, there might be something in the # key rollover maximums transmitted via a wireless connection but I've never checked. There is also potential latency with mice (possibly keyboards too) but in my opinion, unless you're a top level competitive gamer you wouldn't notice.

There certainly are wireless gaming keyboards and mice available.

Ultimately, my advice would be to get a mouse/keyboard you look the look and (in my opinion more importantly) feel of and you'll have a good time.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I realise this may seem like a stupid question but I moved over to a wireless keyboard and mouse several years ago for my existing computer, but have noticed there are no wireless gaming keyboards or mice is there a reason for this and is it better to use a usb keyboard and mouse in general.
Wireless technology has moved on a great deal in the last couple of years. They've now managed to produce some very effective wireless gaming mice which have actually been tested by 3rd party reviewers and proven to be operating at roughly 1ms which is what a USB keyboard would operate at also.

So there are mice out there. Various models from SteelSeries, Logitech, Razer, HyperX, Corsair etc etc. They generally are quite expensive.

Until not that long ago, most wireless mice had to be charged in a cradle, which meant you couldn't use them while they were charging. This was ok for some, but for gamers doing long sessions or competitive matches, it was a huge no no. Nowadays though, most wiress mice will allow you to attach a USB charging cable and continue using the mouse, it effectively turns it into a normal USB wired mouse while charging, so they're much much better in that regard also.

Also worth noting, there are even Mice that have wireless charging through a custom Mouse Mat, so they're wireless and always remain charged. Obviously price is a premium, but they perform well. A couple of models are the Logitech G Powerplay and the Asus ROG Balteus, the Corsair MM1000 Qi.

We're still not really there for keyboards though. I have no idea why other than low demand currently as the keyboard doesn't really need to be so portable. I for one though, would love to do away with all wires, they just clutter up the PC area. The back of my PC looks horrible:

too-many-wires.jpg

If you want some really in depth reviews of gaming mice (including wireless) check out Hardware Canucks on YouTube, they're competitive fraggers and really thoroughly test loads of mice:

Last edited:

Roberttonkiss874

Silver Level Poster
Lol, it’s the spaghetti junction scenario that prompted my question and why I went to a wireless keyboard and mouse several years ago, and whilst the new desktop will be used for gaming I won’t be needing anything mouse/keyboard wise that is of a competitive level, just reliable and sturdy. As I‘ve said I went to a wireless keyboard/mouse set a while ago primarily to avoid what I used to term cable tangle with the mouse and keyboard and as you have said any other equipment on the computer desk, I.e table lamps, phone bases etc... thank god the printer is now wireless and doesn’t have to be on the desk. I was asking because I’m going to need to replace the current Keyboard and mouse and was asking in case there might be an overriding reason to go with a wired set this time

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Lol, it’s the spaghetti junction scenario that prompted my question and why I went to a wireless keyboard and mouse several years ago, and whilst the new desktop will be used for gaming I won’t be needing anything mouse/keyboard wise that is of a competitive level, just reliable and sturdy. As I‘ve said I went to a wireless keyboard/mouse set a while ago primarily to avoid what I used to term cable tangle with the mouse and keyboard and as you have said any other equipment on the computer desk, I.e table lamps, phone bases etc... thank god the printer is now wireless and doesn’t have to be on the desk.
Wires are the bane of my life 🤪