Aaarggghhh (my desktop won't switch on)

smallkube

Silver Level Poster
Hi there,

Just got home and went to switch on my pc and it's completely unresponsive. The only thing I've done since it worked yesterday was switch off the PSU (in the hopes of saving power during the day). Switched it back on but the front switch is doing nothing. The RGB's are on so there is power.

I've had a little look inside to see if anything looked obviously loose but nothing I could see. No worked out how to get to the switch itself yet. Any help, thoughts or prayers would be appreciated.

Specs are:
Case
FRACTAL DEFINE R5 BLACK QUIET MID-TOWER CASE
Overclocked CPU
Overclocked Intel® Core™ i7-8700K Six Core (3.7GHz @ up to 4.8GHz)
Motherboard
ASUS® ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING: ATX, LGA1151, USB 3.1, SATA 6GBs, WIFI - RGB Ready
Memory (RAM)
16GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3200MHz (2 x 8GB)
Graphics Card
11GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1080 Ti - HDMI, 3x DP GeForce - GTX VR Ready!
1st M.2 SSD Drive
1TB SAMSUNG SM961 M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 3200MB/R, 1800MB/W)
1st Storage Drive
1TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA SATA-III 3.5" HDD, 6GB/s, 7200RPM, 64MB CACHE
Memory Card Reader
USB 3.0 EXTERNAL SD/MICRO SD CARD READER
Power Supply
CORSAIR 850W RMx SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Power Cable
1 x 1.5 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor Cooling
Noctua NH-U14S Ultra Quiet Performance CPU Cooler
Thermal Paste
EK-TIM ECTOTHERM THERMAL COMPOUND
Sound Card
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
USB/Thunderbolt Options
MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS

smallkube

Silver Level Poster
I'm just googling how to open the front panel to access the switch. I can't see anything disconnected in the main cabinet space. In all honesty, I'm not that tech savvy.

Attachments

• IMG-20220401-WA0001.jpg
    IMG-20220401-WA0001.jpg
    243 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG-20220401-WA0002.jpg
    IMG-20220401-WA0002.jpg
    259.7 KB · Views: 95

B4zookaw

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Could be the case switch has failed, or loose connection from it to the motherboard header.
Check that all the cables on bottom right of mother board are fully connected to the header:
1648841280448.png

You can try jumping the power connectors by placing a screwdriver across the two PWRSW terminals.
I presume you've confirmed monitor is working ok, and it's not a case of the system working fine but no display output?

smallkube

Silver Level Poster
Thanks for that. I will dive back in and do the cabling checks.
Literally nothing happens, no lights, no noise. If it wasn't for the rgb and motherboard power light, it would be completely dead looking.
Could be the case switch has failed, or loose connection from it to the motherboard header.
Check that all the cables on bottom right of mother board are fully connected to the header:
View attachment 32999

You can try jumping the power connectors by placing a screwdriver across the two PWRSW terminals.
I presume you've confirmed monitor is working ok, and it's not a case of the system working fine but no display output?
Well, I had a go at that. All the connectors seemed well seated and the screwdriver trick didn't seem to have any effect either. I'm starting to think it might have given up the ghost.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Thanks for that. I will dive back in and do the cabling checks.
Literally nothing happens, no lights, no noise. If it wasn't for the rgb and motherboard power light, it would be completely dead looking.

Well, I had a go at that. All the connectors seemed well seated and the screwdriver trick didn't seem to have any effect either. I'm starting to think it might have given up the ghost.
Is it plugged into a surge protector?

smallkube

Silver Level Poster
Noted. I will pick one up. PC was powered down before turning it off and the TV that is plugged into the same extension is fine.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Noted. I will pick one up. PC was powered down before turning it off and the TV that is plugged into the same extension is fine.
Damn, was hoping the fuse on the extension may have gone.

RMA it is then unfortunately. Do get a surge protector, even a basic one from Sainsburys will do the trick, they're so worth it.

smallkube

Silver Level Poster
So, just in case this helps anyone else, an IT guy at work suggested resetting the CMOS. I did this following instructions from Asus and my PC now starts up.

However, the USB ports (front and rear) are dead so i'm having to connect my mouse and keyboard through the usbc using a multi adapter.
Everything else seems fine.

I had to go to bed eventually last night but I'm going to continue trying to ressurect the USBs this evening. I didn't get very far with bios settings and drivers so i'm going to try uninstalling and reinstalling from device manager. Any other suggestions would be welcome. Thanks.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
TBH that doesn't really make sense. It sounds more like something is loose and triggered by coincidence when in sorting out the CMOS. The fact that the USB isn't working would back this up.

I definitely think it warrants investigation of the wiring/connections etc.

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
TBH that doesn't really make sense. It sounds more like something is loose and triggered by coincidence when in sorting out the CMOS. The fact that the USB isn't working would back this up.

I definitely think it warrants investigation of the wiring/connections etc.
Yeah, sounds as though you disturbed something while playing with the CMOS, all the USB connectors etc, and the main motherboard connector are round that area