Aaron Hibell

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Last edited:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I’ve been following this guy since finding that track above. He’s still unsigned, but just got sponsored to do a livestream from a beautiful cathedral in Iceland.

He did a live DJ set outside the church as the sun set, and then did a separate set inside the church with a String quartet.

Remember, he’s still unsigned, he played his first DJ set in a club in Germany 3 months ago, he’s simply a bedroom producer up until then! The guys who sponsored this live stream are Selected Sessions, not heard of them before but I’m hoping they’re big enough that some labels will sit up and listen.

This guy deserves to be huge!

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I’ve just had a look, and Selected are actually a label as well as being a promotional company.

Now, I don’t know if that means Aaron is in the process of being signed, but I’m really hoping so!

HomerJ

Prolific Poster
I’ve just had a look, and Selected are actually a label as well as being a promotional company.

Now, I don’t know if that means Aaron is in the process of being signed, but I’m really hoping so!
question for vinyl tracks, what are your thoughts if say a musician is signed are they in danger of losing their originality as opposed to being independent?

Last edited:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
question for vinyl tracks, do you think if a musician is signed they could be in danger of losing their originality as opposed to being independent?
It's definitely a possibility, totally depends on the label they sign with i guess, but there are definitely some labels that will put stupid targets like they have to produce 4 albums in the first 5 years and do however many live shows, that's not at all conducive to the creative process.

There are a lot of newer labels though like Anjuna, This Never Happened, Mau5trap, diviine, they’ve all quite recently been set up by djs that have made it big exactly because they got so fed up with the big labels, they’re far more geared to the welfare of the artist than revenue. They don’t put out albums as regularly and make most of the income through live shows, but because there’s less pressure, the albums that do come out are far higher quality because the artists are so much happier. You could definitely say TNH have a sound, and Mau5trap too I guess.

I just hope Aaron doesn’t leap into anything too quickly, he’s a rare gem, and the thing I love so much is he’s so varied, but has literally come out of nowhere, it would be so easy to be swayed by what seemed like a huge lump payment when the long term deal is actually less than favourable. But he’s got an Agent, so hopefully he’s getting sound advice.

HomerJ

Prolific Poster
There are a lot of newer labels though like Anjuna, This Never Happened, Mau5trap, diviine, they’ve all quite recently been set up by djs that have made it big exactly because they got so fed up with the big labels, they’re far more geared to the welfare of the artist than revenue.

liking the sound of that (y)

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
liking the sound of that (y)
Labels like Armada are the ones that just sold out. Armin van Buuren was a god, but Armada just went for the populist route which basically meant really generic euro trash. Such a travesty. They’ve started reissuing load of the old classics for the first time since they were released, that’s about all they’re good for now. Tiestos Musical Freedom label is exactly the same.

HomerJ

Prolific Poster
Labels like Armada are the ones that just sold out. Armin van Buuren was a god, but Armada just went for the populist route which basically meant really generic euro trash. Such a travesty. They’ve started reissuing load of the old classics for the first time since they were released, that’s about all they’re good for now. Tiestos Musical Freedom label is exactly the same.

i prefer music with care not music by numbers (y)