Aberdeen Broadband Sucks, why ??

FreakyOmen

Hello everyone, I just wondering why in aberdeen internet(broadband) connection's are slow, they don't have fibre optic's here or what is the problem, i know in england they have up to 50 mb/s speed's in aberdeen maximum is 10mb/s i have 10mb/s from o2 (down is max 700-800 kb/s) and i was searching all kind of provider's from bt ending in virgin etc, so my question is to people who live in UK all life why is that, i'm from poland, in my city (gdynia) we have really nice one it is calles UPC Broadband and it is Cable internet, similar to the tv cable connected to the router but about 25 mb/s nd the better one is 120 mb/s and it is fibre optic connection, so small country like poland have really nice speed's but big and rich country like united kingdom got only 50 mb/s and only in englad area, so im wondering if this is politic's or the lazyness of goverment ? Please say if im wrong or no ? Thanks in advance. :cool:

Again sorry for my language, im learning lol

Sleinous

Author Level
I get 700kbs down too. Imo i dont need much faster. What i need is more upstream, current is 448kbps

Gorman

Author Level
Hello everyone, I just wondering why in aberdeen internet(broadband) connection's are slow, they don't have fibre optic's here or what is the problem, i know in england they have up to 50 mb/s speed's in aberdeen maximum is 10mb/s i have 10mb/s from o2 (down is max 700-800 kb/s) and i was searching all kind of provider's from bt ending in virgin etc, so my question is to people who live in UK all life why is that, i'm from poland, in my city (gdynia) we have really nice one it is calles UPC Broadband and it is Cable internet, similar to the tv cable connected to the router but about 25 mb/s nd the better one is 120 mb/s and it is fibre optic connection, so small country like poland have really nice speed's but big and rich country like united kingdom got only 50 mb/s and only in englad area, so im wondering if this is politic's or the lazyness of goverment ? Please say if im wrong or no ? Thanks in advance. :cool:

Again sorry for my language, im learning lol

UK = 244820 Sq KM
Poland = 312680 Sq KM

Small country like Poland? hmm :p

Many reasons, not least your in Aberdeen. Im originally from Shetland, i bet they are still on dial up.

Maybe its an infrastructure thing, im going to presume that during the last 10-15 years Poland has been through a lot of changes and had some pretty major upgrades in infrastructure.

In the UK we seem to be in the habbit of running our telephone exchanges through 1930's cabling and just adding on different technologies as they arrive.

Sleinous

Author Level
Youre getting about 4-5mbps downstream. Thats way more than some in UK still get. Check out the broadband post somewhere on here. I get pretty much same speed as you now that ive installed the iPlate.

Shibin

Enthusiast
iPlate?.....anyway sorry to wake up and old thread but i like to boast,and i got loads of time to search old threads :D. My download is 2300kbs and upload is 740kbps. I love my internet and like slienous only thing i would like better is maybe the upload.

Sleinous

Author Level
Yes the iplate acts like plugging your microfilter straight into the test socket, but instead you can plug it in the regular master socket bit, and not in the test bit located under a little plastic thingy.

Basically disables the old analog ring in telephones, which caused quite a bit of interference on Broadband.

My d/l speed went from 150-200kb/sup to 1mb/s then back down to a respectable 700kb/s

Sweeney47

BB in the UK sucks because BT is too busy paying themselves bonuses rather than investing in the infrastructure and/or delivering the best service available... I've said it before but ill say it again. New house (therefore new phone lines) I live 700 Meters from the exchange and yet my phone line is 4300 Meters long because they're cost cutting. There is a bridge at the back of my house which goes more or less straight to the exchange yet they tacked my line onto the existing lines in the area which essentially goes all the way around the town then cuts back into the middle.

As Gorman said, they're just adding things on rather than taking it all down and building it properly. Probably going to cost them more in the long term.

Just to point out on the Iplate, its not a miracle thing and I doubt it was the sole cause for your speed increase. As for seeing 1MB/s thats weird because with a 448Up you must be on an 8Mbps connection :eek: and with BT's infrastructure it normally would take weeks to see that sort of improvement, how quick did it happen? I know they claim about 2 weeks but thats based on a 1.5Mbps increase. The Iplate only works for a set circumstance and will not boost your broadband speed if like me your phone line is long. Also if you dont have the bell wire(?) which is what causes the interferance its unlikely to have any affect at all but I guess its worth it for some people.

Sleinous

Author Level
I do have the bellwire, and, the old style master socket. Im not kidding you, downstreM was 1500kbps sih, now its 6400-6600kbps. All this happened in no more than 12 hrs of instLling the iplate, no other changes were mAde. The 1mb/s didnt last long, maybe during 1 - 2 downloads, following morning exchange had decreased us to the 700kbs i get now, i must admit its more stable that way, as when i got 1mbs it wasnt as fixed, went down to 150kbs up to 500kbs up to 1mbs for a minute then down and so on, now i get a constant 700 :) Deffinatly the work of the iplate, which, is basically like plugging router straight into test socket.

Most new homes have it builtin now anyway so for them it would be useless, but for me, it was a real success story

Sweeney47

the weird thing is with BT's infrastructure it takes about 3 days of solid connectivity to get an increase in IP profile of which it only goes up in small increments while the exchange tests speed vs stability. Which is why as a disclaimer they say it can take 2 weeks to see an improvement...

Seems to me that there was something more than the bell wire causing issues, which was fixed when you installed the iplate, maybe a wire lose or something I dont know but as I say 3 days is the normal period to see any increase, yet alone 12 hours. Did your router resync to get the 1MB/s or did it just increase in speed?

Sleinous

Author Level
Didnt even resink, but, the following day when it dropped by half, i reset it and thats when i got 700kbs.

Here's the fun part: Week later BT start throttling me bk slyly lol. I phone up, request an ip profile reset, and im back in business :D