Adding more RAM

Rakk

The Awesome
So I'm thinking about getting some extra RAM for my machine (I'll explain why further down).
Currently I have 2x4GB of Kingston HyperX Genesis 1600MHz RAM (which claims to be 9-9-9-27, possibly running at 1.65V), so I want to know what other memory will work alongside it.
A lot of 1600MHZ RAM claims to be 9-9-9-24 (or 10-10-10-30) running at 1.5V, would it work fine with what I already have - do I need to even worry about this?

Main reason for adding an extra 4GB:
I think my RAM needs RMA'ing (need to chat to the PCS guys again), but since PCS don't stock it anymore, I'd have to send it back to PCS, they'd have to send it back to Kingston, Kingston would have to do whatever they do with it, and then it (mended, new or refurbished) would be sent back to PCS then back to me - leaving me without a working PC for at least a week (possibly longer) which is just not an option - consequently I need some RAM for that period in time, but I'd like it to work well with the rest of the RAM when I get my old RAM back so that I'm not just buying RAM for one week or so of usage.

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
From my experience modern boards are great at making RAM just work. So long as you run the same memory pairs in the same channels the motherboard just operates at the speed of the slowest pairing. The difference in 999-27 vs 99924 is litteraly nothing, so the new sticks will run at 9-9-9-27 instead of the 'rated' speed of 9-9-9-24.

in short pretty much any 1600Mhz stuff will do just fine, your mobo will sort the rest out. if not just manually adjust the timings to be the same for all sticks in the BIOS.

Though you can probably pick up some hyperx somewhere online if you really wanted to have a 100% trouble free upgrade.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
I have been looking at getting the same hyperx modules as an upgrade to my own machine, with 8GB barely being enough for what I need these days. However the HyperX Genesis, last time I checked had risen in value to £100 for a 2x4GB set. The prices do seem to have dropped to around £50 on Kikatek who I believe have a good reputation although can't vouch for them personally. They do sell through Amazon and ebay too but at higher prices.

Rakk

The Awesome
Thanks guys, and yeah unfortunately as Wozza said the Genesis RAM does not seem to be cheap.
Think I'll just go for this: http://uk.crucial.com/gbr/en/z87-k/CT5678624, hopefully it'll all play happily together, yes I know it means it won't be paired since its one extra 4GB stick (rather than two), but I don't really need more than an extra 4 GB and I don't think it should really make too much difference anyways - unless I'm wrong (quite possible)

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
Don't really know how well a single additional stick would work. I would assume fine. The Kikatek price is pretty good though and I'm tempted to get it while its at that price.

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
A single stick will play just fine, the motherboard will (probably) just run everything in single channel meaning a theoretical hit in performance but realistically you wont notice.