Admit it, you bought the 3090 because the 3080 wait times were too much for you

bleakcon

So I have been trying for a while to justify my purchase of the RTX 3090 as my graphics card in my new build that is in pre-prod right now.

"Oh well it is going to play games so much better" - Not really unless under very extreme circumstances (perhaps 9 or so fps more lol)

"Oh I am future proofin...." - NO

"Ahh crap I bought it to avoid waiting months for the 3080" - Bingo.

I can't find any other logical reason why anyone outside of rendering would find the 3090 to be a gaming card - sure it is 'better' than the 3080 side by side but is it worth the expense? Not even slightly on those merits alone.

I was tempted to move to the AMD card that is somewhat inbetween the 3080 and 3090 but just wasn't sure if I wanted to go full AMD considering every build previously for me was intel + nvidia; i don't know though did anyone decide to give the "speedster merc 319 rx 6900 xt" a chance ?
On the subject has anyone purchased a build with a 24GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 3090, what was your wait time.

In all seriousness though I hope the next time I am looking to buy a completely new computer this doesn't enter into my decision making.

TomBerry

Bright Spark
Next time you're purchasing a PC there hopefully won't be a worldwide shortage :p I reckon if everything was normal right now we wouldn't be struggling for cards, maybe even get built faster as not everyone would be working from home.
I've gone with the 3090 today so I can switch to the 3080Ti once released soon :)

bleakcon

Next time you're purchasing a PC there hopefully won't be a worldwide shortage :p I reckon if everything was normal right now we wouldn't be struggling for cards, maybe even get built faster as not everyone would be working from home.
I've gone with the 3090 today so I can switch to the 3080Ti once released soon :)
What with the intention of changing the order?

TomBerry

Bright Spark
What with the intention of changing the order?
Absolutely! Launch day just switch it over to the 3080Ti and also get a refund/credit note, not sure how it works exactly. I don't need the full power of the 3090 as I'm not doing any extreme rendering that the 3090's needed for

bleakcon

Absolutely! Launch day just switch it over to the 3080Ti and also get a refund/credit note, not sure how it works exactly. I don't need the full power of the 3090 as I'm not doing any extreme rendering that the 3090's needed for

Yeah true, if that works out sounds sensible, presuming you don't get your order completed before the 3080ti is out

TomBerry

Bright Spark
Yeah true, if that works out sounds sensible, presuming you don't get your order completed before the 3080ti is out
Hopefully if the 4-6 week wait time is correct what they gave me I should be able to switch it just in time. If not then, hey, it's a 3090 😅

out of all the 30 series, which would you say has the longest wait time? 3060?
I'd definitely say the ASUS ROG STRIX version of the 3080

bleakcon

Hopefully if the 4-6 week wait time is correct what they gave me I should be able to switch it just in time. If not then, hey, it's a 3090 😅

I'd definitely say the ASUS ROG STRIX version of the 3080
Yeah fair enough, i really considered giving AMD another shot but once again drivers seem to be where they suck.

Would concur on your choice of longest wait.

It's all madness........So far I am having to wait for the cpu, gpu and monitor because if i am getting a high end rig then i better get a decent monitor and i really want the g9 ;(

Citrus_9

Expert
out of all the 30 series, which would you say has the longest wait time? 3060?
The situations is changing weekly. If we ignore the one which are out of stock, the longest I think is 3080 or 3090. 3060Ti is currently out of stock, 3060 is not bad, but may get worse. 3070 substituting 3060Ti currently.

bleakcon

The situations is changing weekly. If we ignore the one which are out of stock, the longest I think is 3080 or 3090. 3060Ti is currently out of stock, 3060 is not bad, but may get worse. 3070 substituting 3060Ti currently.
I would be super surprised if the 3090 reaches anywhere near the 3080 in terms of stock issues but what do I know about PCS's stock :D

Citrus_9

Expert
I would be super surprised if the 3090 reaches anywhere near the 3080 in terms of stock issues but what do I know about PCS's stock :D
I don't know about stock either. But I agree, I probably shouldn't have mentioned 3090 at all. Just see some people switching from 3080 to 3090. The 3090 is a very expensive GPU and a price difference vs 3080 is not really worth the extra performance, except if it's for some extreme professional video editing. Also, 3090 is being manufactured in lower quantities than 3080. So trying to think logically here.

ish

I actually just made the switch from a 3080 to a strix 3090 for the shorter wait. I hope it goes into building very soon.

baymen

I bought the 3090 because of the other reason you would buy one: machine learning. 8/12 gb VRAM is not enough for the gargantuan models being peddled these days with 500 million parameters. So I am very happy indeed such a card exist and I don't have to look into "professional" Titan cards or whatever that cost twice as much.

I will also say that 24 gb VRAM is indeed the future of gaming. Companies will start making games with neural networks that will be called in real time to generate AI behaviour, assets, dialog and the model will need to be on the GPU.

JediMonsoon

Gold Level Poster
I bought the 3090 because of the other reason you would buy one: machine learning. 8/12 gb VRAM is not enough for the gargantuan models being peddled these days with 500 million parameters. So I am very happy indeed such a card exist and I don't have to look into "professional" Titan cards or whatever that cost twice as much.

I will also say that 24 gb VRAM is indeed the future of gaming. Companies will start making games with neural networks that will be called in real time to generate AI behaviour, assets, dialog and the model will need to be on the GPU.
you sound like Kyle Reece describing skynets development here!

bleakcon

you sound like Kyle Reece describing skynets development here!
Go with him if you want to game :)

They might have a point though!

My personal opinion though is I am buying a product that works a little better currently than the 3080 but isn't a justifiable purchase anymore than the cosmos case I added lol....I wanted the pretty lights.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine

AI GPU processing is already a thing, that’s exactly what DLSS is but it’s mainly done server side and I don’t think they’ll change that. The long term goal for gaming is streaming.

AlienBzkts

There is no logical reason to switch to a 3090 unless you're aiming for productivity and rendering, I think.

Switching to 3080 to 3090 to skip the queue? Absolutely!
Was it needed/will play games a lot better? Nope!
Could I have stayed with my old pc with a 1080ti? Absolutely yes!
Do I need the 3090 for productivity? No, not really come on.
Is it worth it, money-wise? Absolutely not, in my case.

Sometimes decisions like these come from the hearth, fulfilled by pure passion and no logic. Get the best, even if it's not the best value for your money. Why then? With those changes, you're "buying" happiness, but this works only in certain cases.
And you know what? I love it, no regrets here pulling the trigger :D

I currently waiting in my pc to go into build I have currently chosen the 3080. I am only on 7 days, being a video editor the 3090 would work well for me. How long is the wait if I upgraded are we looking more weeks or a couple of months.

Last edited: