Admit it, you bought the 3090 because the 3080 wait times were too much for you

Gus

Bronze Level Poster
yes bought the 3090 down to wait times, mine hit around day 50 in pre-production. I got mine in January because of the Zotac 3090, but next pc in 5-7 years time I wont be buying 1st gen, I broke my golden rule and avoid 1st gen and paid the price with issues to be ironed out with no possible hardware revisions to help. Had to get an updated bios to fix random reboots due to the bios not seeing the CPU fan and triggering random reboots during very low load.

edit and oh and had a quick scroll up and seeing the Zotac getting some shade https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/57910364 I like the shade

mossmotorsport

Bronze Level Poster
It's worth the wait chaps, honestly!

firestrike.jpg

CMP01

Enthusiast
In answer to the title, almost. I might've but my mind was made already nm that my bank account just couldn't do it.

Well, I wasn't actually going for a 3090 as a quicker option over a 3080 but a 6900XT over a 6800XT, same reasoning though. Must admit that over the long term I'd feel better with the 3090's VRAM, if not the cost, but 16Gb will do fine (maybe even better than a faster 10) even with the other perks considered (and found wanting for now)
That 6900XT would've been an extra £300 or so for 10% more perf maybe but too much tbh despite either being better for the wallet than Nvidia's big boys atm. Anyway, I sucked it up and was all set to wait a couple of months when I got clued in to a buy and got not only a 6800XT within 2 days but the brand and model I'd have bought had the choice been available sooner.
Not bad though the next day my nose literally exploded so yeah, karma's a funny old girl...

mossmotorsport

Bronze Level Poster
FWIW I find it helpful that with COD Black Ops / Warzone you can cache textures and add all sorts to the VRAM, so it really can be set to meet the maximum specifications of the card. My VRAM usage hovers at around 19GB in those games, for me I know I'd constantly be worried about the 3080 coming up short on VRAM. Mine is used for rendering and transcoding though, so the cost gets absorbed a bit differently.

CMP01

Enthusiast
FWIW I find it helpful that with COD Black Ops / Warzone you can cache textures and add all sorts to the VRAM, so it really can be set to meet the maximum specifications of the card. My VRAM usage hovers at around 19GB in those games, for me I know I'd constantly be worried about the 3080 coming up short on VRAM. Mine is used for rendering and transcoding though, so the cost gets absorbed a bit differently.

19Gb VRAM usage?!?! Wow.

Funny thing about usage. It was actually my old 1070 (yeah, I know, only GDDR5 etc) using most of it's VRAM at 1080p recently in a certain game already over 3 years old that I'll be playing still for years (and it's sequel that's likely to be even more hungry) Didn't change overmuch capping fps by up to 50% either tbh.
So figuring I was going to be reaching for 1440UW/4K gaming I thought more would be better. Most of my games don't/won't be using RT/DLSS anytime soon either. All good and been a long, long time since I had AMD at all, the last time they competed in fact.
Well, apart from an A6 APU for a bit but that was trash. And hot.

But 19Gb though... damn!

CMP01

Enthusiast
And I remember playing on my first ever Voodoo graphics card with 8MB RAM :D

Those were the days, Quake and Doom looked fine back then!

View attachment 26066

I remembered seeing those but never had one. My first full GPU was a... come on brain... GeForce 5700 something around 2005. Tbh all I remember was it ran Rome Total War and Doom 3 ok and ran alongside a Pentium 4. This was a year or two after my first PC of any kind really, a Dell Inspiron laptop with a Pentium 3 that had enough graphics oomph to run Medieval Total War (common theme here, the number of PC's, gaming laptops for the most part, I've upgraded to run that next big Total War title...)

As a kid I had some cool enough stuff but hadn't the knowledge or will to make any real use of outside of games. A Dragon 32 when I was 8 or so and a Commodore 64 with the big disc drive (which I blew up later by accident) when I was 14 or so.

rouchie

Rising Star
My first proper home PC had 2mb ram and a 120mb hard drive running windows 3.1 (I was a bit of a latecomer to PC's) I remember feeling quite proud of myself when I upgraded the storage to an unimaginably huge 1gb!!

baymen

Pentium 3 with a Voodoo 3. Had my best time with it in the golden age of gaming - Deus Ex, Operation Flashpoint, Red Alert, Starcraft and the list goes on and on.
My 5950x with 3090 RTX is in testing now. Boy what a journey through Moree's Law!

Schmoo2k

Bronze Level Poster
I switched to the XFX RX 6900 XT and its in Build today (16 working days) for a 166EUR premium on a 3080...

Schmoo2k

Bronze Level Poster
...and while it was "in build" I switched to a MSI 3080 Suprim X - in testing today @ 17 working days!!!!

SaxonRix

Bronze Level Poster
Anyone had one delivered/ordered recently? I've just ordered today & know it can be between 2-8 weeks depending. Just trying to get a feel for it.

JimmieeB

Bronze Level Poster
Anyone had one delivered/ordered recently? I've just ordered today & know it can be between 2-8 weeks depending. Just trying to get a feel for it.
I got told 14 to 50 days but there is no solid number XD I am litterelly checking every day haha only on 8 days. Fingers crossed they get a big batch of cards.