Admit it, you bought the 3090 because the 3080 wait times were too much for you

loso64

There is no logical reason to switch to a 3090 unless you're aiming for productivity and rendering, I think.

Switching to 3080 to 3090 to skip the queue? Absolutely!
Was it needed/will play games a lot better? Nope!
Could I have stayed with my old pc with a 1080ti? Absolutely yes!
Do I need the 3090 for productivity? No, not really come on.
Is it worth it, money-wise? Absolutely not, in my case.

Sometimes decisions like these come from the hearth, fulfilled by pure passion and no logic. Get the best, even if it's not the best value for your money. Why then? With those changes, you're "buying" happiness, but this works only in certain cases.
And you know what? I love it, no regrets here pulling the trigger :D
pretty much the same for me. Which reminds me i need to find someone who wants 1080ti strix oc :D

TomBerry

Bright Spark
I currently waiting in my pc to go into build I have currently chosen the 30&0. I amonly on 7 days, being a video editor the 3090 would work well for me. How long is the wait if I upgraded are we looking more weeks or a couple of months.
The current wait for the 3090 (non-STRIX version) is 4-6 weeks, as of yesterday's live chat :)

TomBerry

Bright Spark
i wonder what is the wait on strix version, because i really dont want those zotiac or palit version cards
To be honest, the ZOTAC or Palit cards look really pretty! The ETA for the STRIX version is the 10th June, then you've got to take in the wait for the cards that are allocated before your order. Here's some pics of the gorgeous ZOTAC and Palit cards!

1620133424939.png
1620133458064.png

Edit: Not a fan of the Palit one now I've seen it...but the ZOTAC one I'm a big fan of

loso64

To be honest, the ZOTAC or Palit cards look really pretty! The ETA for the STRIX version is the 10th June, then you've got to take in the wait for the cards that are allocated before your order. Here's some pics of the gorgeous ZOTAC and Palit cards!

View attachment 25824 View attachment 25825

Edit: Not a fan of the Palit one now I've seen it...but the ZOTAC one I'm a big fan of
well, cooler means nothing to me, because i am doing watercooling. Zotac and palit cards had some caps problems from what i read and their bios is limited to 350W power limit, where strix is up to 480W power limits. Considering i wanna watercool, i will overclock too. So sadly those two models are not what i want. On top of that, strix has better power delivery and components, and 3 8pin plugs. So all in all, better card.

TomBerry

Bright Spark
well, cooler means nothing to me, because i am doing watercooling. Zotac and palit cards had some caps problems from what i read and their bios is limited to 350W power limit, where strix is up to 480W power limits. Considering i wanna watercool, i will overclock too. So sadly those two models are not what i want. On top of that, strix has better power delivery and components, and 3 8pin plugs. So all in all, better card.
Ah that's understandable then, didn't realise you were going for watercooling so I know nothing about it. If you're up for the wait of the STRIX card then it'll be worth it even more :)

bleakcon

I currently waiting in my pc to go into build I have currently chosen the 30&0. I amonly on 7 days, being a video editor the 3090 would work well for me. How long is the wait if I upgraded are we looking more weeks or a couple of months.
Someone was throwing a 3-4 week number around but its really not for us to say, its all pure speculation.

BerryBalls

Hopefully if the 4-6 week wait time is correct what they gave me I should be able to switch it just in time. If not then, hey, it's a 3090 😅

I'd definitely say the ASUS ROG STRIX version of the 3080
Definitely - This is how long I've been waiting on the Strix. I'll change to 3080ti too probably

190654625-11-2020 00:07Pre-Production116 working daysN/A

TomBerry

Bright Spark
Definitely - This is how long I've been waiting on the Strix. I'll change to 3080ti too probably

I really don't think I'd have the patience for this, how you've waited so long will never know!!

loso64

yeah the wait on 3080 is the sole reason i decided to go for 3090. But considering i want strix, i am still gonna wait a bunch, but definitely should be less then half of your wait time

bleakcon

yeah the wait on 3080 is the sole reason i decided to go for 3090. But considering i want strix, i am still gonna wait a bunch, but definitely should be less then half of your wait time
I would have thought that thing would have not been too hard to get hold of, bit of a weird one having a gaming branded card which seems more aimed towards producitivty

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I would have thought that thing would have not been too hard to get hold of, bit of a weird one having a gaming branded card which seems more aimed towards producitivty
It's not a gaming card, it's the new nomenclature for the Titan which was always a production oriented card.

loso64

indeed, it can still run games incredibly well, but the price to performance is just not there. It is for productivity. That is why i am thinking of downgrading to 3080ti later, if water block will be available.

I actually just made the switch from a 3080 to a strix 3090 for the shorter wait. I hope it goes into building very soon.
as soon as i changed my nvidia 3090 to rog strix 3090, it went build in a few days, so i feel you are close.

loso64

as soon as i changed my nvidia 3090 to rog strix 3090, it went build in a few days, so i feel you are close.
how long have you been waiting? i am on production date 12 so far with strix 3090, and still preproduction. I have switched to strix 3090 on day 4. so it has already been 8 days of preproduction with that one selected

how long have you been waiting? i am on production date 12 so far with strix 3090, and still preproduction. I have switched to strix 3090 on day 4. so it has already been 8 days of preproduction with that one selected
I have been waiting 42 days with nvidia 3090. Like i said as soon as i changed my card as a strix 3090 status has changed. When i talk PCS support service they said, they have been waiting another stock at middle of this month. Probably you won't wait around 40 days like me.

loso64

I have been waiting 42 days with nvidia 3090. Like i said as soon as i changed my card as a strix 3090 status has changed. When i talk PCS support service they said, they have been waiting another stock at middle of this month. Probably you won't wait around 40 days like me.
well fingers crossed :D

BerryBalls

I really don't think I'd have the patience for this, how you've waited so long will never know!!
At this point, I've just given up caring really, since lockdown prompted the upgrade. If it gets here before a year since I ordered it I'll be relieved though. Hah.

grunge

I ordered a 3080 back in febuary as my current pc was in decline have 1060 fitted that overheats and crahes consistently . after multiple crashes last week and only on day 50 of wait crumbled and changed order to 3090 pc has gone into testing today including bank holiday 3 day wait

bleakcon

I ordered a 3080 back in febuary as my current pc was in decline have 1060 fitted that overheats and crahes consistently . after multiple crashes last week and only on day 50 of wait crumbled and changed order to 3090 pc has gone into testing today including bank holiday 3 day wait
wait you got your gpu 3 days of waiting, wowzers which 3090 ?