Advice about amending order

soniczoo

Hi,
I have ordered a new PC from PCS (to replace my old one) and it is currently in pre production. I use the PC for graphic designs, web designs and video editing as well as playing games (F1 2010, NFS, Tombraider etc). I originally ordered an 1GB ATI RADEON™ HD5450 thinking that the games I play ran fine in my old PC (520 HD 4600, 4GB Ram, Core 2 duo) but now I 've changed my mind and for the shake of a few xtra £s I think it is worth amending my order to an 1GB ATI RADEON™ HD5770. The 5450 had a minimum requirement of 350W (PSU) so I went for a 600W as I would add another 2 internal drives and an AV/DV2 PCI card. My question (finally!!!!) is:
If I go for the 5770 which has a 600W minimum requirement do I have to also upgrade to an 800W PSU or am I OK?

Thanks for your input and I must say that reading through the forums I am very impressed with the service that PCS give their customers!

My specs:

Case
STYLISH PIANO BLACK ENIGMA CASE + 2 FRONT USB
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i7-870 Quad Core (2.93GHz, 8MB Cache) + Turbo Boost
Motherboard
ASUS® P7P55D-E: USB 3.0, SATA 6.0GB/s, CrossFireX™ SUPPORT
Memory (RAM)
8GB SAMSUNG DDR3 DUAL-DDR3 1333MHz (2 X 4GB)
Graphics Card
1GB ATI RADEON™ HD5450 - DVI,HDMI,VGA - DirectX® 11
2nd Graphics Card
NONE
3rd Graphics Card
NONE
Memory - 1st Hard Disk
1TB SERIAL ATA 3-Gb/s HARD DRIVE WITH 16MB CACHE (7,200rpm)
2nd Hard Disk
NONE
RAID
NONE
1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM
2nd DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
NONE
Memory Card Reader
INTERNAL 52 IN 1 CARD READER (XD, MS, CF, SD, etc) + 1 x USB 2.0 PORT
Power Supply
600W Quiet 80 PLUS Quad Rail PSU + 120mm Case Fan (£59)
Processor Cooling
SUPER QUIET 22dBA TRIPLE COPPER HEATPIPE CPU COOLER (£19)
Sound Card
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Network Facilities
ONBOARD 10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT - AS STANDARD ON ALL PCs
USB Options
6 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL (MIN 2 FRONT PORTS) AS STANDARD
Modem
NONE, I WILL BE USING BROADBAND
Floppy Disk Drive
NONE
Firewire & Video Editing
NONE
TV Card
NONE
Operating System
NO OPERATING SYSTEM REQUIRED
Office Software
NO OFFICE SOFTWARE
Anti-Virus
NO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE
Monitor
NONE
2nd Monitor
NONE
DVI-D & HDMI Monitor Cables
NONE
Eyefinity / GeForce 3D Vision
NONE
Keyboard & Mouse
NONE
Mouse
NONE
Speakers
NONE
Webcam
Logitech® Webcam C210 - built-in-mic & VGA quality video sensor (£15)
Headsets (VOIP)
NONE
Surge Protection
NONE
Printer
NONE
External Hard Drive
NONE
Home Installation
NONE
Warranty
3 Year Standard Warranty (1 Month Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour)
Data Recovery
NONE
Delivery
STANDARD INSURED DELIVERY TO UK MAINLAND (MON-FRI)
Build Time
Standard Build - Approximately 9 to 13 working days

MickyG

Enthusiast
Hey soniczoo, welcome to the forums :)

Well, the 600W power supply will be more than enough with the above build, there are a few changes I'd recommend, what's your budget?

G

soniczoo

Hi G
thanks for your reply. I always like to have a comfortable head room on the PSU as I will add the extra drives and the PCI card. My budget is around £750.

MickyG

Enthusiast
Well 450W would be fine with your spec, but, if you want a 600W just in case you add other components (or upgrade others later) it would be a good idea. Also I doubt you'd need 8gb of RAM, so you could downgrade to 4gb and save some money. Also if you want to go cheaper you could try AMD CPU, I could look at building something on here if you want an idea of the cost difference?

G

soniczoo

Hi G
The ram is needed for the graphics, especially for the poster size ones (high quality print res). I have been working with 4gb so far and struggling some times. Also some of the video editing plugins are quite "ram-hungry". On the AMD CPU front as far as I know they are not as "Adobe-software-friendly" as the Intels, so since it is a tool of work for me I better stick to what has served me well over the years. But I do appreciate your input :)

MickyG

Enthusiast
It's no problem soniczoo, I (unlike yourself) don't have much knowledge on graphical design and the programs that are needed, but it's good to know that Intel are more, supportive shall we say, of Adobe software :p

G